PDA

View Full Version : Fabric ID Needed - Hessian Webbing

jimmy34
26th March 2013, 08:48 PM
Hello, James here in Hobart. I spend alot of time on the forum but don't have alot to say, so I tend to keep quiet. I acquired several rolls of the fabric pictured below, and was wondering if anybody knows what it is and what it is used for. Thanks very much.

giddleberry
26th March 2013, 10:19 PM
Not sure how wide the stuff in your photo is but I've used similar stuff to restore an old chair. It was used to hold the springs in place.

jmaxwell
29th March 2013, 10:40 AM
its hessian with a paper backing it is not webbing ,webbing is only 50mm wide and a lot thicker than your pic .I have not seen that before and hessian is a lot wider that what you have.

China
31st March 2013, 10:46 PM
It looks as though you have off cuts from a much longer roll, paper backed hessian is used to cover pin up boards and as wall paper etc. the paper backing stops the hessian from saging

nrb
1st April 2013, 04:36 PM
Webbing for uphostery is about 50 mm wide as mentioned and has the edges woven in not loose like in the Pics.
One place to get this is at Clark Rubber.

mat_au
2nd April 2013, 12:18 PM
yes i think thats just normal hessian

webbing is alot thicker and notmally has some colour strips down it for the grade

there is a good upholstery place in seaford called fleetwood

jimmy34
19th April 2013, 08:08 PM
Gday folks thanks for the replies, we have established that it is just hessian with a paper backing.. the rolls are about 6 inches wide. does anybody know what it would have been used for? I have alot of it and have a few ideas what I will use it for, but would still like to know its intended purpose. Ta, James

China
20th April 2013, 12:55 AM
As said in my previous reply it is used for covering pin up boards and wall paper etc, what you have is offcuts from a longer roll