PDA

View Full Version : What type of material should i use to finish marquetry picture?

nydimka23
28th March 2013, 04:59 AM
Hello, I am new to marquetry and trying to make few simple pictures. My question is around finishing the work. I have my picture done and taped but i am not sure what to use as frame for it. Should i be using plywood to glue veneer picture on it or something else?

I have tried searching web for it and all i see is information on veneer but not the frame/base.

Thanks in advance
Dmitriy

AlexS
28th March 2013, 08:23 AM
I've used both plywood and MDF, and both seem to work OK. I haven't been doing it for too long, so how each will stand up in the long term I don't know. I expect that both will prove to be OK.
I always clean the backing with acetone immediately before gluing, and put veneer on the reverse side as well.

nydimka23
28th March 2013, 12:23 PM
I've used both plywood and MDF, and both seem to work OK. I haven't been doing it for too long, so how each will stand up in the long term I don't know. I expect that both will prove to be OK.
I always clean the backing with acetone immediately before gluing, and put veneer on the reverse side as well.

Thank you for advice.

Hermit
3rd April 2013, 02:07 PM
..... and put veneer on the reverse side as well.

Just spotted this. Another great tip, Alex, to stop the substrate from bowing. :2tsup:
I'll have to remember that.