PDA

View Full Version : Got meself a new cordless Ma!

martrix
28th April 2005, 10:36 AM
Hi y'all,
got maself a new cordless on tha weekend and had a practice on ma pops leg. My first project, yee haa, whaddya reckon?

On a more serious note, the attached X-Ray is of my dads ankle. Yes, they are 6 gauge screws and a mother 8 gauge 2 1/4 screw for added strength. This is an example of why you dont #u*c^ about on ladder's!! He was painting some high ceilings on a ladder, which was resting against a beam. Generally would have been pretty safe, had the feet of the ladder not been placed on top of a cotton drop sheet which was on top of a polished cork floor! As he shifted his weight, the feet and the dropsheet moved backward's until there was no beam left for the top of the ladder to lean on and, BOOM SHANKA! Down comes Pop and ladder, tangled between rung's and to top it off, landing on small flight of stairs. Paint went every where including over the T.V, video, speakers's, DVD, carpet to name a few. Looked like a bomb had gone off. Diagnosis, spiral fracture of ankle with surgery and wheelchair and 3-month's of no use. Very lucky that he only got those injuries, could have been much, much worse. All done on a sunday night, yay.
................Common sense cannot be bought.............

Cherrs Tim http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

craigb
28th April 2005, 10:58 AM
Strewth ! :eek:

Iain
28th April 2005, 01:48 PM
It's all your fault Tim, you should have been supervising as I see he has an 'L' plate on the top left X-Ray.
Trust all is well, a hard earned lesson.

Wayne Davy
28th April 2005, 10:37 PM
Ouch!!

My Dad, a few years back, decided to check out some Air Conditioner Units on top of a small Shop Complex he's trying to pay the Bank to own. Thing is, they were 2.5 stories up (on top of a stairwell) and Dad is scared of heights!! Now, all was going fine until, he said, he looked down - lost his balance and fell off.

Lucky for him, he fell onto the next door buildings Tin Roof which saved his life HOWEVER, he broke his back in multiple places and now he's now got so much Titanium Rods/Screws/etc in his back that a few Mining Coys want to get Mining Rights on him :D

He's Ok now but does get quite a few aches and pains especially when Rain is coming (Dad 'Oh my Back' - Mum 'Forget the BBQ - everyone inside'). Also, when they went overseas a couple of years ago, he had to take his X-Rays with him as he set of the Metal Detectors everytime.

craigb
28th April 2005, 11:18 PM
Matrix and Wayne,

Sorry to hear about your respective dad's misfortunes, but ain't it amazing what the orthopods can do nowadays?

30 yrs ago if you had Waynes' dad's injuries you were probably a quadreped. If you were lucky enough to survive that is.

Wayne Davy
29th April 2005, 12:37 AM
Craig,

That's what Dad's Doc said - years ago, at best, he would have had his Spine mostly fused together and would not have been able to bend at all. Luckily, he had no nerve damage.