PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Batch of Grinders

brendan stemp
28th March 2013, 10:49 PM
I've been busy making grinders. With this batch I used a variety of gumnuts, one banksia pod, timber is red gum and buloke and the resin is Epoxy. Finished with a pre-cat laquer. They have been photographed on their spraying posts after 3 coats. The Crushgrind mechanisms will be fitted up tomorrow.

tdrumnut
28th March 2013, 11:55 PM
Very nice, they all look excellent

dr4g0nfly
29th March 2013, 06:38 AM
Brendan,

that is a nice set of grinders. Pop up a completed picture as well please.

artme
29th March 2013, 12:46 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

brendan stemp
29th March 2013, 12:55 PM
3 of the completed grinders.

artme
29th March 2013, 05:13 PM
Man oh man!! What great conversation and argument starters you have created!! Brilliant!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

greyhound
1st April 2013, 07:03 PM
Brendan well done simply stunning:2tsup:.
Applying the resin to the Banksia pod did you turn the pod to a rough shape and then fill the holes a few at a time and wait for the resin to harden? before rotating to fill in more holes.
Did you use the Cast brand resin?
graham

brendan stemp
1st April 2013, 08:00 PM
Brendan well done simply stunning:2tsup:.
Applying the resin to the Banksia pod did you turn the pod to a rough shape and then fill the holes a few at a time and wait for the resin to harden? before rotating to fill in more holes.
Did you use the Cast brand resin?
graham

G'day Graham

I rough turned the banksia pod to fit into a 75mm pvc pipe. Interestingly, I have found the core of the banksia pod is generally a good place to position the live centre and drive as it tends to be the centre of the pods, even the asymmetrical ones. I use the bottom of the grinder (which is solid timber) as the plug for the pipe so I turn this small section of timber to the I.D. of the pipe which is 72mm and then fit the pipe onto the plug. Masking tape is used to seal the seam. I then place the pod into the pipe and pour the resin in very slowly so that it has a chance to fill the voids. When it is dry I simply turn the pipe off rather than trying to save it.

You could do it the way you suggested but it would be too time consuming for me.

The resin I use? See this link
606 Epoxy Resin Kit | Brendan Stemp (http://store.brendanstemp.com.au/products/606-epoxy-resin-kit)

Hope this helps.

mat_au
2nd April 2013, 09:34 AM
thanks for that info i may just add it to the list of things to try :D Ive never turned epoxy is there anything different in turning it that i have to watch out for?

greyhound
2nd April 2013, 01:17 PM
G'day Graham

I rough turned the banksia pod to fit into a 75mm pvc pipe. Interestingly, I have found the core of the banksia pod is generally a good place to position the live centre and drive as it tends to be the centre of the pods, even the asymmetrical ones. I use the bottom of the grinder (which is solid timber) as the plug for the pipe so I turn this small section of timber to the I.D. of the pipe which is 72mm and then fit the pipe onto the plug. Masking tape is used to seal the seam. I then place the pod into the pipe and pour the resin in very slowly so that it has a chance to fill the voids. When it is dry I simply turn the pipe off rather than trying to save it.

You could do it the way you suggested but it would be too time consuming for me.

The resin I use? See this link
606 Epoxy Resin Kit | Brendan Stemp (http://store.brendanstemp.com.au/products/606-epoxy-resin-kit)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Brendan,i did similar(my very first experiment with resin) on a very small pod using a cardboard tube out of a kitchen paper towel.I was not successful as only about 50% of the voids were filled and the rest were full of air.
I filled slowly but not slow enough??
Will chase you up at Ballarat for some more supplies to try again with another pod.