PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Metal Turning Job

NCArcher
12th April 2013, 01:09 PM
I need a small job done by someone versed in both wood and metal turning.
Whilst honeymooning in New Zealand several years ago, my wife and I walked the Milford track. A wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.
To assit with the 4 day walk, we purchased some walking sticks/hiking poles if you prefer. These hiking sticks (I'll stick with that name) were not that expensive but have some sentimental value. Rather than get some carbon fibre, extendable wonders we opted for the hand crafted wooden (possibly Rimu) one piece model.
We spent 3 weeks in NZ, flew back to Sydney, where we had stashed a different set of travelling clothes, and then flew to Japan the next day.
We basically packed all the NZ stuff we didn't need in Japan into a big bag and an obliging relative met us in Sydney and took the bad home for us.
To get the hiking sticks, which are 1300mm long, home I had to cut them in half, always with the intention of joining then together again at a later time.
I found them during a clean out recently and decided it was time to make them whole again.

I would like a brass, screw together fitting made and fitted to each stick.
Willing to pay for your time and materials of course.
Let me know if you have the capability and would like to give this a go. I have neither a wood or metal lathe.

DSEL74
12th April 2013, 02:18 PM
You might be able to get the joiners from a old two piece billiard cue.

NCArcher
12th April 2013, 02:22 PM
You might be able to get the joiners from a old two piece billiard cue.
Good idea DSEL. That's exactly what I had in mind.

nz_carver
12th April 2013, 03:29 PM
I'd send a pm mate and ask him to do it

wheelinround
12th April 2013, 03:34 PM
Tony bring it down to BMnts GTG and I'll have a look can't promise anything but will be best to see it.

NCArcher
12th April 2013, 03:59 PM
I'll bring it along to the GTG. If I can fit them in with all that stinky Tallowood taking up all the room.
Maybe will make another surprise visit Dave. I'm sure Grumpy's back will be flaring up around then.

wheelinround
12th April 2013, 10:17 PM
These are not walking sticks as such more Hiking staffs at 1300mm and would require an external furel to strengthen them I feel.

Edited to add links.

Tony this is more like it

Walking Cane Screw Joint | Walking Cane Company Blog (http://blog.walkingcaneco.com/index.php/tag/walking-cane-screw-joint/)

Or this and its more like a staff joint Multi-Function Walking Stick IV - Grip Strap (http://www.instructables.com/id/Multi-Function-Walking-Stick-IV-Grip-Strap/)

ian
12th April 2013, 11:00 PM
I need a small job done by someone versed in both wood and metal turning.
Whilst honeymooning in New Zealand several years ago, my wife and I walked the Milford track. A wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.
To assit with the 4 day walk, we purchased some walking sticks/hiking poles if you prefer. These hiking sticks (I'll stick with that name) were not that expensive but have some sentimental value. Rather than get some carbon fibre, extendable wonders we opted for the hand crafted wooden (possibly Rimu) one piece model.
We spent 3 weeks in NZ, flew back to Sydney, where we had stashed a different set of travelling clothes, and then flew to Japan the next day.
We basically packed all the NZ stuff we didn't need in Japan into a big bag and an obliging relative met us in Sydney and took the bad home for us.
To get the hiking sticks, which are 1300mm long, home I had to cut them in half, always with the intention of joining then together again at a later time.
I found them during a clean out recently and decided it was time to make them whole again.

I would like a brass, screw together fitting made and fitted to each stick.
Willing to pay for your time and materials of course.
Let me know if you have the capability and would like to give this a go. I have neither a wood or metal lathe.you're thinking a fitting something like these ? Brass Cane Joins - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=41005&cat=3,48759,43733&ap=1)

or these Veritas® Couplers - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=32835&cat=3,48759,43733&ap=1)

NCArcher
13th April 2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks Ian, I think the ones that Ray posted would be better. The sticks can have a bit of pressure on them and the LV ones would blow out the side of the stick I think. Even the copper one, which appears to be a plumbing fitting, would probably do the job. The staffs (much classier word than sticks:U) are just a smidge over 1 inch at the cut. I might try and drop into the plumbing supplies and see what they have in stock.

RhysM
13th April 2013, 09:27 AM
I'd be interested to see what you come up with to fix the problem. I do a bit of landscape photography and I've been thinking of making my own hiking stick to take along. As the bed on my lathe is only 800mm long I'd would have to be at least a two piece design.

Thanks
Rhys

Christos
15th April 2013, 09:38 AM
Personally I like the idea of the extra metal for the joint.

Wood Nut
15th April 2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Tony,

Only just got the internet back on (out since early last week) and noticed your post. Can have a look on the way down if you like and then see what Ray comes up with - he'd have seen Rolly Munro's demonstration by then so maybe he can do a hollow form:o:no::C

Cheers,
Paul

NCArcher
15th April 2013, 06:56 PM
We've got a 3 hr drive. Have you got a 12V lathe? :U

Wood Nut
15th April 2013, 07:36 PM
Now there's a thought, but the speed you drive at would make for a real adventure in the back of the ute - especially on the Putty Rd.:no:

Pac man
15th April 2013, 07:42 PM
An inverter perhaps?

NCArcher
15th April 2013, 07:48 PM
I'd slow down to sub sonic if you were doing a fiddly bit :U

Wood Nut
15th April 2013, 08:27 PM
An inverter perhaps?

Can you buy a BERG inverter?????????????????????????????

wheelinround
15th April 2013, 08:29 PM
Now that I'd like to see Wood Nut surfing the back of the ute turning as Tony zips around 16 k's of S's you'd have it done by the time you got here then Wood nut could use it I hear Brets place is a bit of a hike

wheelinround
9th May 2013, 03:36 PM
Awaiting Brass although I bought some today $99 for a 1m x 56 mm dia :oo: Sue fainted

wheelinround
13th December 2014, 06:08 PM
Took some searching to locate this thread didn't think it was that long ago sorry Tony almost completed.

Joint for Tony (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=190835)

Man those New Zealanders know how to make things difficult oval shaped as well as wouldn't run true............then the bloke who tried to centre the cut :p before I got them.:roll:

On darwing the TPI is noted as 24tpi the finished product is 16tpi thanks to mates boss who had tap and die set to suit ............yes I know I had dreams of cutting my first thread on the Myford at 24 tpi but in discussion with a few and my own thoughts 24 tpi was to fine for the use.

DSEL74
13th December 2014, 09:54 PM
Nice work…..but what is a Hicking Suck Adaptor as per drawings???? :o Sounds kinda kinky:B

wheelinround
14th December 2014, 08:30 AM
Nice work…..but what is a Hicking Suck Adaptor as per drawings???? :o Sounds kinda kinky:B

They are Kiwi Hiking sticks after all :;

NCArcher
14th December 2014, 08:52 AM
I think in NZ they are called Tramping Stucks.
They look awesome. Thanks Ray.
I'll fire off a pm in a minute.

DaveTTC
15th December 2014, 05:29 PM
Yes I remember a mate of mine telling me how he and his wife like to go for a good tramp.

I remember this thread from when it first popped up.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

hughie
15th December 2014, 10:23 PM
Took some searching to locate this thread didn't think it was that long ago sorry Tony almost completed.

Joint for Tony (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=190835)

Man those New Zealanders know how to make things difficult oval shaped as well as wouldn't run true............then the bloke who tried to centre the cut :p before I got them.:roll:

On darwing the TPI is noted as 24tpi the finished product is 16tpi thanks to mates boss who had tap and die set to suit ............yes I know I had dreams of cutting my first thread on the Myford at 24 tpi but in discussion with a few and my own thoughts 24 tpi was to fine for the use.

All things considered Ray I think its a damn fine job. :2tsup:

wheelinround
16th December 2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments.

All completed cept for final finish on timber :p leaving that for Tony to do.

Anyone who was in Cubs/Scouts, Boys Brigade/CEBS, Girl Guides or even military some schools even and were flag bearers will surely have come across a similar joint used often with longer/deeper recess for the timber to sit in.

Christos
16th December 2014, 04:00 PM
They are Kiwi Hiking sticks after all :;

You had me on the floor with this one. :rofl:

wheelinround
16th December 2014, 04:06 PM
You had me on the floor with this one. :rofl:

Get back to work you have no time for jocularity :q

wheelinround
17th December 2014, 12:57 PM
For Mr & Mrs Gandalf:U

Evanism
18th December 2014, 02:12 AM
I'm really impressed.

How do you join the sockets so firmly to the stick?

The link to the walking cane place was wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

wheelinround
19th December 2014, 07:02 AM
I'm really impressed.

How do you join the sockets so firmly to the stick?

The link to the walking cane place was wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Joint is push fit but I used epoxy had considered either a brass through pin or screw as well but as the glue joint at this stage is solid either can still be done at a latter date.

I had also considered a threaded joint between wood and brass but not enough material length/depth along the shaft without damaging the map.