PDA

View Full Version : 1st birthday celebrations: some turnings from this year

michael_m
14th April 2013, 10:44 PM
Hi all, I haven't posted much lately, because I haven't had much of a chance to get out to the lathe since Christmas. But I have had the odd opportunity on and off, so I thought I'd share some of the things I've managed. Also, April is the first anniversary of me getting a lathe and starting woodturning so what better way to celebrate :D.

Comments and suggestions for improvement gratefully received!

I had a go at some off-centre turning in January, and came up with this bowl, from Pacific fir or similar.

Then in March I had a chance to turn some pens again, and made a Jr Gent and Baron II out of blackwood and a slimline pencil out of redgum.

And these easter holidays I bought a decorating elf, but baulked at the added cost of the coving and point tools, so made them myself from some HSS blanks from Gary Pye, saving myself about $50. (There are two good customer service stories in getting the elf and tools; I went to Pop's Shed to buy the elf straight after Easter, but they had sold out. The next ones in were going to arrive later in the week so they offered to post it out gratis when it arrived. I had the elf in my hand, express posted, 4 days later. The next week I ordered the HSS blanks from Gary Pye and had them the next morning express posted, in spite of me only paying for regular post.)

The coving/point tool handles are made from some old redgum from some old buildings that were pulled down in Kew a few years ago. The wood is somewhere between 50 and 80 years old.

I have also found time to make a small fruit bowl for my sister in law from some of the same redgum. It is 25cm diameter and around 7cm high. I thought about filling the cracks in the top (left from decades of weathering) but a) I quite liked how they look and b) I had nothing to fill them with :B.

It was also the first time I used the decorating elf and coving tool, to decorate the base of the bowl.

Cheers, Mike

dr4g0nfly
15th April 2013, 05:35 AM
Michael,

I don't know where to begin, the offset bowl is great, the brain on the baron pen is stunning, well done on making your own tools and the colour of the Red Gum ... well I'd love some of our English woods to be that colour. :2tsup:

Christos
15th April 2013, 08:48 AM
That's a great effort on the work that you produced. Happy anniversary from an older turner but only 6 months older. :U

turnerted
15th April 2013, 05:46 PM
Great work. just imagine what you'll be turning out by your 10th .
Ted

RhysM
17th April 2013, 08:17 AM
Great work mate. I bought my lathe a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I've been so busy with work that all if turned is a mallet. Hopefully by the time I've had mine a year, I'll have some nice pieces like yours.

Cheers
Rhys

bassmansimon
18th April 2013, 08:22 AM
Great work. My 1 year is coming up soon too - might have to make a similar post.
I love the off-centre turning. It's something I haven't tried but I do admire those that do it well. Very nice work

artme
18th April 2013, 04:34 PM
Classy turning there old son!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

michael_m
22nd April 2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks all, I'm blushing :B:B