PDA

View Full Version : Plates and bowls

Bluegum
14th April 2013, 10:56 PM
I have been asked by a staff member at work if I can turn her out 30 plates and bowls for a medieval dinner she wants to host later this year. She wants to use brushbox from a property she has access to. I was iterested to know if there should be anything to worry about in regards to toxins in wood and any issues I should be aware of for things being food safe as such.

Tony Morton
14th April 2013, 11:15 PM
HI Dave

If the brush box is anything like here its full of silica very hard on tools in the mills the general run of hardwoods you could use a saw for half a day before sharpening with the brush box some times it was only half an hour.
Cheers Tony

hughie
15th April 2013, 01:56 PM
Do a search on the forum as this subject has come up several times and various lists have been posted in regard to toxic dust etc.

turnerted
15th April 2013, 05:39 PM
I have seen some nice bowls turned from brushbox and have turned a few small items from it . It smells nice when you turn it . I imagine you would not be putting any finish on it for a job like this, so toxins from a finish would not be an issue.I don't suppose they're going to chew on the plates.
Ted

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2013, 06:31 PM
Brushbox should be fine for this application... but personally I reckon it's a mongrel to work.

Could be just the pieces I had, but I spent more time at the sharpening station than at the lathe...

RETIRED
15th April 2013, 07:16 PM
Will second that.

Rod Gilbert
15th April 2013, 07:37 PM
And again you will turn your grindstone more than the brushbox.
Regards Rod.:C

Bluegum
15th April 2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate all your advise espcially about its working properties. Might have my work cut out for me by the sounds of it.

Pat
16th April 2013, 05:38 AM
May I suggest Carbide for your turning tools.

Bluegum
16th April 2013, 09:14 PM
I mentioned to my client today the information everyone has given me and gave her a little food for thought. Up to her what she wants to do now I guess. I am happy to go through with it but I will wait to see what she wants to do. As long as its not the week before she wants it done.

RETIRED
16th April 2013, 09:58 PM
Probably won't give you that much lead time. The day before will be closer to the mark.:wink: