PDA

View Full Version : cup finish

spencer411
17th April 2013, 01:56 AM
hi guys i am seriously fresh to turning but just bought my first lathe and am very keen to get some hips flying. anyway i would love to make some turned coffee cups/ tumbler type cups that sort of thing. my question is, what is a good finish for timber cups which will hold hot/cold beverages?? i've read that mineral oil or walnut oil work, although i though the oil would alter the taste of the drink. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks. spencer.

issatree
17th April 2013, 02:46 AM
Hi Spencer,
There is another way, & you can buy the Infill, & I think you Turn the out side.
You may have to go through CWS, Carbi-tec, GPW, Catalogs.
As for a finish for your all Wooden Cups, & I'm not too sure, but I think 2 Part Plastic maybe the way to go.

ian thorn
17th April 2013, 08:59 AM
I would sugest you dont use walnut oil on any food item as it can give some people a bad alergic reaction ,there is an item in the Jan woodturning mag on this

Cheers Ian

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2013, 09:19 AM
I would suggest Rustins Plastic Coating

Available from CWS Store - Rustins Plastic Coating | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-rustins-plastic-coating)

Mulgabill
17th April 2013, 10:59 AM

Available from CWS Store - Rustins Plastic Coating | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-rustins-plastic-coating)

Yes spencer, as DJ suggests. I use Rustins Plastic Coating on wine goblets. It does take a little work but if you follow the instructions it gives you a good high gloss finish that is not effected by fluids, including alcohol, when fully cured.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th April 2013, 12:09 PM

Thirded. :2tsup:

I use it inside all of my goblets for just the reasons you describe.

For goblets that're meant to be users I'll often apply it inside and out.

I don't particularly like the feel of it in the hand, so for 'display' goblets I'll finish the outside in something else, usually DO. (I still finish the insides with Rustin's, as I've had too many complaints about display pieces 'mysteriously' developing red stains inside... stains complete with tide marks. :rolleyes: Some people just can't help themselves but pour a dash of red plonk inside for a 'test run.')

ian thorn
17th April 2013, 03:45 PM
Is the rustins plastic coating clear or coloured it sounds like a good product but i havent seen it for sale here

Ian

Mulgabill
17th April 2013, 04:46 PM
Ian, It is a clear finish. Available in Oz from here Rustins products (http://www.rustins.com.au/rustins/rustinsproducts%20p1.htm) I don't know if they post to NZ. I guess an email to them would get the answer.
According to the Google machine there does not appear to be a reseller on NZ.

spencer411
18th April 2013, 02:03 AM
Hi guys thanks for the advice. Is the rustins food safe???

dr4g0nfly
18th April 2013, 06:16 AM
Cap I throw tuppence worth into the ring.

Coopered barrels hold all the good things in life (Whisky, Brandy, Beer, wine)and aren't finished internally with anything, and they don't leak, so is it necessary?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2013, 11:45 AM
Hi guys thanks for the advice. Is the rustins food safe???

Yes, once it has cured. 'Tis good practice to put any recently finished items aside for a week or two to allow any volatiles to evaporate. Especially when "food safe" is an issue.

Coopered barrels hold all the good things in life (Whisky, Brandy, Beer, wine)and aren't finished internally with anything, and they don't leak, so is it necessary?

Necessary? No. But consider this; barrels are designed so that any moisture they absorb swells the staves and ensures water-tight joints. Consequently, they do absorb flavour and colouring. Once a barrel is used for... let's say Whisky... a decent brewer will not use it for anything else. It's whisky only. (And maybe, when the barrel is retired, it'll be broken down into shavings and sold to fuel Smokers. Yummm... Jack Daniels Jerky!)

And have you seen the inside of an old barrel? Discoloured and grungy. :) Works well inside a barrel, but not so good inside your drinking vessel. (Especially one that'll be sold to the general public and hence you really ought to 'idiot proof' the transaction if you value your butt. :rolleyes:)

So, necessary, no.

A good idea? Yes. :D

ian thorn
18th April 2013, 09:59 PM
Ian, It is a clear finish. Available in Oz from here Rustins products (http://www.rustins.com.au/rustins/rustinsproducts%20p1.htm) I don't know if they post to NZ. I guess an email to them would get the answer.
According to the Google machine there does not appear to be a reseller on NZ.

Thanks for that Bill I will inquire here in NZ

Ian