PDA

View Full Version : Made my own compass!

TreeClimberNick
17th April 2013, 06:00 PM
So I don't have a compass and when making bowls- you kinda need one. Go figure!

I haven't found a suitable one for a reasonable price. I decided to make my own until I decide to cough up the money to buy a nice one.

So I took this piece of scrap 2x2, drilled some holes in it then lathed it into this elongated shape...

Insert tiny screw driver into the little hole and drop a pen into the other holes...

It works!

I don't have a drill press, so the holes don't line up all perfect- but it gets the job done and allowed me to cut a 12" bowl blank today!

love
nick

artme
17th April 2013, 06:54 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
17th April 2013, 08:14 PM
hi nick,
that is pretty flash nick,i just use a piece of wire wrapped
around a pencil with a nail in the other end:B
but i like your idea too!!!!!!!!!!! i might just pinch that :;
cheers smiife:2tsup:

RhysM
17th April 2013, 08:14 PM
Improvisation can be the mother of invention. Well done mate. :2tsup:

chambezio
17th April 2013, 08:16 PM
Nick, You may have some Australian blood in your DNA. That sort of improvisation is some we Aussies do a lot

ian thorn
17th April 2013, 08:34 PM
yes I made one the same ,but now I have cut a stack of discs varying sizes out of scrap thin Md with small hole in the center I place flat head nail in the hole place disc over block and drive the nail part way home, then cut the block on the band saw just outside the disc result a reasonly well balanced turning blank, its cheap and easly replaced if you have an opps :o

Cheers Ian

Colin62
17th April 2013, 08:49 PM
...lathed it into this dildo shape...

Love the technical terminology there :D

TreeClimberNick
18th April 2013, 03:14 AM
You gotta admit- there isn't a better way to describe it!

I only wish I had a drill press so the holes would've been aligned.

But- the most important part is that it works!

love
nick

dr4g0nfly
18th April 2013, 06:19 AM
A very clever solution. I can think of a lot of more difficult ways to achieve this, but this must win the 'Keep it simple stupid' prize.

Brilliant, well done.

TreeClimberNick
18th April 2013, 08:20 AM
The little screw driver as the center point was found on the sidewalk the day before! I ground the tip to a blunt point.

I wonder how well a ball point pen will work on wet wood. We shall see

love
nick

Pagie
18th April 2013, 01:46 PM
We in Australia don't know what is a "bleeped" :no:shape? :roll::roll:

shedbound
18th April 2013, 02:01 PM
This is how i have been cutting my bowl blanks which is great if you have a bandsaw, it eliminates the need for a compass just need to drill a small hole for the pin on the jig which can easily be adjusted for any radius , the jig slides on the bs table until the blade and pin line up and simply turn the stock until you have a near perfect circle