PDA

View Full Version : ELu DB180

j&j
21st April 2013, 08:13 PM
If I may I would like to ask you bloke's for some advice, I usually post in the scale modeling section
with the sign on j&j. I am now looking for a pre loved wood lathe to improve my limited woodworking skill's. I have been offered a ELu db180 with a few swedish
chisel's for a reasonable price. As I have never heard of this brand can anybody please help as to whether to purchase this lathe or not. Being new to turning I'am in the dark re, reliabilty, h/power & useability.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank's in advance, Jim.

RETIRED
21st April 2013, 08:53 PM
Much as I hate to say it. Leave it alone.They are light in construction. It is impossible very hard to fit anything OTHER than Elu accessories.

j&j
21st April 2013, 10:23 PM
, I love it when a bloke does not hold back & tell's it like it is.
I will take your advice & thank's for your opinion. What do you think of
my next choice? A Hare & Forbes Hafco Woodmaster. 1HP swivel head, variable speed control &
cast iron construction, model wl-18. As a novice to woodturning any & all
help & advice is much appreciated.

Thank's again Jim.

chuck1
24th April 2013, 01:26 PM
the hafco is a step in the better direction! I worked at a staircase factory and all they had was an Elu it was very frustrating to turn on all the fittings are alloy and liked to break, someone had made toolrest stocks but the distance between the round bar for the bed made it hard to get the toolrest close enough for turning balusters!the only good thing on it was the motor,
and they dont have enough speeds!

j&j
24th April 2013, 10:48 PM
chuck1,
Thank you for taking time to reply, you have confirmed what had to say & I have not gone with the Elu.
I thought my deodorant must have gone off with 150 view's & only one reply.
I would still like somebody who has owned or used a Hafco Woodmaster 1hp lathe to give me
an honest opinion of this lathe. I am new to wood turning & I would not like to purchase lemon like the
Elu DB180.
All advice from you bloke's appreciated

Thank's Jim.

orificiam
24th April 2013, 11:23 PM
Hello Jim' I owned a Hafco WL18, and it served me well for 8 Years,
The only thing I wasn't Happy about was the minimum Speed At 500 RPM I found it a little to high,
But the lathe never let me Down.

Cheers Tony.:)

Paul39
25th April 2013, 04:48 AM
Hello Jim' I owned a Hafco WL18, and it served me well for 8 Years,
The only thing I wasn't Happy about was the minimum Speed At 500 RPM I found it a little to high,
But the lathe never let me Down.

My 350mm swing Hegner has a slow speed of 700 rpm. Big out of balance bowl blanks can make me a bit anxious but it is workable.

orificiam
25th April 2013, 08:20 AM
My 350mm swing Hegner has a slow speed of 700 rpm. Big out of balance bowl blanks can make me a bit anxious but it is workable.

Hello Paul. It certainly is workable and I worked with it for 8 years, But my Little Woodfast Midi as the same 300mm Swing as the WL18 and can turn at a lower speed of 350 RPM, very convenient for Thread Chasing and out of balance chunks of wood.
and with a bed extension I can do the same work as the WL18, Which is still a good Lathe if Speed is not your concern.

j&j
25th April 2013, 06:23 PM
Thank you Tony especially & Paul for taking the time to answering my
querys on the WL18 lathe. I can now look at purchasing it with a fair bit of
confidance. I had never thought of a midi lathe so I might have to have a look at that also.
Tony, you have helped immensely & I thank you again. I hope I can return the favor one day.

Cheer's Jim.:2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
25th April 2013, 08:06 PM
Thank you Tony especially & Paul for taking the time to answering my
querys on the WL18 lathe. I can now look at purchasing it with a fair bit of
confidance. I had never thought of a midi lathe so I might have to have a look at that also.
Tony, you have helped immensely & I thank you again. I hope I can return the favor one day.

Cheer's Jim.:2tsup::2tsup:

Glad to be able to Help Jim. Happy Turning.

chuck1
26th April 2013, 11:14 AM
I was just looking at lathes for sale and the hafco retails for about $450 new pick up it looks ok! I would be doing some research on new Vs old and what accessories will be with second hand lathes. both my lathes are second hand and came with chucks chisels etc! I am now thinking of building a long bed lathe to meet work commitments

j&j
27th April 2013, 08:33 PM
I was just looking at lathes for sale and the hafco retails for about $450 new pick up it looks ok! I would be doing some research on new Vs old and what accessories will be with second hand lathes. both my lathes are second hand and came with chucks chisels etc! I am now thinking of building a long bed lathe to meet work commitments

Chuck1 , I am in the Coffs Harbour area & there is not much about second hand, I have been as far south as port macquarie & that one would have been a good boat anchor. At least with a new lathe there is warranty & the amount of turning I will be doing the thing will last forever. I have to learn how to drive it yet.
I am undecided about the Hafco or maybe the Woodfast midi, which was suggested by another forum member. So many lathe's to chose, so much timber in my shed, & so little in the bank account.

I will work it out. Thank's for the thought's.
Regard's Jim.:2tsup:

RETIRED
27th April 2013, 09:14 PM
Jim. Have a chat with John Ewart at Woolgoolga.

j&j
27th April 2013, 09:48 PM
Jim. Have a chat with John Ewart at Woolgoolga.

, Thank's for the advice. I have spoken with John & he gave me very good advice as to what to look
for in purchasing a lathe. I will be going to him very soon for tuition.
One day I might even be a wood turner:2tsup:

Thank's again
Cheer's Jim.

orificiam
27th April 2013, 10:44 PM
, Thank's for the advice. I have spoken with John & he gave me very good advice as to what to look
for in purchasing a lathe. I will be going to him very soon for tuition.
One day I might even be a wood turner:2tsup:

Thank's again
Cheer's Jim.

Hello Jim, I'm Sure you'll be a Very good Turner, Best wishes with your new venture.