PDA

View Full Version : Requirements Creep

dr4g0nfly
25th April 2013, 05:09 AM
So the Love of my life has been attending the craft club in the village and the last few weeks it's been about making lace. You know the one, with all the little turned bobbins, yes... thought you might.

(btw anyone want a hand-made lace snake bookmark?)

So she asks me if I can make her a dozen bobbins. Bonus methinks, SWMBO approved turning time and earning brownie points. So of I toddle to the workshop and cut a dozen bit's of Beech.

Then it starts...

'Oh, ' she says, 'they are used in pairs, could you make them two of each and all different?' Deciphering this request I agree that I can.

Later it's,

'Ah!, I told [someone] I'd ask if you could made her a set as well?' - eh... 'Okay', so I go cut another dozen sticks, this time Black Walnut.

Peace at last, happily turning away, down to the last group of 4 when she appears at the workshop door...

'Eh, I think we need 7 pairs for the next session, could you..?'

Back to the bandsaw, cut another 2 of each timber and - well here they are.

100mm long, 7mm dia with the thread section down to 3mm (all sizes approximate!)

All jokes aside, C & C's welcomed.

Pat
25th April 2013, 05:53 AM
No you'll have a standing order for more.

Good turning at smaller sizes.

_fly_
25th April 2013, 05:54 AM
And she's the one thats going to sell them to all the girls at the next meeting and make a small fortune.

But at least you got turning time.

Old-Biker-UK
25th April 2013, 06:59 AM
Seems like déja-vu all over again... been there, done that & still got the lace pillows and bobbins (http://www.remark.me.uk/pages/hobbies/sewing/lace.html) though I don't do much lace these days....

Watch out mate - You'll end up making hundreds of them, still it might pay for a few more toys in the shop.

Mark

dr4g0nfly
25th April 2013, 07:24 AM
Hi Guy's,

If it puts a few extra pennies into the workshop fund I'm all for it. They don't take much time and uses small bit's you'd keep but couldn't really find much else to make with.

Mark,

It appears I'm making Midlands Lace Bobbins, your link is of Honniton Bobbins. As you made them, any chance of getting the dimensions of them, from you please? And what are those with the fat bottoms?

Old-Biker-UK
25th April 2013, 08:15 AM
Nice job on the bobbins, do you use your fingers as a steady for the neck ?, it works well for most woods except the ones that get hot! I've found a home-made narrow skew the best tool for the necks.

.........those with the fat bottoms?:B
The Honiton bobbins are around 4" give or take an 1/8", with a 5/8" long neck (thread for Honiton lace is VERY thin so you can get a lot on a small neck.
They are pointed (no spangles) as this type of lace involves 'sewing', passing the bobbin through a loop pulled up through the lace. The 'fat bottoms' are for a thicker thread which runs down the edge of the piece.
I've made a few hundred Bucks or Midlands bobbins, also Torchon and Bruges thumpers (now they really do have fat bottoms)
This one (Torchon thumper) was to hang up when I used to do craft stalls. Wouldn't want to make too many his size:no: - use too much wood.

Watch out -the next thing is you might be asked to make the traditional square cut glass beads for the bobbins

tea lady
25th April 2013, 10:10 AM
Put a band-aide on your finger steady BEFORE you wear it out. cloth ones work best. (DAMHIK:D )

chuck1
25th April 2013, 10:29 AM
oh the dreaded bobbins the first dozen are fun! eBay has caused a few issues! I still turn them from time to time, would rather turn newel posts but it's a good way to make use of small bits! great work!

dr4g0nfly
25th April 2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks folks,

Mark,

I tried one of my small homemade skews but it has a modification I put on some of mine which made it unsuitable. I found it best to use the ½" Sorby (seen in the photo) and swing it right around at either end so that it acted as a scraper to the diameter change and give me a clean edge.

Square Glass beads - methinks not!

Thanks for the dims for the Honniton bobbins and that is One Big Thumper! Are you sure it's not a belaying pin?

TL,

Soon after I joined the forum we had a thread about Gloves, I still use fingerless sailing gloves with Kevlar on the palm (and up the fingers). Though I will admit, the left hand one gets the most use and is looking very 'tired' so a new pair will be the order of the day sometime soon.

powderpost
25th April 2013, 05:23 PM
Nice work, I like making bobbins. Next step is to make them from bone, made quite a few of them too. And to go really traditional use fish bones instead of pins. Traditionally, the blunt ends were dipped into molten glass, but some mixed epoxy will do the same job.
Jim

smiife
25th April 2013, 08:14 PM
hi dr4gOnfly,
good job on the bobbins,lots of brownies points there mate!:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

KBs PensNmore
26th April 2013, 01:59 AM
If you want some real brownie points, try turning some the same, but about 15mm long as earrings. I made some for a friend of my partner, she was tickled pink with them, next thing I had an order for 20 pair!!!!!! :D
Kryn

The Bleeder
26th April 2013, 10:23 AM
That's a nice lot of brownie points. :2tsup:

chuck1
26th April 2013, 10:36 AM
with the amount of bobbins ive turned I bought and made some tools first one I made was a quarter by quarter skew and bought a 6mm P&N gouge very handy for small fine work.
I also use a drill chuck in the headstock to reduce pressure when turning the bobbin

Mobyturns
27th April 2013, 06:49 AM
with the amount of bobbins ive turned I bought and made some tools first one I made was a quarter by quarter skew and bought a 6mm P&N gouge very handy for small fine work.
I also use a drill chuck in the headstock to reduce pressure when turning the bobbin

ER16 or ER25 collett chucks are ideal for that.

Very nice bobbins.