PDA

View Full Version : My Ugly Thing

_fly_
29th April 2013, 02:18 PM
Tried to have a go at turning a square.
Didn't go well with the catches on all the corners.
Wound up cutting 2 corners off they were so bad.
Made some top for it and a spike.
Now looks like the helmet on Col Klinks desk.

I've tried to give it to a few people and they all say it ugly, so its called the ugly thing..

I think its ugly as well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 02:24 PM
:2tsup:

I'm betting you learned a few things along the way, as well.

I like square turning as it keeps me thinking. ("Don't stick my fingers there, don't stick my.... OWWW!" :rolleyes:)

_fly_
29th April 2013, 02:29 PM
:2tsup:

I'm betting you learned a few things along the way, as well.

I like square turning as it keeps me thinking. ("Don't stick my fingers there, don't stick my.... OWWW!" :rolleyes:)

Yep, I sure did Skew
Thats why I did it, needed the experience of learning what to do/not do.
Maybe shouldn't have started with real hard yellowbox I think it was.

Might try again with something a lot softer next time and maybe only 3 sides to catch on.
Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2013, 03:01 PM
If you want the corners to stay crisp - and the experience to be a whole lot safer - then it's worthwhile gluing sacrificial pieces to the sides of the square and then making that into a round blank for turning in the more usual way.

When all is finished, then you can cut away the sacrificial pieces and finish the edges.

Me... I like turning squares. :p

(Besides, it's easier to see that I'm cutting the wings to correct thickness... one day I really should buy a set of calipers instead of using "finger gauges." :-)

Hermit
29th April 2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Pete, I wouldn't quite call it ugly, just different.
A good learning exercise, by the sound of it.

Got any ideas on it's use?

Big A
29th April 2013, 07:26 PM
Makes me feel better. Looks like some nice tearout on the end grain of the top. I'm pretty good at that!

"A".