PDA

View Full Version : I am a Woodturning Addict in the Making

SHEETMETAL
29th April 2013, 10:51 PM
Hello Woodturners
I have a few questions,

Question 1: I was watching turning videos on you tube and the Guy doing the demo spoke of types of skews , How many different types of skew are there?

Question 2: what is the difference between a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge?

Question 3: Is three days an excessive amount of time to make one chisel handle

Gerard

RETIRED
29th April 2013, 11:00 PM
Hello Woodturners
I have a few questions,

Question 1: I was watching turning videos on you tube and the Guy doing the demo spoke of types of skews , How many different types of skew are there? It all depends on how they are sharpened but basically it is a piece of rectangular steel bar that has a sharp end ground at an angle (hence skew:D ) and a blunt end that you hold onto.

Question 2: what is the difference between a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge? The depth and shape of the flute.

Question 3: Is three days an excessive amount of time to make one chisel handle

GerardYes but if you are learning it doesn't matter how long it takes. I do mine in about 10 mins but I passed the beginner stage a long time ago but I am still a learner.:wink:

Wood Nut
30th April 2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Sheetmetal,

's advice is about as good as you will get. He is a professional/production turner :U

will be doing a demo at the Woodturners of the Hunter the first weekend in June (1st and 2nd). The first day will be a demo with the Sunday dedicated to beginning and/or inexperienced turners. May well be worth a trip up the F3 for you.

If you send me a pm I can give you more info, as we have not started advertising yet - still recovering from organising Rolly Munro last Satrurday.

My only other advice is to join a local woodturning club - I wish I'd done that when I started (it would have saved me lots of mistakes on lathe and tool purchases). The Sydney Woodturners Guild would be a good place to find your local club.

Cheers, and happy turning,
Paul

SHEETMETAL
2nd May 2013, 09:05 PM
Thank You and Wood Nut

I had always intended to join a club, in fact I intend to contact Southern Districts Woodturning at Como. Not sure if I got the name right but I do know that they are affiliated with Sydney Woodturning Guild.

Wood Nut I will PM you re the Hunter event.

thanks again
Gerard

Drillit
3rd May 2013, 09:47 AM
Hello sheetmetal,
I wont make any comments on your secific questions, because of the quality of the advice already given.
However, as to learning, I think that you should join a club where you can do practical work under some guidance
and help. I also strongly recommend that you undertake a course. I suggest you contact Trend Timbers (MULGRAVE) and do the learner's course with John Ewart,
a very experienced professional turner. I have no commercial interest. But many many years ago, I did all the courses with him (6 modules) and more
and that gave me a solid base to go ahead. Hope that helps. Drillit.

artme
3rd May 2013, 10:51 AM
G'day Sheetmetal!! Good to see you joining the shavings and sawdust sniffers union!:D

As for Skew Chisels it's much as says, but just a few pointers:

*Try to get skews with rounded rather than square edges. They are much easier to manage when rolling beads.

*There is an Oval Skew available. Avoid it!

*Some turners like to round the end of their chisels. I have found this to be a good thing, especially when starting out.