PDA

View Full Version : Small Burl Bowl

_fly_
30th April 2013, 07:40 PM
I thought I'd try something different seeing the square piece I turned was a disaster (Posted as "my ugly thing").
Found this burl in the shed and gave it a go, thnk its redgum.
Left the bark on as it seems on quite solid.

Its 10 cm across the bowl section and maybe 5 cm deep.
C&C welcome.

smiife
30th April 2013, 09:05 PM
hi fly, [hey that rhymes]
looks like a nice little bowl,love working with burls myself
how did you finish the bottom off !!!!!!
CHEERS SMIIFE:2tsup:

_fly_
30th April 2013, 09:50 PM
Think I'm getting a feel for the irregular shapes.
You know the next will fly apart after saying that don't you.

I turned the bottom flat first on a faceplate, just enough for it to not rock and put a small dovetail on it (25mm).
Then turned the top sloping edges second until I got the solid circle, yes from the back side (someone showed me this so I tried and it worked for me).
Then I turned it around and mounted it on the pins jaws for the bowl section.
I know leaving the tenon on is verboten, but I don't care and I put some small rings in there for looks anyway.

Who apart from a judge looks at the bottom of a bowl?265762

Peter

powderpost
30th April 2013, 10:37 PM
Who apart from a judge looks at the bottom of a bowl?

Peter

Probably every woodturner that picks it up. But that is of no matter, so long as you are satisfied, that is all that counts.
Jim

Sturdee
30th April 2013, 10:44 PM
Who apart from a judge looks at the bottom of a bowl?

Peter

Most woodturners who seem to have an obsession with bottoms :U and the general bottom dwellers.

Nice bowl Peter. I also liked the bowl part of your "ugly bowl" but the lid was IMO the disaster. Too big and phallic compared to the base, like most finial type lids are.

Peter.

artme
1st May 2013, 08:58 AM
Beautiful burl making for a great looking bowl!! Well turned!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Swino
1st May 2013, 09:14 AM
Doesn't look like Red Gum - more like Red Coolabah. Good Job!!

tea lady
1st May 2013, 09:55 AM
nice. :cool:

dr4g0nfly
1st May 2013, 06:26 PM
Most woodturners who seem to have an obsession with bottoms :U You get that as well do you?And if it's got a small hole, you can bet your daily sales it'll be a woman that sticks her finger in, to see how smooth you've made the inside, as well!No idea what the Burr is, but that's a stunning finish you've achieved.

smiife
1st May 2013, 08:54 PM
Think I'm getting a feel for the irregular shapes.
You know the next will fly apart after saying that don't you.

I turned the bottom flat first on a faceplate, just enough for it to not rock and put a small dovetail on it (25mm).
Then turned the top sloping edges second until I got the solid circle, yes from the back side (someone showed me this so I tried and it worked for me).
Then I turned it around and mounted it on the pins jaws for the bowl section.
I know leaving the tenon on is verboten, but I don't care and I put some small rings in there for looks anyway.

Who apart from a judge looks at the bottom of a bowl?265762

Peter

hi peter,
it doesn't really matter much how you finish the bottom as long as you are happy with it!!!!!
i was just asking about the underneath of the bowl really,looks good .
i quite often put rings on the tenon too ,i think it finishes it off nicely
well done great effort:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

_fly_
1st May 2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks Smiife,

I don't mind the tenon, shows that it was turned and not powercarved.
I think I might even mark this with my name.
I'm thinking that if I write my name inside the tenon around the edge then it isn't going to wear off by being used regardless of what surface it get put on.

Thanks everyone, need to go get some more burls somewhere.

Peter

Paul39
5th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Fly,

Nice bowl. I like the way you finished the side & bottom of your piece.

I leave the tendon on some of mine. I finish it smooth and sand the wall so there are no jaw marks and sign, number and put name of timber in it.

I sand the bottom by scooting the bowl on sandpaper stuck to a smooth board so the base is stable. This reduces the depth of the recess a bit.

If I am going to make a flat bottom I usually make a spigot that is grabbed with # 3 jaws. When the bowl is sanded and finished I turn it around and stick the rim in a groove cut in plywood on a faceplate and hold it there with a small tail center.

I turn off the spigot except for a nub under the center, sand, take the bowl off, cut off the nub with a chisel, sand a bit concave, scoot around on sandpaper to make a stable bottom, and finish.

_fly_
5th May 2013, 03:39 PM
Fly,
If I am going to make a flat bottom I usually make a spigot that is grabbed with # 3 jaws. When the bowl is sanded and finished I turn it around and stick the rim in a groove cut in plywood on a faceplate and hold it there with a small tail center.

I turn off the spigot except for a nub under the center, sand, take the bowl off, cut off the nub with a chisel, sand a bit concave, scoot around on sandpaper to make a stable bottom, and finish.

Thanks Paul,
I should give it a try now that I know what to do.
But I'm happy with the way my first natural edge burl bowl came out.
I did turn a burl a year ago but didn't like the way it came out. It was normal outside and inside but because it was quite holey its got 3/4 inch thick walls.
Looks more like papa bears porridge bowl.

But I'll need to go buy some more as I like the way these look.

Peter

torchwood
5th May 2013, 07:00 PM
Beautiful!

Paul39
6th May 2013, 02:46 AM
Fly,

I did turn a burl a year ago but didn't like the way it came out. It was normal outside and inside but because it was quite holey its got 3/4 inch thick walls.

As you become more skilled and confident you may revisit older thick pieces. I think everyone starts thick because of the fear of breaking the piece.

If you have left a way to grab the bowl, chuck it and gently refine the outside if needed, sand and finish. Let dry overnight or more, then do a couple of wraps of tape around the outside and take more out of the inside, sand and finish.

Or leave it alone to remind you of your early efforts.

torchwood
7th May 2013, 12:10 AM
Fly,

I think everyone starts thick because of the fear of breaking the piece.

Trust me when I say Paul, it ain't the piece I'm worried about breaking :C

Paul39
7th May 2013, 10:56 AM
Trust me when I say Paul, it ain't the piece I'm worried about breaking :C

So, you are talking about the broken florescent light, the cuts from the broken glass, and the bruise from where the bowl pieces hit the hand?

Couldn't find the picture.

torchwood
7th May 2013, 06:20 PM
So, you are talking about the broken florescent light, the cuts from the broken glass, and the bruise from where the bowl pieces hit the hand?

Couldn't find the picture.266789 I'm talking about finishing the polishing on a small piece at very high speed, then putting this big piece of red cedar on without the chuck screw and forgetting to turn the speed down, and turning the lathe on and watching it spin off almost 2 foot in the air. Luckily it went away from me, missing the flouro by about 1 foot!:B It did do a perfect dive though, I do have to say.:U

Colin62
7th May 2013, 07:03 PM
It did do a perfect dive though, I do have to say.:U

It did a perfect dive or you did a perfect dive? :U

_fly_
7th May 2013, 09:57 PM
scary scary.