PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck

macca2
4th May 2005, 12:32 PM
I have just had my new chuck delivered. It is the new insert version of the Nova Midi chuck.
For the price, I paid $129 (including insert) intro special it is a fantastic small chuck.
Has anyone else bought this and what do you think.

Macca

adrian
4th May 2005, 01:19 PM
If it's the same model Midi that Timbecon has at $159 it's a very good buy .
I was at Bernard Rodda's turning shop at Timbertown (Wauchope) yesterday and he and another guy were playing with one trying to work out how far the jaws open. They couldn't get the jaws to extend past the outside of the body. Is that the case?
If I read the technical specs correctly the jaws only have a 9mm range of movement.

macca2
4th May 2005, 02:55 PM
The one in the Timbecon webpages at $159 is not a Nova but a Torquata.
The new Nova midi that I have has a movement range of 25mm.
I have mine fitted with 25mm pin jaws. They go from 10mm to 35mm internal.
Macca

adrian
4th May 2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I should have said $153 for the Nova Midi Chuck - TEKMIDI-108 .
Regarding jaw movement the Teknatool site says "59mm Max diameter (using 50mm jaws - comes standard with chuck) Dovetail Range: 51-59mm." Which would tend to indicate a 9mm range.
So you can see why I'm confused about your 25mm range. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
:confused:
Visiting the Teknatool site answered my question about the jaw stop

RETIRED
4th May 2005, 08:13 PM
:D

Jim Carroll
4th May 2005, 09:26 PM
It all depends if you want a lot of grip or a little.
The midi chuck jaws extend past the body about 5mm but the supernova 2 only go out as far as the body sides.
The internals of both chucks limit the travel so you do not scroll the jaws all the way of. Some chucks have a small grub screw to do this but most people ususally force the jaws past that.

The jaws only really need to be opened about 5mm to get the best grip. By opening the jaws 5mm you have a good arc of contact on your spigot or in your recess. By opening the jaws further reduces the point of contact and there is more chance of the bowl going into orbit if you have a catch. If you require a larger spigot or recess use a larger set of jaws.

Remember the midi is designed for the small and mini lathes.

macca2
4th May 2005, 10:18 PM
Adrian......My 25mm travel came from actually measuring (with vernia) the chuck closed and fully open.

Jim...... I have mine on a Woodfast 280. Which I thinkwould be classed as a midi lathe.

Macca

Coldamus
5th May 2005, 01:53 PM
Just noticed that Hare & Forbes (Hafco) have the Nova Midi Chuck on their web site at $129 and the Super Nova at $220.Good, that means we can get them in the Eastern States as well.

regards
Coldamus

macca2
5th May 2005, 04:48 PM
Coldamus............just be aware that the nova Midi chuck comes in 3 dedicated thread sizes. You have to buy the new insert version of the Presion Midi Chuck if you have 30x3.5 as I did.

Macca

Coldamus
5th May 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks Macca, good point. Hare and Forbes web site only lists 1" x 10TPI for the Nova Midi Chuck. Fortunately that's what I want anyway. For the Super Nova they list two thread versions, 1" x 10TPI and 30 x 3.5mm both at $220.

regards
Coldamus

Jim Carroll
5th May 2005, 08:04 PM
The Midi chucks have 3 dedicated models and the insert version as stated. The insert version is capable of using any of the inserts available from the teknatool range. nova chuck inserts (http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/novsupsupdel.html) These are the same inserts that are used for the supernova and titan chucks.

rsser
7th May 2005, 05:29 PM
I can see Jim's point about optimal opening sizes but have always used the full opening range with my scroll chucks and have never had a piece come loose.

On the other hand, with spigots, that usually leaves marks that require cleaning up and all the associated messing about with Cole jaws or a vacuum chuck.

On the other other hand, what else would I be doing with my nights? Watching reality TV? erk ... reality is enough reality for me thanks ;-}