PDA

View Full Version : Non Searchers?????

dazzler
4th May 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi All,

Most of us have a high horse that we occassionally go for a ride on.

Mine is against those on Fora who respond to requests for information by advising the question asker that they should have searched for the answer first "because its been asked before" and sometimes even "a million times before!" which is amazing. It is often those that have been around a long time on the forum who take on this role.

This is not specific to Woodwork Forums but most other forums that I browse.

Now I am a small time searcher and will search when I would suspect there is a very small return sample.

EG: Supasaw (to search for jet supasaw)

If I wanted advice on what tablesaw to buy given my requirements I would post a question;

EG: Tablesaw advise $1500 to $3000..recommendations

So thats how I do it, right or wrong. So the poll is how should members respond to another member who posts a question that MAY have been answered previously.

cheers

dazzler

dazzler
4th May 2005, 06:25 PM
My god/krishna/buddha that was quick!

cheers

TassieKiwi
4th May 2005, 06:28 PM
You need another option..."Like most people, this doesn't worry me a toss. Good grief, go and make some shavings and get over it" :D

Gumby
4th May 2005, 06:28 PM
This poll has been done before, please do a search and you'll get all the answers. :rolleyes:

Lucas
4th May 2005, 06:38 PM
Dazzler

i see your point about searchs and i search first
what i have noticed are the people that say do a search, you know the ones on there high horse and the ones that normally hi jack a post
this is annoning as i am not an expert woodworker and i sometime have to read through pages on cr#p to find the point of the question

just an observation no offence meant to anyone

Christopha
4th May 2005, 06:48 PM
Don't like horses or cats.... why????? Search me........

Sturdee
4th May 2005, 07:24 PM
Generally speaking I think that before asking a question you should search the board. That's what I do and I expect others to do the same.

If after searching there remain questions, by all means ask and I'll try to help, but if it is obvious that the asker hasn't :( or can't be bothered :( to do his own research I'll ignore the post.

Peter.

Zed
4th May 2005, 07:34 PM
I get on the horsie when people try to dictate to me on how I should behave on this board. the only people who have a right to do this are Neil, , Shane and the other moderators. I dont get "modified or deleted" often, so I feel very safe in saying "get stuffed"

i got lots of greenie points - most of 'em for the "get stuffeds"

when Neil says "it will now cost money to be a member of this forum" I'll be first in line to send a check.

dont tell me how to behave please. we all take the easy road sometimes its only natural and human innit ?

ozwinner
4th May 2005, 07:42 PM
But, if everone did a search, who would we talk to??
Apart from my beloved wife of course, who is the love of my life.
I like talking to you lot, yeah I know hard to believe. :rolleyes:

Al :D

beejay1
4th May 2005, 07:44 PM
when Neil says "it will now cost money to be a member of this forum" I'll be first in line to send a check.
Steady on Zed,,dont go putting ideas in his head,, who knows where this could end? Rumour has it he's thinking about a swear box as well. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Gumby
4th May 2005, 07:44 PM
But, if everone did a search, who would we talk to??
I like talking to you lot, yeah I know hard to believe. :rolleyes:

Al :D

I think it's time this thread was hijacked..........

Barry_White
4th May 2005, 07:47 PM
If I know the answer I will usually give a reply and will post a link if I can find one. The only problem is I have done searches for things that I know that are there and you wrack your brain to think what word will bring up the answer you want and you don't always find an answer which is sometimes frustrating.

Sometimes I have resorted to going through a posters posts if I remember who made the post.

So it isn't always as simple as doing a search.

Zed
4th May 2005, 07:48 PM
Steady on Zed,,dont go putting ideas in his head,, who knows where this could end? Rumour has it he's thinking about a swear box as well. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

in that case I will be a buggered monkey! :D

ozwinner
4th May 2005, 07:49 PM
How long has this old dude they put in got to go before he hits the pearly gates. :rolleyes:

Al :)

Grunt
4th May 2005, 07:50 PM
in that case I will be a buggered monkey!

Why should today be any different?

ozwinner
4th May 2005, 07:51 PM
in that case I will be a buggered monkey! :D
In your dreams hairy....

Al :eek:

Barry_White
4th May 2005, 07:52 PM
I would consider it aptly hi-jacked by the official hi-jacker.

Grunt
4th May 2005, 07:56 PM
It's good to see that Zed knows how to take it like a man.

bitingmidge
4th May 2005, 08:18 PM
I'll be first in line to send a check.

Not questioning your spelling Zed, but let's confine Seppo language to O.T. (over there!) hey!!! I'll send him a cheque

Cheers,

P(Bloody Monkeys!)
:D

vsquizz
4th May 2005, 08:31 PM
When you first come to a forum you have no idea whats in the archives. If your not familiar with forums you may not even know that you can search!!!!!.

I see most newbies thanking people for advising them to do a search. What was the question again...

Bazza's on the right track.

It also doesnt hurt to re-ask a 12 month old topic especially as new machines and tools become available.

Cheers

Zed
4th May 2005, 08:33 PM
Hey Oz ya wanka, you voted for every option... tel us what you really think !!! :rolleyes:

craigb
4th May 2005, 08:45 PM
It's all been covered in the previous responses.

Most elequently by the buggered Monkey's first post. I agree with that one.
Where's the option for that one on the poll?

I can't see it so I gues I won't vote.

Of all the silly polls we've had, this one takes the biscuit.

graemet
4th May 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm going to ignore this poll as all of the options are valid depending on the query, and the way it's expressed. Some questions don't deserve the dignifying an answer would confer, others obviously need some help.
Cheers,
Graeme (conscientious objector)

silentC
5th May 2005, 10:03 AM
Let's look at it from another angle. What about the people who get all hot and bothered when someone tells them to do a search. What about them, huh?? Let's have a poll on that...

I reckon the best piece of advice you can give a newcomer is 'do a search'. Then, once they've read everything there is to read, they are well placed to ask sensible questions. If they have to read through a heap of silly posts, too bad. We all had to read them, so why should they be let off?

I don't think anyone particularly gets on their high horse about it. Maybe it's taken the wrong way by the original poster. Move on.

JackoH
5th May 2005, 10:21 AM
Yeah Silent. I have copped more abuse on this board for telling people to do a search first :mad: ....Oh! Then there was dust control, pen turning, skew chisels, bad spelling, bad grammar. supporting Christopha, etc. etc. :cool:
As you say. Get a life, move on! Bah! Humbug :p

bitingmidge
5th May 2005, 10:49 AM
If they have to read through a heap of silly posts, too bad. We all had to read them, so why should they be let off?.

We all had to read them??
READ them???

We all had to WRITE them!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

P

silentC
5th May 2005, 11:15 AM
Speak for yourself, Midge, I never write anything silly.

Strictly speaking, I type.

dazzler
8th May 2005, 08:04 PM
Hi

Thanks to all those with serious comment.
To the others your ability to type one handed is remarkable.

cheers

dazzler

ozwinner
8th May 2005, 08:10 PM
Hi

cheers

dazzler
:confused: :confused: Dont tell me you type two handed?? :eek: :eek:

Al :confused:

Zed
8th May 2005, 08:17 PM
Hi

cheers

dazzler

being tasmanian your other hand is probably involved with another member of your own family then ???

boban
8th May 2005, 08:35 PM
being tasmanian your other hand is probably involved with another member of your own family then ???
:D:D:eek:

Grunt
8th May 2005, 09:03 PM

Well the spare head has it's mouth full.

craigb
8th May 2005, 09:17 PM

Well the spare head has it's mouth full.

You'll both just have to make do with a virtual greenie. :D

Zed
8th May 2005, 10:04 PM
Dazzler,

Hereth I am sitted liketh swine in shyte, verily feeling vindicated and pompously self important .... why ? I hear you ask my little taswegian banjo player ? I have checked on me recent points and it seems that out of the 5 (yep count 'em) rep points i've got for this little thread 4 are green and one is red (thanks Oz :rolleyes: ) .... Everyone knows our little junk ferret is actually an imp so I am quite happy to receiveth his reddie.

I think we can all conclude that sweariness is ok as is the general loosehandedness around here... (your familiar with that eh ???)

so again I bid thee : get stuffed!! :D

pancakes,
dust extractor,
cyclone,
hand plane,
speling mitakes,
gmc

(just offering hijack ops)

echnidna
8th May 2005, 10:13 PM
So can we suck pancakes through a GMC dust extractor that's fitted with a cyclone, or do we have to prune said pancakes to a certain size with a handplane witout makin spelllin miztakes. :D :D :D :D

craigb
8th May 2005, 10:47 PM
pancakes,
dust extractor,
cyclone,
hand plane,
speling mitakes,
gmc

Since when did one have to OFFER hijack options around here. Hmm :confused:

E. maculata
8th May 2005, 11:01 PM
pancakes,
dust extractor,
cyclone,
hand plane,
speling mitakes,
gmc

OW OW OW I know this game.........I pick the first subject.........
CYCLONES
and my first answer is "Tracy" :p

boban
8th May 2005, 11:38 PM
OW OW OW I know this game.........I pick the first subject.........
CYCLONES
and my first answer is "Tracy" :p
But given that there are bound to be condiments involved with that type of typing wouldn't pancakes have been more appropriate choice:eek:

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2005, 09:59 AM
pancakes,
dust extractor,
cyclone,
hand plane,
speling mitakes,
gmc

Good one Zed, you have just hijacked the next search that anyone does (if anyone does them any more) on any of those subjects, I guess I had better add a couple more...

foil
foilie
foilies

barnsey
9th May 2005, 11:55 AM
I thought I'd take all your advice and do a search on pancakes

The puter locked up on me

They are only to be had with authentic maple syrup IMHO