PDA

View Full Version : Planer / Thicknesers

Nuggett
11th August 2002, 11:52 PM
Anyone sugest what to buy the small portable type or the Big Buggers? Like the jet planer/molder or my local dealer has 15" model & claims it comes from same factory as jet? these stat at about $1300- $1595!
I've seen in a Glefords tool Cat a Ryobi???
Portable for $499!!
Thanks in advance

Kev Y.
12th August 2002, 08:43 PM
Nugget, I just bought (well 4 months ago anyway) a planer\thicknesser, purchased a 12.5 inch portable model. came in about $700 give or take.

If your looking for one I suggest you look around and dont just but he first one you find.

Kev.

philige
15th August 2002, 08:58 PM
I have had my portable delta thickneser for eight months now and used it plenty.Another one of those tools you wondered what you did without. Picked up an old belt driven jointer out of last weekend paper well made, full cast with 22" bed.Some new berings and the corect belt and sharpend blades a good score at $130 bucks.

Iain
15th August 2002, 09:13 PM
Had a look at a Ryobi, it only has two supports which I believe can create snipe problems. The good ones have four supports, one in each corner.
Have a look at http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm for planer tips.
I pulled mine apart and was suprised how easy it was to get into, even setting the blades was easy with the jig provided (had to slightly off set them after I dinged a knot and put a nick in the blades which put a little raised track in the wood).
Really is a great machine to own and I have used mine more than I anticipated.
Made a 9mm panel lastnight out of some 19mm scrap stock and it took very little time to do plus I got a big bag of shavings to catch the horse poo in the float.
Mine is a 12 1/2" 4 post 2.5hp and I only go for a 1mm removal at a time, I have heard it said, by the wise ones, that you should never try for 3mm even though the brochure says you can. 1mm screams, I hate to think what 3mm would do.

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

Kev Y.
15th August 2002, 10:38 PM
Iain, 3mm does not make any noise at all, trips the circuit breaker protection on the motor

Kev