PDA

View Full Version : Possible blurb for Mapleman's Crows Ash ....

Touchwood
14th May 2013, 12:40 AM
Hi one and all

I have been playing around with a possible blurb to go with these special pens - feel free to comment or use.

I have played with the font on the second one as I wondered if the first was a little hard to read.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/webkit-fake-url://E54A9D1F-5F81-4284-BF17-F53AC520BF6E/image.tiff

http://www.woodworkforums.com/webkit-fake-url://3D5B274E-4339-4EC2-A2E5-AB07E7822B6D/image.tiff

JD

Simomatra
14th May 2013, 03:09 AM
Thank you Jenny I do like the second one, if we are all happy with that one I will print up some cards to go with the pens.

Touchwood
14th May 2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Sam
as I was restricted to using a jpeg the quality may be dodgy as it started as a publisher, converted to pdf (as many don't have publisher) only to find the forum would only accept photo formats! If you like, I can email the original to you as .pub OR .pdf or something - between home and work I have a large variety of programs and platforms (Mac and IBM)

JD

Simomatra
14th May 2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Sam
as I was restricted to using a jpeg the quality may be dodgy as it started as a publisher, converted to pdf (as many don't have publisher) only to find the forum would only accept photo formats! If you like, I can email the original to you as .pub OR .pdf or something - between home and work I have a large variety of programs and platforms (Mac and IBM)

JD
Thanks Jenny PM sent

Grommett
14th May 2013, 06:14 PM
Yep, my vote is for the second one.

dai sensei
14th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Do you want to add why the tree was removed, rather than just salvaged? Or is there no story to it?

Touchwood
14th May 2013, 11:17 PM
Oh, the tree died is my understanding. Mapleman is the man who salvaged the timber. Yes, that is probably worthy so no one thinks it was cut down to build a car park or something!!! :o:o

JD

plantagenon
15th May 2013, 07:29 PM
As a matter of interest, your internet search is correct. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in the regiment mentioned. He was also Mentioned in Despatches which means he was awarded with the oak leaf and can use MID after his name, I believe. The War Memorial will have his full war service record if you can fathom through it. It is a bit like hitting your head on a brick wall trying to find a service record but you can get there :U

Hope this helps

PenTurner
15th May 2013, 11:06 PM
Great thinking Jenny, there is tinge of sadness and much admiration in that thought. Amos:)

Touchwood
15th May 2013, 11:29 PM
As a matter of interest, your internet search is correct. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in the regiment mentioned. He was also Mentioned in Despatches which means he was awarded with the oak leaf and can use MID after his name, I believe. The War Memorial will have his full war service record if you can fathom through it. It is a bit like hitting your head on a brick wall trying to find a service record but you can get there :U

Each time I hunted I found the same type of record/result, which was also what Mapleman found, but only going by a name and initial and nothing else, particularly with such a common name, it is hard to guarantee that it is the absolutely right person and I certainly don't want to offend anyone by getting it wrong - hence the comment internet search suggests ..... (isn't it a sad time that we have to cover our butt incase we get it wrong!!!). Much of the hunting required more skill at understanding techno babble than I seem to have!! and boy, do we get some techno babble in the Education Dept so I thought I'd have that sussed !!!!:~

thanks for the comments, will include something about the tree dying of natural causes though

cheers
JD

MAPLEMAN
18th May 2013, 02:56 PM
Oh, the tree died is my understanding. Mapleman is the man who salvaged the timber. Yes, that is probably worthy so no one thinks it was cut down to build a car park or something!!! :o:o

JDThe tree had certainly died..i think lightning was the culprit,as there were burn marks around the top of the tree :2tsup:

Simomatra
18th May 2013, 04:16 PM
I have asked the Woodford RSL if they can give us some information on the history of the tree, there was, not sure if still standing, a Crows Ash tree in the memory of Charles Henry Seccombe. planted and dedicated on the 25th April 1920. I do have a picture if it is the one. CH Smith is definitely on the Honour Board as well

MAPLEMAN
19th May 2013, 09:22 AM
A new tree was planted in place of the one that died..incidently,there are a number of large Crow's Ash lining the streets around the town centre,i am sure some of those are commemorative plantings too..the tree that i salvaged was destined to be dumped,so am very happy to see Jenny and others make such beautifull pens for a really brilliant cause..this tree does have a very rich story,nearly a century of living as a steet planting,and commemorating a brave digger!! The local R.S.L was given a few slabs,but would like to get a plaque or something special made for the national R.S.L as well..keep up the good work Jenny:2tsup:

MAPLEMAN
19th May 2013, 12:35 PM
I have asked the Woodford RSL if they can give us some information on the history of the tree, there was, not sure if still standing, a Crows Ash tree in the memory of Charles Henry Seccombe. planted and dedicated on the 25th April 1920. I do have a picture if it is the one. CH Smith is definitely on the Honour Board as wellC H Smith's tree was also planted on 25th April 1920..there must have been a number of them planted on that day in and around Woodford..MM :2tsup:

Simomatra
24th May 2013, 10:47 AM
This is what i have received back from the RSL

Bruce,
A total of 21 trees were planted in the main street of Woodford (Archer Street) and dedicated on the 25th April 1920. The plaques read as follows:

THIS TREE WAS PLANTED IN MEMORY OF C. H. SMITH AND WAS DEDICATED ON THE 25 April 1920. HONOURING THOSE WHO SERVED AND FELL FOR OUR COUNTRY IN THE 1914-1918 GREAT WAR. “LEST WE FORGET”

Most of the original trees were Crows Ash. I believe they came from the Brisbane Botanical Gardens nursery.

The plaques bore the names of men who lived and had enlisted from the Woodford area at that time. Unfortunately little is known of some of those names as it is believed their families may have moved from the district during or soon after the war. Some being casual farm labourers etc.

C.H.Smith is one such person. Without knowing Christian names or Regimental number, it is virtually impossible to provide any service history.

Regards

Sawdust Maker
24th May 2013, 10:53 AM
Jenny

good idea :2tsup: