PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

SquidLYF
15th May 2013, 10:48 PM
Hey guys i'm new around here and i thought what better to start with than my first bowl and a little info.
My names Max, i'm 17 and very new to turning but i love it to bits. Im in my final year of schooling so i don't get too much time to practice sadly.:(
This is my first ever bowl and has plenty of catch marks, ridges and imperfections not to mention varying thickness's! but i'm new to this and only human :U.

Its turned from a piece of Eucalyptus Sieberi that was kicking around the burning pile!
Leave as many comments as you want, i hoping to get to know some of the users around here better! Cheers, Max.

hughie
16th May 2013, 12:55 AM
Well Max I wouldnt be concerned about how bad or how many faults it may have. The trick is have a good look at it,and try and figure out where you went wrong and try again. Practice in this case makes perfect, remember everybody has to start some where even the world best. :U

But for a first bowl it looks pretty good :2tsup: to me.

Paul39
16th May 2013, 03:31 AM
Hi Max,

Nice shape on the bowl. Date it and keep it. Keep turning whenever you can. The burn pile is a wonderful source, each piece is a surprise.

dr4g0nfly
16th May 2013, 06:01 AM
Max,

you've just made your 'Life Bowl'. Somewhere to put your keys and other pocket contents.

A couple of years from now, you'll look at what your capable of and wonder if you should replace this, but your heart will overrule your thought's and it will stay just where you need it.

Welcome to the community of woodturners, we come from all over the world and share the passion you have discovered Ask as you need, we'll answer. Join a club as soon as you can (finish your exams first) and you'll come on in leaps and bounds.

Good to have you aboard.

Rod Gilbert
16th May 2013, 08:23 AM
Welcome Max,
Agree totally with dr4g0nfly's comment's you have just begun you're journey into wood turning join a club when you can as hand's on instruction is the best method of learning listen to and watch all who will help try all method's presented to you and see which work's best for you.
We are all still learning this craft even a raw beginner can offer input that will benefit an experienced turner at times as sometimes their lack of experience can present a method not even considered by other's because they don't know the accepted method of doing something and go about it in a way no one even considered so as I said we should all listen and be prepared to try something new and see if it work's for us. You will find you are soon addicted to turning. Great to have you on board enjoy the journey.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

Drillit
16th May 2013, 08:58 AM
Hello Max,
You have started - you made the first leap. What you need to do now, is practise.
However, so that you are not creating a danger for yourself, you need to get some
qualified experience and teaching. Perhaps that is a little difficult with your immediate
school commitments, but at some stage that is what your should do. There are a number
of outlets around Sydney, including Trend Timbers at Mulgrave, who have an excellent
teacher in John Ewart. There are also men's sheds and woodturning clubs.
As a first bowl I think you have done a good job and as Hughie says, learn from your mistakes.
Hope this helps, Drillit.

Bruce White
16th May 2013, 11:00 AM
Great start Max! As Hughie and Drillit said - practice and listening to others will have you going forward in leaps and bounds. Great fun isn't it?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2013, 11:38 AM
It may not be the prettiest piece you ever turn, but I'm betting that nothing else you make will be any more effective for nomming your morning's brekky from. :wink::D

Way to go, damned good first piece! :2tsup:

SquidLYF
16th May 2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for kind words everyone!
Im planning on joining the Blue Mountians(My location) woodturners club and attending their meeting each month, but other commitments keep getting in the way, as is always the case!! Aside from this i've found the vast amount of information on the internet (mainly youtube) incredibly helpful in getting started and i cant wait to start making some proper shaving again!! Thanks again, Max.

tdrumnut
16th May 2013, 07:33 PM
Giday Max welcome aboard and enjoy the journey