PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Gum Burl Platter

Willy Nelson
19th May 2013, 09:32 AM
Good Morning All
Been very quiet on this forum lately, so I thought I would post some pictures of a recently turned Salmon Gum Burl Platter. It is 37cm (0r 370mm (Imp 14.566 inches) or 0.37 meters or 0.0000037 KLMs). I did receive some negative feedback from a dress maker on here awhile ago, hence the multiple use of dimensions and measurements to please everybody. :U

Is it working? :;

Anyhoo, it is also 7cm high (use the ratios of previously furnished measurements) and finished with 10 (or DECA) coats of Dansih Oil over one week, or 7 days, or 1/2 a fortnight, or 1/52 of a year.
Salmon Gum is HARD!!!!!!! I reckon I ground away half a bowl gauge turning this. I spent as much time at the grinder as I did the lathe, a heap of sanding as well as I had a lot of grain tearout.

Just noticed the fourth photo (of the underside) makes the platter appear more rounded, or bowl shaped, which it is not.
Comments Welcome

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Bruce White
19th May 2013, 10:54 AM
Good stuff as usual Willy. You are right about it being hard - I part turned a Salmon Gum root burl a couple of days ago and even wet it was hard. Combine that with dirt and pebbles and the poor old tools took a beating. Looking forward to finishing it - pretty wood.

smiife
19th May 2013, 08:00 PM
Good Morning All
Been very quiet on this forum lately, so I thought I would post some pictures of a recently turned Salmon Gum Burl Platter. It is 37cm (0r 370mm (Imp 14.566 inches) or 0.37 meters or 0.0000037 KLMs). I did receive some negative feedback from a dress maker on here awhile ago, hence the multiple use of dimensions and measurements to please everybody. :U

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

oh yes willy there is no doubt about it , you certainly have a great sense
of humor:U:U,
and what a great job you have done on the platter,as always
i always admire the burls that you guys get in the wild west
fantastic finish too!!!!!!!!:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

mkypenturner
19th May 2013, 08:24 PM
hey willy i know of a easier way for you to turn the salmon gum burl -----> send it to me :D

Sawdust Maker
19th May 2013, 08:31 PM
Nice work

sorry didn't get the measurements in my mind - how big in furlongs?

Willy Nelson
19th May 2013, 09:08 PM
hey willy i know of a easier way for you to turn the salmon gum burl -----> send it to me :D

Sure, you do know how heavy and dense Salmon Gum is???

And thanks for your comments
Willy

mkypenturner
19th May 2013, 10:29 PM
have you got any tools with a carbide cutter to try instead of plain chisels ? maybe make it easier

Bob Wemm
19th May 2013, 11:09 PM
Great result Willy, I love those burls.

I tried to core one and it just about shook my lathe to pieces.

Thanks for showing.

Bob.

HazzaB
19th May 2013, 11:37 PM
Hey Willy,

Looking good mate, I don't get salmon gum bits that big, but even Pen Blanks can knock the tools about. :oo:

I'm closer than Troy :D

HazzaB

Willy Nelson
20th May 2013, 12:09 AM
have you got any tools with a carbide cutter to try instead of plain chisels ? maybe make it easier

Hello
No, I have not tried them for turning, good idea though. I may have to invest in some new chisels soon, I am turning toooooo much (heaven forbid) and toooooo fast
Might tryto borrow one and give it a whirl, although my stocks of Salmon are limited
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
20th May 2013, 12:11 AM
Hey Willy,

Looking good mate, I don't get salmon gum bits that big, but even Pen Blanks can knock the tools about. :oo:

I'm closer than Troy :D

HazzaB

Ha Ha
Yes you are. But I will be moving in the next couple of years to a workshop of allegedly 160 sqm, vastly bigger than what I have now. Should do a thread on the build
Willy

rod1949
4th July 2013, 04:29 PM
Looks great Willy.

So where do you get Salmon gum burls from?

TTIT
4th July 2013, 10:27 PM
Nice one Willy :2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
5th July 2013, 01:02 AM
Looks great Willy.

So where do you get Salmon gum burls from?

Trees.

Oh Okay, sometimes I find them on private property, sometimes I buy them, sometimes I get given them
Cheers
Willy

bassmansimon
5th July 2013, 02:54 PM
A stunning piece! :2tsup: