PDA

View Full Version : cabinet scraper

cesky
29th August 2002, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know a good source for a cabinet scraper. Looks like a spokeshave except the action is to scrape rather than plane. Stanley used to make them ... a number 8 (refers to the 8cm blade, I guess)

Mick4412
29th August 2002, 07:14 PM
Nothing worse than an "Instant expert", but I knew nothing about the full history of Stanley Planes, until I read what is in the address below, from John Saxton's post of 31/5/2002 http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

and/or
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/
In the Homepage, click on "woodworking" then goto "The Scraper Tutorial"

The #8 is ceratainly not a Scraper, altho' some Stanley scrapers are numbered in the 80's.

Have a look at these sites. It's good reading
Mick

[This message has been edited by Mick4412 (edited 29 August 2002).]

DonN
29th August 2002, 07:32 PM
cesky
Stanley make a No 80, 81 and 82 in a spokeshave type scraper. They also make a 112 plane type scraper, all are now hard to get. About the only place you will get these now is at markets (from people who don't know the value or in the hands of a collector.

derekcohen
29th August 2002, 08:43 PM
The Stanley scraper #80 is still available, as is the Kunz #80 (same as Stanley). Try Carba-Tec for the Kunz. Blades are freely available but I make my own by cutting up old saw blades.

Kunz also make a #112 scraper plane copy of the Stanley (which is out of production and big bucks now. I paid about $200 for one a few years ago). You can get a LN #112 for about $750 (stunning looking).

Card scrapers are numerous. Veritas make them, among others. Actually, Veritas make an insert for a Stanley #4 smoothing plane that converts it into a scraping plane. Also available at Carba-Tec. The other relevant Veritas products (they are good!) are the card Scraper Holder and the Variable Blade Burnisher.

Regards

Derek (in Perth)

cesky
30th August 2002, 12:40 PM
Many thanks, Derek, for the useful information. I see there are plenty of sites in the US selling the Stanley #80, but I will try Carba-Tec
Cheers,
David

Originally posted by derekcohen:
The Stanley scraper #80 is still available, as is the Kunz #80 (same as Stanley). Try Carba-Tec for the Kunz. Blades are freely available but I make my own by cutting up old saw blades.

Kunz also make a #112 scraper plane copy of the Stanley (which is out of production and big bucks now. I paid about $200 for one a few years ago). You can get a LN #112 for about $750 (stunning looking).

Card scrapers are numerous. Veritas make them, among others. Actually, Veritas make an insert for a Stanley #4 smoothing plane that converts it into a scraping plane. Also available at Carba-Tec. The other relevant Veritas products (they are good!) are the card Scraper Holder and the Variable Blade Burnisher.

Regards

Derek (in Perth)

cesky
30th August 2002, 12:50 PM
Hi Mik,
TWo great sites for backgound and instruction. MAny thanks,
David

BrianR
30th August 2002, 05:20 PM
I bought a new Stanley #80 recently, but couldn't get one in Oz so got it from UK for about 21GBP. They are available.

Dan
30th August 2002, 10:30 PM
HNT Gordon planes convert to a scraper by simply flipping the blade. Australian made and the quality is superb. Although due to the design the scraping function is only required on very curly grain.