PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change countersink bit

John G
1st September 2002, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know of anyone who makes or sells quick-change countersink bits?

I know I can buy the all-in-one drill bit and counterbore, but I just want the countersink part. No one I have visited sells them - they are all smooth shaft bits.

I was doing some cabinetry today and I am SICK of drill hole, change bit, drill countersink, change bit, drive screw, change bit, drill next hole.... aaarrrghgh!!!

DarrylF
1st September 2002, 12:15 AM
I have a couple of them - unfortunately I can't remember the brand http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif It was either P&N or Snappy I think. Fairly sure I got it at Bunnings.

Why not use a drill/countersink combo?

John G
1st September 2002, 12:22 AM
I didn't want a drillbit/countersink combo because I would probably want 4 or 5 sizes, at $20 a pop, would be about $100.
Whereas I am guessing a single countersink might be $10-$20, and then that's all I need (since I obviously have separate drill bits).

zathras
1st September 2002, 12:52 AM
Braze one into an elcheapo magnetic holder ?

Ray

DarrylF
1st September 2002, 01:05 AM
Cool - had the same problem, wound up buying a set of 5 or so - I think for around $60. Remember with the combo bits you can countersink deep enough for a wood plug - and you can get sets with plug cutters included. Don't buy the really cheap sets though - made that mistake http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif P&N are pretty good, and reasonably priced.

I'm pretty sure the snap fit countersink I've got is a P&N - I use it mostly for countersinking larger bolts etc now.

Oh yeah - beware with the snap fittings - there are several different types, and they are not all interchangable. The recess in the shaft is a different width and further up the shaft on one type.

BrianR
1st September 2002, 11:06 AM
You can get them at Sachys Robertson Screws, www.sachys-robertson.com.au. (http://www.sachys-robertson.com.au.) http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

mikmaz1
6th September 2002, 11:58 PM
gday john and everyone else .
i know these arent quick change but have you thought about using metal work c/sinks , they do give a much better finish.
seeyasoon mik.

Woodgrub
2nd October 2006, 01:36 PM
I use 3 seperate drills for doing countersink screw holes.
1. Drill
2. Countersink
3. Screwdriver Bit

Tex B
2nd October 2006, 01:42 PM
Brian had your answer. Sachys-Robertson. I have a couple from there (#8 and #10) and they are much better quality than I've found at Buns or other hardware places. Replaceable bits, easy to adjust, do it all in one pass. Most of what I do is #8 screws, with some #10 on heavy stuff, and most of the #6 stuff I don't countersink, so the two I have are all I need.

While you're there, get a few boxes of their square drive screws and drivers. Much better than the phillips head stuff, I've never stripped a head on a square drive screw.

Tex

derekcohen
2nd October 2006, 05:07 PM
I recently bought a P&N set which included a countersink (one size only). Although not particularly cost-effective (I have a lot of drill bits that I otherwise use), this is a useful accessory.

About a year ago I was looking for a set of countersinks and ended up buying a cheap Chinese set of three different sizes. These have withstood a fair amount of drilling in Jarrah, etc. They are the type that are held inside a hexagonal magnetic holder, which was how I was using them until I got the P&N set. The P&N holder, like a number of others on the market, holds the shaft with a built-in spring that locks into a groove on the shaft. It is not magnetic and so non-grooved shafts just fall out when you attempt to drill.

The other day it occurred to me that I could grind this locking groove onto the shafts of the Chinese set. So I did, and now these will work inside the P&N holder. So this now is a cheap option if you are looking for different size countersinks to fit a P&N (or other holder types).

My main complaint about countersinks is that the only hexagonal shafted ones I can find are the multi-cutter type. The cone-shaped single cutter type - which is the only type to cut a smooth-walled countersink - are only available in round shafts (and cannot fit a P&N holder). Any contacts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

inferno6688
2nd October 2006, 05:59 PM
I use 3 seperate drills for doing countersink screw holes.
1. Drill
2. Countersink
3. Screwdriver Bit

thats what i do!!:cool:

especially considering how cheap drills are these days!

NewLou
2nd October 2006, 08:31 PM
I use Sachey Robertsons too.

One of the best buys i'VE EVER MADE .....quality ..........reasonable price. Be careful with your countersink setups though. I've snapped just about all my small drill bits n countersinks through sheer carelessness, negligance and just trying to push things tooooooooooo far!!!

The next set will be cared for like jemstones n caressed into action rather than crash bashin n breakin with an attitude that there will always be casualities.

Regards Lou;)

John G
2nd October 2006, 10:07 PM
Hey, what inspires someone to respond to a 4-year-old thread?

Anyway, thanks to these responses I bought the Sachys-Robertson countersink about 4 years ago and it's been great ever since.

While you are there, get the quick-change socket, because having a quality one makes a big difference! (I used a cheap one for years, and bits kept popping out, but I persisted because I thought they were all the same and that was just how they were. But then I got the S-R one and never had another problem).

Tex B
2nd October 2006, 11:20 PM
Hey, what inspires someone to respond to a 4-year-old thread?

I never even noticed the original date. Just assume a new post is a recent thing.

Well, glad you got some good stuff, and are still reading the posts.

Tex

Schtoo
3rd October 2006, 01:10 AM
Derek, don't believe that single cutter coutersinks are the only bits able to make a smooth countersink.

The multiple cutter types suffer from chatter, and the end result is a countersink with one more 'side' than the countersink has cutters. Ie: 6 sided hole with a 5 cutter bit.

If you reduce/increase the speed of the bit, that might help. More pressure onto the bit may also help, and better support will also help avoid chatter. I rarely get chatter anymore, since I almost always use the drill press and set it up so countersinking is a 'hang off the handle' operation, so there's is lots of pressure on the bit. If not the drill press, then a cheapo drill that spins slowly.

If you want to use a multi tipped cutter, and for whatever reason can't add support/pressure/speed to the bit, there is a way to make the cutter cut a true and chatterfree countersink.

Take one or two tips and grind the edge off them.

Takes away the symmetry of the bit, so when it starts to chatter, the next cutter doesn't cut, and so doesn't exacerbate the chatter, basically killing it dead instantly.

A bit drastic for a new bit, but if you want a bit that will not chatter, that will do it.

Explains why an ancient, busted, worn out heap of junk countersink is the one I reach for to use in the battery drill. ;)

Iain
3rd October 2006, 08:59 AM
Carbatec have a set (drill, pilot/countersink, I think there are five differnt sizes) for about $39, and all are adjustable if that is of any help.

TassieKiwi
3rd October 2006, 01:45 PM
Damn the expense. Get the Festool pair - burr free, no chatter and a snip at $150!

yeah right.

John G
3rd October 2006, 11:28 PM
Derek,
The Sachys-Robinson countersink is a single blade/flute countersink. It doesn't chatter at all. (yes, I found before I got the S-R that the multi-blade ones do chatter, and you end up with a hexagonal countersink holes!)

It has a quick change hex shank. GET IT!
(I don't work for them)

gyropilot
30th October 2012, 05:47 PM
Old thread ? Oldie but a goodie...

I bought some hex rod from metaland to make some of my own. After a few, it was easy to heat the previous ones up with a gas stove or flame, pull out the bit (whatever you wanted in there - drill/countersink/grinder) and 2 pack in the new one. 100% re usable...
The rod was pretty cheap as well.... 30 seconds on the lathe and you have a new quick release blank....

Geoff

Vann
30th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Hey, what inspires someone to respond to a 4-year-old thread?Hey, what inspires someone to reply to a 6-year... Oh never mind :q

Well it's 10 years old now :U.

Cheers, Vann.

Colin62
31st October 2012, 07:57 AM
Well it's 10 years old now :U.

Cheers, Vann.

Next thing you know, it'll be asking for the car keys on a Saturday night...

ian
31st October 2012, 09:22 PM
Next thing you know, it'll be asking for the car keys on a Saturday night...and you'll have to refill the tank on Sunday morning :U