PDA

View Full Version : The Fencepost, the bowl and the Yorky

Willy Nelson
27th May 2013, 07:36 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen
Woke up and couldn't get back to sleep (must have been tooooo excited about going to work after the weekend :roll: )

Anyhoo

Please find enclosed a picture of a Jarrahfence, a Sheoak bowl and a York Gum Burl. All finished with many coats of Danish oil.

WHS NOTE- The fencepost was turned and finished, then the wire inserted for authenticity purposes. :o

Thanks
Sincerely
Willy

Rod Gilbert
27th May 2013, 07:42 AM
I couldn't find enclosed.
Regards Rod.

DJ’s Timber
27th May 2013, 08:42 AM
I couldn't find enclosed.
Regards Rod.

Willy must still be half asleep :sleep6: :doh:

Willy Nelson
28th May 2013, 09:42 PM
What, you want photos as well??????????

Isn't it good enough that I just tell you what I did?????

Crikeys, okay then, some piccys

Sorry, I obviously had difficulty loading them for some reason, must be my sausage fingers

Sincerely

Willy
jarrahland

Sawdust Maker
28th May 2013, 09:49 PM
Nice work - really like the platter and that piece of burl is really special :2tsup:

to be really authentic the wire should be rusty :p

corbs
28th May 2013, 10:29 PM
Nice work Willy :2tsup:

There's something about pieces done like the fence post which I love. I think it's because non woodies would see the original grey and silvered piece of wood and not even give it a second thought then the turning reveals the grain, colour and figure inside. I need to make some farmer friends who are replacing some fences :rolleyes:

SquidLYF
28th May 2013, 10:56 PM
Beautiful, all three!! That said theres something i don't like about the wire, in my eyes its makes a beautiful piece into a glorified scarecrow:p Keep it up! Max.

Christos
29th May 2013, 05:02 PM
very interesting piece for the fence posts. Are.you going to make a few more?

chuck1
29th May 2013, 07:19 PM
love the fence post! the 3rd last one I made I put in an art show and put $200 because I wanted to keep it! and sold opening night :(

Christos
29th May 2013, 07:25 PM
love the fence post! the 3rd last one I made I put in an art show and put $200 because I wanted to keep it! and sold opening night :(

Serve you right for putting sure a high price on it.

If you had put a price of fifty cents then you might have been able to keep it. Unless of course a kid wanted to buy it with the fifty cents their grandmother gave them. :U

chuck1
29th May 2013, 07:53 PM
I guess it does! harsh but fair!

smiife
29th May 2013, 08:23 PM
hi willy,
very nice all three look great,love the york burl
the fence post! mmmm maybe some rusty old barbed wire
wrapped around it:; would add $$$$$$ to it:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

turnerted
30th May 2013, 05:56 PM
Very nice Willy.Much better with the pictures. Is the fence post a bud vase or just art?
Ted

Willy Nelson
30th May 2013, 11:28 PM
Nice work - really like the platter and that piece of burl is really special :2tsup:

to be really authentic the wire should be rusty :p

Yeah I thought so too.

So first I went to Bunnings, asked for a can of spray rust, nope they had run out.

Tried Masters, all they had was small tins, not enough. Then I realised there was spare rust on some old tools at home, so used that. Happy days.

The wire is actually rusty when I did it, but also had a chunk of horse hair and green moss. I made sure the green moss was affected during turning and sanding, then replaced the wire and the horse hair
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
30th May 2013, 11:32 PM
Very nice Willy.Much better with the pictures. Is the fence post a bud vase or just art?
Ted

Ted,
I leave that up to the customer how they use them. I sometimes put dried lavender or dried Bunny tails (the plants) in the neck.

I have made heaps of them, generally out of Jarrah or Jam, both look brilliant.

Can be hard to turn, or hard on the arms and shoulders as they are quite large, irregular and hard.

Sincerely
Willy