PDA

View Full Version : Teknatol Hughturn hollowing chisel

Lyle
28th May 2013, 11:20 AM
I have an old chisel that I am looking for technical info.
I have been to their website but can find no info. So in parallel I have sent them a request too.

The chisel is basically a round bar with a circular cone/disk mounted on the end using a small countersunk screw.

The thread for the screw is screwed :((
I need to re-tap it but cannot find the correct tap size. Has anyone had the same problems and found out the tap size?

I'm also going to a machine shop to see if they can identify it and supply me a tap.

Thanks in advance.

Lyle.

robbygard
28th May 2013, 02:36 PM
i don't know whether you have one near you but the "bolt barn" is very good for that sort of thing

regards david

hughie
28th May 2013, 06:49 PM
If you put up a piccy it would be easier for us to work something out. :2tsup:

COMPANY & PRODUCT TIME LINE (http://www.teknatool.com/History.htm) Your chisel are going back a few years.

Lyle
29th May 2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks Hughie. I missed that when I was browsing their website.
I have sent that link back to them after their recent reply "we do not have that in the warehouse".
I asked if they might still have some info in their archives/computers.
Also info on the disc, seeing it the tool is so old they probably do not have them anymore either.

The synic in me is now thinking that as the tool was designed not to wear out, and has replaceable tips, then they would stock the tips at least....

I have located a engineering suppliers here in Newcastle and will visit on Friday. Helpful bloke on phone suggested to bring it in and they will be able to at least identify the thread and supply a tap for it. I am hoping they might have some discs or equivalents.

No photos, it is just a threaded hole.
Lyle.

ian thorn
29th May 2013, 03:04 PM
I will go to the shed and see if that is in the instructions for mine sorry mine is a record power but you may be able to get a new screw and retap the bar

Ian

rsser
29th May 2013, 07:48 PM
Sounds like a rod with scraper tip.

If that's so, you can sharpen the scraper tip top on a very flat stone stone or with a diamond hone. With a diamond or similar hone just do the bevel as an alternative.

Buggered thread is fairly simple to fix. You or your fitter and turner mate (find one!) just drill out the trashed thread to the next size up and retap it to a std metric size using a HSS tap to match a replacement hex head screw. (I'm no metal worker but found that easy enough). Taps and screws you can get from your local industrial supplies place. Take down the dud kit if you like and they'll advise you.