PDA

View Full Version : up the creek without a paddle?

michael_m
30th May 2013, 06:03 PM
Here is a recent turning I made for a mate to help in one of his hobbies. The -item- in question is about 870mm long. which is the limit of my lathe's bed. I turned it without the benefit of a steady rest, which while good for developing some skills is not something I would do again - I was getting some serious flex towards the middle of the shaft towards the end.

I made it out of some Forest Redgum decking from Bunnings, and glued up the handle so that I could get a greater than 19mm diameter shaft. I also originally glued up the knob and turned it and the shaft in one piece, but at the very end succumbed to the lure of "just one more cut" and after getting hit in the faceshield by the resultant explosion, had to turn it down to a dowel and make a separate knob.

Any ideas what it might be for? :;

chuck1
30th May 2013, 06:30 PM
pizza oven slide! thats my guess looks good

nz_carver
30th May 2013, 07:46 PM
Holding Beer?

smiife
30th May 2013, 08:09 PM
Here is a recent turning I made for a mate to help in one of his hobbies. The -item- in question is about 870mm long. which is the limit of my lathe's bed. I turned it without the benefit of a steady rest, which while good for developing some skills is not something I would do again - I was getting some serious flex towards the middle of the shaft towards the end.

I made it out of some Forest Redgum decking from Bunnings, and glued up the handle so that I could get a greater than 19mm diameter shaft. I also originally glued up the knob and turned it and the shaft in one piece, but at the very end succumbed to the lure of "just one more cut" and after getting hit in the faceshield by the resultant explosion, had to turn it down to a dowel and make a separate knob.

Any ideas what it might be for? :;

hi Michael
looks very well turned and a bit of a challenge well done
my guess would be a stirrer for a wine vat...!!!!!!!!!:?:?:?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

cava
30th May 2013, 08:17 PM
A stirrer for wine, beer or cheese perhaps?

Christos
30th May 2013, 08:25 PM
I think something for cheese or milk related.

Sawdust Maker
30th May 2013, 08:56 PM
a paddle for the not-so-serious stirrer

Jonzjob
30th May 2013, 09:34 PM
It is obviously for an enthusiastic canoeist who has the strength to paddle fast but only the confidence to travel slowely :cool: :cool:

OK werez me prize :?

I had to turn a long lump similar size to that to carry a church banner and it do get exciting in the middle bit dun-it. That's a nice bit of turning there, well done!!:2tsup: :2tsup:

Dalboy
30th May 2013, 09:55 PM
I think it is a paddle for the crew of "The Slow Boat To China".:q So there.

Seriously a great job and certainly a challenge. And I think it is a stirrer in the beer making process.

michael_m
30th May 2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys :B. Several of you guessed it - it's a mash paddle for brewing beer.

My friend is a mad keen home brewer and has started doing full mash brews, hence the need for a paddle. The holes help break up lumps in the wort before adding the yeast.

turnerted
31st May 2013, 05:30 PM
Great work.Was the payment for the job in beer?
Ted

Pat
31st May 2013, 06:44 PM
Great work.Was the payment for the job in beer?Ted

Is there any other form of payment?

Good looking paddle, for even a more noble cause!