PDA

View Full Version : catches

fubar
2nd June 2013, 03:34 PM
Why is it, or is it just me:(( , that the majority of catches seem to happen just as your finishing the piece and you go hmmm just need to take that little bit off there...catch.... arghh :o

_fly_
2nd June 2013, 03:59 PM
Is that where those chips are coming from, they fly over my house?
Do mine make it from dandy to clayton as well.
Many many catches, and yep its always with that "I just need to take bit from.. B#&&3R".

A Duke
2nd June 2013, 04:22 PM
We could blame Murphy but it could be we relax a bit and think we are finished.
Regards

hughie
2nd June 2013, 05:14 PM
Hmm. I am familiar with the concept. :U

Sometimes at the end we have swarf or chips etc which can add to the problem.
Secondly we have to remember the final cut has to be very light and often after being busy with the whole process this can be lost as the end arrives.

The other problem is that it can be the last cut with a blunt gouge. I will often stop and spend a bit of time getting the edge very sharp for the last cut or cuts. Quite often changing to another tool to achieve the final ie I have a 1/2 Thompson and a 1/2 Super Flute as my major work horses and finish the job always with one of two P&N 3/8 gouges.

ian thorn
2nd June 2013, 06:02 PM
Stop the lathe take a rest for a minuet a walk in the garden or just clean around the lathe it will take that built up mussel tension away and rest the eyes.But what do I know:;
Ian

Scott
2nd June 2013, 06:16 PM
Hughie has nailed it. All too often we rush to get to the end point without thinking what it is we're actually try to achieve. I've completely slowed down my processes and added a little thinking time and the results have started to materialise. Mind you, a few pieces have been flung over the fence and into the paddock because of the dreaded catch :D

smiife
2nd June 2013, 06:33 PM
hi guys,
yes, i think we can all relate to that at some time or another:~
like as has already been said ,go for a walk,clean up ,tea or coffee time
sharpen the tool, deep breath and away you go!!!!!!!!!
cheers smiife:2tsup:

pommyphil
2nd June 2013, 06:52 PM
I was told to stop the lathe......and go through the mistake with the chisel while your body remembers

what you just did........ better to learn from mistakes than keep repeating them.

That said I have at least my share of them. :-

Christos
2nd June 2013, 06:57 PM
I think it might be the last one because of the catch. :U I always say to myself one more cut even when I start the project.

chuck1
2nd June 2013, 07:06 PM
I. put it down to lack of concentration and so did the tradies I worked with! happens to us all! at Tafe we would make the noise of the skew catching and it would start a chain reaction around the room but for real! we got yelled at by class mates! was funny though! not so funny when customer supplies timber!

Kidbee
2nd June 2013, 07:41 PM
If there is a positive, a catch and consequent resizing can improve on the original form.

Paul39
4th June 2013, 06:11 AM
All of the above, and the more time spent at the lathe the less catches you will have.

I think the most important are to quit before you are tired, and to freshly sharpen and hone to razor sharpness before the final cuts.

Wood Nut
4th June 2013, 08:11 AM
I was told to stop the lathe......and go through the mistake with the chisel while your body remembers

Hi Phil,

That sounds a lot like a "" comment as well, and one that makes a great deal of sense. I can still hear him saying it:)

Cheers,
Paul

Mr Brush
4th June 2013, 11:06 AM
If there is a positive, a catch and consequent resizing can improve on the original form.

Up to a point......but this might explain why I keep producing miniature items :D

People think I'm in the business of making 1:72 scale models of real world objects.....

Reminds me of a project to build a metal toolbox at TAFE years ago, basically an exercise in bending and spot welding sheet steel. Perfectionist that I am, every tiny defect resulted in me changing the design, cutting the sheet down a bit, and starting again. Eventually I ended up with a beautifully crafted toolbox about the size of a sardine tin, not even big enough to hold a screwdriver...:(

Mike Tilley
4th June 2013, 11:56 AM
That is what seems to happen to me when i'am close to the end and i get in a bit of a hurry to finish up. Just walk away!

Colin62
4th June 2013, 08:49 PM
My theory is that we practise the deeper shaping cuts a lot more because we do many more of those cuts as we get the item close to the final shape. Then we change mode to make a final smooth cut, we tense up because this is the cut that counts, couple that with the fact that we're doing something we do a lot less often and that's when it happens...