PDA

View Full Version : my segmented turnings

akuntz
3rd June 2013, 02:00 PM
Not much of a story teller so here are some pics of my passion on the lathe. The first and the fourth are copies from Malcom Tibbets book and dvd

270924270923270925270926270927 270928
thanks for looking

Al

cqvillas
3rd June 2013, 02:21 PM
Hi Akuntz,

Very impressive, they all look fantastic.:brava
Yet to do segmented work, hopefully they will turn out as good as that.

Cheers,
Nev.

Mulgabill
3rd June 2013, 02:23 PM
V e r y ! impressive cqvillas!:2tsup::2tsup:

bassmansimon
3rd June 2013, 02:24 PM
amazing work :2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
3rd June 2013, 06:57 PM
Absolutely marvelous,
Well executed segmented work is a joy to behold and these are fantastic.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

Simplicity
3rd June 2013, 07:02 PM
They are fantastic that's all I can say
Love the form
Well done

artful bodger
3rd June 2013, 07:23 PM
Nice work mate!
All I can say is you should forget about copying anything and go on your own tangent! You obviously have the know how,passion,and drive.Excellent!.

smiife
3rd June 2013, 08:08 PM
Not much of a story teller so here are some pics of my passion on the lathe. The first and the fourth are copies from Malcom Tibbets book and dvd
thanks for looking

Al

hi al ,
wow, what beautiful pieces, you should be very proud of your work:2tsup:
just looking at the photos and i think if i was sitting there between
those i would have a grin from ear to ear:U:U:U
well done !!!!!!!!! and welcome to the forum,hope to see more of your work
cheers smiife:2tsup:

orraloon
3rd June 2013, 08:22 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Impressive work.
You know you can't get away without some story telling and some more pics too.
Regards
John

sturina
3rd June 2013, 08:32 PM
Absolutely stunning!

powderpost
3rd June 2013, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Al, There is some pretty impressive stuff there. I can see you are not excited by small segmented stuff. :D
Nicely done. :2tsup:

Jim

artme
3rd June 2013, 10:00 PM
G'day Al and welcome to the shed!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great work indeed. Some time consuming glue ups there but worth the effort!!:brava:brava:brava:brava

hughie
3rd June 2013, 11:26 PM
Welcome aboard and what outstanding collection of segmented work. :2tsup:

shedbound
3rd June 2013, 11:49 PM
welcome, WOW, excellent work, have you any idea just how many individual pieces went into making these?
regards
Joel

Dalboy
4th June 2013, 01:28 AM
Fantastic:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:.

Must have taken ages with all that cutting and glueing. I have seen the fourth one in a magazine where it showed how to glue and cut all the bits, Have wanted to do that one for ages but have to search all through the magazines. Well maybe one day.:roll:

steamingbill
4th June 2013, 11:35 AM
Gee whizz thats pretty good ...................... no ...... wait ....... I'll promote that to stunning.

What ballpark hours are you looking at for the complicated assembly before you put the blank on the lathe ?

Bill

Mike Tilley
4th June 2013, 11:47 AM
Really nice job what are the sizes?

Ad de Crom
4th June 2013, 07:49 PM
You're obviously a fan of segmented work, just as Malcolm Tibbets.
It looks fantastic, and see what dedication, patience and passion to lead.
I love this kind of segmented work.
Welcome on board, Ad

akuntz
5th June 2013, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for the compliments. In photo one there are 1152 pieces if you count every little piece but the main feature ring is what Malcom calls lamination trickery. It is just a bunch of triangles glued together then cut in thin strips then flipped and you get what they call an Indian blanket. Unfortunately I used woods that were too similar in color and are not very contrasting. It should look like photo 4, Photo 1 was my first try at this. Nothing like starting big and intense. It took me about 100 hours or so. It is about 30 inches tall. Sorry no metric here in my shop even though Canada is metric. The 4th photo is almost 4 feet tall. The feature ring is basically built the same way as the Indian blanket design. It is hard to see but I put a piece of Ebony on the tip of each wing to make it look like a black tipped Thunderbird. I had this feature ring done and was just going to shave it down a bit more when I caught an edge and the thing exploded. I can't believe I never even swore I just left it on the floor and went for supper and started over the next day.
Thanks again for all the compliments it is always encouraging to hear compliments from fellow turners

Al

Christos
5th June 2013, 09:53 AM
Really some amazing work.