PDA

View Full Version : Lub for Dead Center?

Donnie
11th May 2005, 02:45 AM
For spindle work, I usually put a little grease from my lub gun (car grease) on my dead center but find that the open-pores in wood like oak suck this up and I wind up with this stuff on my turning after I nip off the ends. What should I be using for lub? (Other than a live center?)

Donnie

RETIRED
11th May 2005, 08:19 AM
Grease or heavy oil as you have been using is the normal thing to use and you cut the timber overlength to have enough to trim the greasy bit off.

Candle wax can also be used but you have to be quick in your turning.

Unfortunately a live centre is the answer.

PAH1
11th May 2005, 09:44 AM
Am I missing something here, but the only thing that I have seen a dead centre used for is to drive small work pieces eg Trembleurs (sp?), by JF Escoulen rather than using it at the tailstock.

RETIRED
11th May 2005, 09:26 PM
Am I missing something here, but the only thing that I have seen a dead centre used for is to drive small work pieces eg Trembleurs (sp?), by JF Escoulen rather than using it at the tailstock.
Yep you are missing something. :D

In the dim dark ages there was no such thing as live tail stock centres. Imagine that. Tail stock centres were dead.

gatiep
12th May 2005, 02:55 AM
Quote : "Tail stock centres were dead."

And nowadays most people that used them are!

LOL!!! :D

rsser
12th May 2005, 05:20 PM
Geez, that makes me feel old.

(Still have the dead centre too!).

Termite
12th May 2005, 05:37 PM
Geez, that makes me feel old.

(Still have the dead centre too!).
And I'm older than you, and a few years ago I was dead in the centre for a short while too. :D

rsser
12th May 2005, 05:44 PM
Glad you're spinning freely again Termite. What was it ... lube or a new centre? ;-}

Termite
12th May 2005, 05:47 PM
New spring (stent). Everything spinning ok now. :D