PDA

View Full Version : Painting Bowl Interiors

ogato
12th June 2013, 07:07 PM
I've recently completed a jacaranda bowl that has some hairline cracks in the inside (sealed with CA). They look a bit unsightly so I thought I'd have a go at painting or colouring the inside of the bowl, thus covering the offending crack/s, while also doing something different and colourful.

I usually finish my work with Oil - the question is, what to use to colour the inside. Paint - oil based, or acrylic. Dye? Any suggestions or assistance welcomed.

OJ

smiife
12th June 2013, 09:14 PM
hi oj,
i understand your problem, but a photo would probably help
some cracks would not be hidden even with paint!
but if i where using paint i would be using an acrylic one!!
just my 2 bob's worth hope it helps
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
12th June 2013, 11:31 PM
If you were to use a dye then the crack will be highlighted.

I guess I should elaborate a little. I had a similar situation where the outside had a crack so I added one colour dye to the whole piece then epoxy to the crack. Sanded smooth the epoxy then another colour dye and sanded this out to lessen the second colour.

What I ended up with was two tones of colour for the one piece.

dr4g0nfly
15th June 2013, 06:28 AM
Have you considered not painting it but covering it. There is a metal foil flake product available in a variety of shades which look stunning.

No idea where you'd get it in Aus but it's an accessory to polymer clay - Metal Flake (http://www.nemravka.cz/en/eshop/detail/material-clay-inks-foils-etc/metal-leaves-and-flakes/metal-flakes-colour-mix.html)

ogato
15th June 2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the advice and options guys.

I borrowed some of my wifes Atelier acrylic paint and put a couple of coats on the inside of the bowl. The next issue is how to seal it. I might use the artist varnish she has in her painting kit . . . but I'm also thinking I might just put a coat of Kunos on when I finish off oiling the outside. However before doing so, I'm intending to do a coupleof patches on a scrap piece of wood and see how the various alternatives work out before I finish the job.

OJ272351272352

turnerted
15th June 2013, 05:28 PM
I've put danish oil over acrylic with no problems so Kunos oil should be fine.
Ted

ogato
15th June 2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks Ted - I'll go with that.

OJ