PDA

View Full Version : natural edges

turnerted
14th June 2013, 02:38 PM
G'day
Here's three different types of natural edge forms I've done recently.
Bottlebrush endgrain vase 190mm diam x 140mm high
Winged bottlebrush bowl 220mm x 120mm x 70mm high
Ironbark bowl 200mm wide x 140mm high
All finished with DO
Hope you like, comments welcome.
Ted

wheelinround
14th June 2013, 04:07 PM
Ted they all look great I still have a fair stash of Bottle Brush of various sizes you have captured the unique colour through the grain :2tsup: Your lucky to have retained some of the bark as every time I turn it I loose it usually in big chunks even after checking using a screw driver.

The Iron Bark is impressive looks very oval:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

shedbound
14th June 2013, 04:14 PM
Nice:2tsup: I particularly like the square one on the far right
regards
Joel

elderly
14th June 2013, 04:34 PM
Nice work Ted. I like them all, nice forms and well finished.
Cheers Frank

artme
14th June 2013, 05:36 PM
Passed with flying coloures Ted!! Noice work all round!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mick59wests
14th June 2013, 06:04 PM
Ted,
they are absolutely stunning. A great job :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Mick

Paul39
15th June 2013, 02:44 AM
Ted,

I love the square one, especially the color change looking down on it.

Do you have to re glue some of the bark while turning? I have varying luck keeping bark on. Some timbers keep it on better than others.

dr4g0nfly
15th June 2013, 06:34 AM
I'm definitely with the majority here, the square edged bowl with the grain change effect is stunning.:2tsup:

mick61
15th June 2013, 08:28 AM
:2tsup: nice work pick what you think is the best piece and enter the Australian woodturning exhibition next year.
Mic:D

turnerted
15th June 2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I did nothing special to keep the bark on except pray. The vase and the ironbark were rough turned green but the wing bowl was turned from a dry half log.
Ted

woodwork wally
20th June 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I did nothing special to keep the bark on except pray. The vase and the ironbark were rough turned green but the wing bowl was turned from a dry half log.
Ted

Nice job Ted :2tsup::2tsup: I have some californian redwood logs and you have given me some inspiration:D Hope I can do half as good as yours Cheers WW.Wally

Paul39
21st June 2013, 12:58 AM
Nice job Ted :2tsup::2tsup: I have some californian redwood logs and you have given me some inspiration:D Hope I can do half as good as yours Cheers WW.Wally

How did California redwood logs find their way to AU?

Dalboy
21st June 2013, 01:37 AM
Great turning on all of them:2tsup::2tsup:.

I am also drawn to the winged bowl, really shows off the colour of the wood.

turnerted
21st June 2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Wally I have never turned redwood so can't comment on how the bark will stay on.
My suggestions would be, when turning the bark edges,come in from the outside by carefully creaping up on the edge while watching the ghost image. If making the wing bowl,run the lathe faster than normal to minimise the time you are turning air. You will probably get tramtracks near the outer edge and I find it best to gently sand these with a power sanding cone or I have use an orbital sander with success. In both cases with the lathe stationary then with the lathe running,sand with a power sander keeping the top edge of the sander tilted towards you.
Best of luck.
Ted

hughie
21st June 2013, 06:41 PM
Ted I really like these, great job well done. :2tsup:

Uncle Al
21st June 2013, 10:03 PM
I'll have a vote for the square edge bowl. It is quite different, and very attractive grain shown off to it's best advantage.

I assume you are suitably proud of a job well done:D

Alan...