PDA

View Full Version : footware

chuck1
14th June 2013, 10:31 PM
question! what shoes do you wear when doing the turning shuffle? ive just purchased a pair of mongrel work boots and so far they are very kind to my feet, being in them for 8 hrs a day! I dont think this topic is brought up enough! does anyone have any views?

RETIRED
15th June 2013, 12:35 AM
Been wearing Mongrels for the last 10 years. Only things wide enough for my landing barges.:D

BlackbuttWA
15th June 2013, 10:30 AM
I used to wear "Blundstones " (Blunnies) . The last ones I bought were "Redbacks" I can wear these for 8 hours no trouble.

Col

Scott
15th June 2013, 11:10 AM
Okay, I'm going to be shouted down here but when I'm turning I wear a pair of Crocs (Crocs Bistro (http://www.crocsaustralia.com.au/crocs-bistro/10075,en_AU,pd.html?cid=001&cgid=collection-work)). I bought these for work because I have plantar fasciitis and ended up buying a second pair for around home. If I start doing some heavy stuff then I switch over to my Blunnies. The Crocs are light, comfortable and protect my toes. And most importantly, they don't exacerbate my sore foot!

artme
15th June 2013, 03:02 PM
Was in town looking at foot wear today but only because a new camping store with great opening sale prices
has opened up. Didn't know about it until I pulled up so the boss could go to JB Hi Fi!!

Some good deals. I don't like steel toed boots so My choices are a little limited. Must look for some Mongrels.

Now where else in the world would you get a brand called Mongrel??

shedbound
15th June 2013, 03:14 PM
If it's of any interest to those with sore feet, KT-26's and Dunlop volleys can be found with steel caps.
I think I have tried nearly all boots I find I need good rubber on the sole so as not to slip on wet timber, Blundstone were great 20+ years ago. Red backs were OK, Rossi (HMMM), currently using oliver (not leather boots) still to try Mongrel.
The best footware I ever came across were Treadlite Rawhides, but can no longer find them

nz_carver
15th June 2013, 03:27 PM
I turn with puma safety shoes on as I don't like boots they look just like a shoe

delbs
15th June 2013, 03:31 PM
Needed a pair of steelcaps for work a few years ago and So got a pair of Redbacks. Very comfy, i have only ever dropped one or two things on the toe and the steel cap was there to save me. Plenty of years left in these redbacks! :2tsup:

hughie
15th June 2013, 05:08 PM
crocs in winter and thongs in summer

chuck1
15th June 2013, 07:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to be shouted down here but when I'm turning I wear a pair of Crocs (Crocs Bistro (http://www.crocsaustralia.com.au/crocs-bistro/10075,en_AU,pd.html?cid=001&cgid=collection-work)). I bought these for work because I have plantar fasciitis and ended up buying a second pair for around home. If I start doing some heavy stuff then I switch over to my Blunnies. The Crocs are light, comfortable and protect my toes. And most importantly, they don't exacerbate my sore foot!

I also have that plantar fasciitis and ive had these boots for a week and abit and the heel pain is all but gone! threw the bluesteel boots in the bin as they were part of the problem. they had a spongy heel bit!
great to see the feed back! think I would get sent home if I fronted in thongs! or crocs!

Kidbee
15th June 2013, 09:02 PM
I also have that plantar fasciitis and ive had these boots for a week and abit and the heel pain is all but gone! threw the bluesteel boots in the bin as they were part of the problem. they had a spongy heel bit!
great to see the feed back! think I would get sent home if I fronted in thongs! or crocs!

I am a sufferer also. Live in a steep sloping block and have been gardening and landscaping. I too think old spongy heel Steel Blue boots could have contributed to the condition. Strange thing about my condition that it can switch from one heel to the other. Just bought my first pair of Mongrels and new Steel Blue so will be able to give them a comparison.

Mobyturns
15th June 2013, 10:40 PM
Why not use inner soles with arch supports for the plantar fasciitis? I wear Olivers because that is what my employer suppplies.

Paul39
16th June 2013, 01:32 AM
Any shoe that will protect the foot from a falling point down skew. I wear running shoes because they are comfortable and give enough protection.

All of you with plantar fasciitis try some alfalfa pills from a health food store, along with the stretching exercises.

I started with the chopped up and compressed alfalfa, but found an extract which works as well taking one small pill a day vs 4 - 6 huge ones.

Rolling the foot on a frozen can of whatever you have handy soothes the foot after standing too long.

Pat
16th June 2013, 07:44 AM
Another vote for Mongrels.

Artme, there are 3 retailers in your local area. Clicky (http://www.mongrelboots.com.au/index.php)

TTIT
16th June 2013, 10:09 PM
crocs in winter and thongs in summerDunno what crocs are :think: - it's just thongs all year round here :U - 'cept the 5 or 6 icy nights we have each winter (sub 8 degrees!) - then I pull out some old workshoes :shrug:

snowyskiesau
16th June 2013, 10:18 PM
8 degrees! That's a summer temperature. You need nice warm boots down here.

My current boots (Blunnies) are just about stuffed so I'll have to make a list from this thread so I can check them out.
I should be another pair of Blunnies, still being a local company even if their product is made elsewhere.

Beedeejay
16th June 2013, 10:52 PM
Another vote for Mongrels steel caps,
Im thought they used to be called Airzones or something :? Maybe :?

Can easily wear them 10+ hrs a day.

Have a Oliver's below the ankle slip on now, not as comfy as mongrels but still ok IMO but they seem to go better with dress pants, ( the joys of needing to wear safety boots in an office job)

Funny thing is I have hit the top of my foot nearly 100 times over the years with stuff being dropped while wearing steel caps(and missing the steel cap), went to work for a week wearing runners as I left my boots somewhere else and dropped at least 3 things on my toes,

Still would rather wear the caps

Old-Biker-UK
17th June 2013, 03:29 AM
Dunno what crocs are................
Swore I wouldn't wear them when they first came out. Wife bought me a pair (they were on special...), tried them (just to please LOML) and now only take them off to go to bed, sometimes not even then if I been at the Rioja.

crowie
17th June 2013, 09:20 AM
Used to get Blunstones when working.
The one thing the Blunstones factory rep told me was to rotate another pair of boots, as this gives the inside of the boots time to dry out especially in warmer months.
He also recommended a produce called Pedoz; a foot powder to help with drying fungicidal, antibacterial issues and deodorizes were strong foot smell is an issue.
Now days I wear orthopedic boots [extra width, extra depth] from P.W.Manor in USA along with custom made orthodic's and still use the Pedoz powder..

DaveTTC
17th June 2013, 12:08 PM
I used to wear "Blundstones " (Blunnies) . The last ones I bought were "Redbacks" I can wear these for 8 hours no trouble.

Col
Same, but they don't make them like they used to. I live in mine 7 days a week from the time I get up till I go to bed unless an occasion calls for something different. Was recently best man at a mates wedding and I couldn't polish all the paint spots out.

My current boots I got in late 2012 and got holes in toes already.

Do they do these in a steel cap, time for me to get new shoes, my toes are getting wet.

chuck1
17th June 2013, 09:53 PM
calling early but I think it's been $145 well spent! now to down size the tool belt to lessen the extra weight to carry around!
I also had a pair of Oliver's which were great till I dropped a 4by4 by 4 metres and it dented the steelcap!

Christos
18th June 2013, 08:35 AM
.....and now only take them off to go to bed, sometimes not even then if I been at the Rioja.

:doh:

steamjunkprops
18th June 2013, 09:06 AM
Im in my steel caped blunstones 9 hours a day and these boots are holding up well. I've also tried bisleys steelcaps but they were too bulky and the dunlop volley caps are way too small for my big feet

Check me out:
www.facebook.com/steamjunkprops Or Steamjunkprops.deviantart.com

chambezio
18th June 2013, 09:49 AM
[Quote; ....Bisley Steelcaps....too bulky]

That is a good description for them. I bought a pair but I feel like they are like "Clown Boots" I keep treading or kicking things and I couldn't figure out why. Now I know. They are a comfortable boot but they are just bulky on my feet

hughie
18th June 2013, 10:54 AM
Swore I wouldn't wear them when they first came out. Wife bought me a pair (they were on special...), tried them (just to please LOML) and now only take them off to go to bed, sometimes not even then if I been at the Rioja.

and here Men's Shoes, Accessories, Apparel and More | Crocs Official Site (http://www.crocsaustralia.com.au/crocs-men/men,en_AU,sc.html) Although I did buy my current pair overseas at a much better price than here in Oz

jimbur
18th June 2013, 11:18 AM
As far as I can see (I'm not taking them off to look), I'm wearing T Boots. Seem to be the most comfortable steel toe-capped boots I've ever had. I don't notice I'm wearing them until I drop something and it doesn't hurt.:D

issatree
18th June 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi all,
When I was working, 23 Years ago, we had a Choice of B' Stones / Jenkins / Oliver.
I could not get into to 1st. 2, but the Olivers were great, & they were only a Desert Boot then, with 6 Lace Holes.

Well, these Days, retired, mostly Tired, I wear Rivers Corbys.
I think that is right.
All of a sudden, they are not available, & I look quite regularly, so I bought some newie's the other day, but they are quite hard on the feet.

Their Quality has slipped, as the Soles come away from the Upper.
Even Glued them back up a couple of times.

So I may have to look else where.

It wood be great if Rivers were to read all these Feed backs.
Yeh, In a Pigs Whistle ?????.

powderpost
18th June 2013, 02:45 PM
crocs in winter and thongs in summer
Gets pretty cold up here in winter so crocs are warmer...
Jim

artme
19th June 2013, 08:02 PM
Another vote for Mongrels.

Artme, there are 3 retailers in your local area. Clicky (http://www.mongrelboots.com.au/index.php)

Thanks Pat! I actually found the one in Maryborough yesterday but they had nothing to suit me.

Today I tracked down Sauer's in Hervey Bay and bought a pair with the laces and the zippered side
Cost $184 but they FIT!!!. You see I have a left foot that is 1/2 a size bigger than the right. In a boot any
slack in the right boot is taken up by using an extra sock of the right thickness. (sure beats the hell out
of buying two pairs of boots!!

Sawdust Maker
20th June 2013, 09:39 PM
I just picked up a pair of blundstones - nice fit and they are comfortable - and steel capped
oh and they look like runners

Jonzjob
21st June 2013, 12:07 AM
Leather top clogs in the winter and steel capped Crocs like these Crocs (http://www.crocs.com/crocs-duet-athens/12058,default,pd.html?cid=46U&cgid=men-footwear-flip-flop) in the summer, if it finally decides to arrive:C

Easy way to avoid sticking things in yer toes, don't drop em :o