PDA

View Full Version : Turning a window

artful bodger
16th June 2013, 05:59 PM
These are older photos, of when I had some hair.
I do still however make several of these a year for window manufacturers, and thought it may be of interest to fellow turners,
This particular window is made from Tasmanian oak, however I prefer cedar (American/ or whatever it is that the cedar windows are made from) as its a lot easier to turn.
Segmented construction, turned at pretty low spindle speed.Outside faceplate,toolrest sits on floor.

RETIRED
16th June 2013, 06:26 PM
Another idiot like me?:D

A Duke
16th June 2013, 06:28 PM
:2tsup: I wouldn't have even thought of it being done on a lath.
Regards

Christos
16th June 2013, 07:09 PM
Yes it is interesting and as mention I would not have thought it was done on a lathe.

slidingdovetail
16th June 2013, 07:22 PM
I work for a company that makes and installs window from western red cedar and merbau sills and have wondered how the circular windows are made as we have not yet made one. I always thought they were formed by either bending timber or using laminated pieces cut to shape.
So thanks for posting your photos and showing me how it is done by the lathe. Impressive work.
Am wandering, although circular, do you slightly taper the outside reveal section like how window sills are angled for water run off? And is glazing putty the only practical finish you would use to seal in the glass?

chuck1
16th June 2013, 07:45 PM
thats impressive! we used to turn timber rings for lights, not that big! did you ever have any let fly out of the lathe?

rwbuild
16th June 2013, 07:49 PM
I work for a company that makes and installs window from western red cedar and merbau sills and have wondered how the circular windows are made as we have not yet made one. I always thought they were formed by either bending timber or using laminated pieces cut to shape.
So thanks for posting your photos and showing me how it is done by the lathe. Impressive work.
Am wandering, although circular, do you slightly taper the outside reveal section like how window sills are angled for water run off? And is glazing putty the only practical finish you would use to seal in the glass?

Is also done on a CNC profiling machine , the circular window is made up from segmented sections then finished on the CNC.
Yes, the external section is weathered to dispel water.
Not many use putty these days,pigmented glazing silicon is preferred now, it doesnt go brittle over time and stays water tight, no leakage and yes it is paintable

artful bodger
16th June 2013, 07:51 PM
Of course they can be laminated.The good thing about turning them is they end up round(try laminating one and ending up with a perfectly round frame).It makes for easier glass cutting and a pretty good overall finish.
Yes I do slightly taper/angle the outside reveal of the sill for the water to run off.
Silicone seems to be the easiest way to seal the glass, though I think some people have used putty.For others I have made up thin segments of timber,even make split opening ones.

slidingdovetail
16th June 2013, 08:05 PM
...Not many use putty these days,pigmented glazing silicon is preferred now, it doesnt go brittle over time and stays water tight, no leakage and yes it is paintable

Yeah we also use silicone (or polyeurethane sealant) to seal the glass in place but on the outside I would find it hard to tool/smooth/finish the silicone off whereas linseed putty would be easier to get that 'glazing bead' look.

dr4g0nfly
17th June 2013, 06:45 AM
I have a collection of old woodwork books. I've seen this explaned, but your pictures are the first time I've seen it demonstrated.

Thanks for the posting.