PDA

View Full Version : It's a respected brand, what do you think

Fred in Tassie
12th May 2005, 09:58 AM
Mik International have a Hegner Lathe on special for $2,799.00. with stand. http://www.mik.com.au/ left side of page, Select product category:scroll to specials.

I am not able to locate the motor size unless I have missed it on the site, I might e-mail Mik to ask.

Has anyone on the forum used, or sighted one of these lathes.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Still looking
Fred.

smidsy
12th May 2005, 11:00 AM
Hei Fred,
I couldn't see a motor size either.
I have to admit that I know nothing about the Hegner lathes, but if I was going to spend that sort of money I would be going for Vicmarc.

From the pic it looks kinda wimpy and at 57kg it's actually lighter than an MC900.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
12th May 2005, 03:50 PM
Common enough in Europe - advertised regularly in Brit woodworking/turning mags. See

http://www.hegner.co.uk/system/index.html

If it's the HDB200XL, 3/4 hp. Not a lot.

Tho like Paul, I'd be thinking Vicmarc (or the Nova DVR) at that price. Better access to parts and support.

adrian
12th May 2005, 04:24 PM
I agree with Paul. If it's the HDB 200SE that's shown on that link it seems incredibly lightweight for that price
I know how the heavier MC900 reacts to a 250mm out of balance blank and in the specs for the Hegner it mentions a 750mm piece. I think you might get plenty of exercise turning a 750mm unbalanced blank because you may have to chase the lathe around the workshop.
I don't know how much a Vicmarc VL175EVSM costs but the net weight is 180kg.
http://www.vicmarc.com/

rsser
12th May 2005, 04:35 PM
The Vicmarc is well above the quoted Hegner price. The DVR is closer in terms of price and some specs, tho I think its motor has more punch. Check on the Teknatool website.

That Hegner has a ground steel box-section bed. That rings alarm bells for me.

Edit: In the Mik dogalogue the SE is rated at 750w so that's 1 hp. And it doesn't come with outboard rest standard and is said to have a bed up to 1m. Like the Vicmarc 175, you still have to change a belt to get the full speed range and its a pill (I know; I've got one).

Question the value.

Edit 2: no mention of swivel head?

Ozartisan
12th May 2005, 10:48 PM
For what it's worth, I would say for that money, go for the Nova DVR.
A great, solid cast iron lathe... hate to admit it - but the Kiwis make a good product.
Smooth as silk - and no belts to buggerise around with.
Glad I made the move to a DVR!

Toasty
13th May 2005, 11:29 AM
The Vicmarc is well above the quoted Hegner price

Is $200 more for the Vicmarc what you consider well above? Vicmarc VL175EVSM that I recently had quoted at $2999.00

edit: Changed to say that I only got a quote on the Vicmarc, not that I had GOT the Vicmarc :rolleyes:

adrian
13th May 2005, 02:18 PM
Is $200 more for the Vicmarc what you consider well above? Vicmarc VL175EVSM that I recently got quoted at $2999.00
I'm glad you posted that because you saved me a phone call. I was curious about the price of the Vicmarc. I wish Carbatec would post the prices on their website. This idea of using P.O.A on the internet is ridiculous because keeping prices up to date takes just a few keystrokes.
I wonder if it's like the Rolls Royce dealer who says that if you have to ask then you probably can't afford it.
The Hegners ability to reverse direction sounds like it could be handy but it still looks far too lighweight.

smidsy
13th May 2005, 02:24 PM
Adrian,
My turning club has a brand new 175 and it has reverse.
And yes Carbatec is badly let down by their website but they don't seem to care.
Cheers
Paul

adrian
13th May 2005, 02:38 PM
Ah yes, I didn't scroll down far enough on the specs. Right at the bottom it says "Forward & Reverse Switch - YES"

Toasty
13th May 2005, 02:57 PM
G'day Adrian,

I've gotten lucky. SWMBO has authorised expenditure from the war chest on a new lathe later this year. She knows I stopped turning because the second hand Durden I had pretty well reached the end of it's life and my ambitions. Got to the stage where I wouldn't even turn a bit of red gum without the motor overheating and shutting down after a few minutes. I know I could probably buy a new motor for it, but then the ambition part comes in, I wanted to do bigger stuff!!!

So I am figuring on a budget of up to $3,000 which puts both the Nova DVR and the Vicmark VL175EVSM both into contention. I've not looked into turning for a while so am not up with what is current etc so have spent the last few days searching this forum for threads on both.

Just between you and me, I would really prefer the likes of the VL300ESVX at $3999.00 but I think I will be pushing my luck there as I need the money for a decent dust extraction system and noice chuck setup. Basically this time I will do it properly :cool:

adrian
13th May 2005, 11:05 PM
It never stops does it. I just spent as much on a chuck and jaws as I did on my MC900. Now I can tell myself that my chuck has outgrown my lathe and I need a better one. Then I need to modify my house to fit in a bigger lathe. Then.................
I think I'm going to have to get a job! :eek:

WOODY70
13th May 2005, 11:28 PM
Hello Toasty,

Why don't you try the jet 16/42 eletronic variable lathe heavy duty $2500 will walk all over the vicmarc 175 and has life time warranty.

G'day Adrian,

I've gotten lucky. SWMBO has authorised expenditure from the war chest on a new lathe later this year. She knows I stopped turning because the second hand Durden I had pretty well reached the end of it's life and my ambitions. Got to the stage where I wouldn't even turn a bit of red gum without the motor overheating and shutting down after a few minutes. I know I could probably buy a new motor for it, but then the ambition part comes in, I wanted to do bigger stuff!!!

So I am figuring on a budget of up to $3,000 which puts both the Nova DVR and the Vicmark VL175EVSM both into contention. I've not looked into turning for a while so am not up with what is current etc so have spent the last few days searching this forum for threads on both.

Just between you and me, I would really prefer the likes of the VL300ESVX at $3999.00 but I think I will be pushing my luck there as I need the money for a decent dust extraction system and noice chuck setup. Basically this time I will do it properly :cool:

rsser
14th May 2005, 08:26 AM
Is $200 more for the Vicmarc what you consider well above? Vicmarc VL175EVSM that I recently had quoted at $2999.00

edit: Changed to say that I only got a quote on the Vicmarc, not that I had GOT the Vicmarc :rolleyes:

When I bought mine I tried to play retailers off against each other on the RRP of $3.3k. No hope. Ended up buying one for $2.7k without stand. Then found I needed to shell out $450 for a locally built stand and wiring up.

With the Nova there's no stand standard (!) as far as I'm aware, so you have to add in this factor in the price as well.

Toasty
14th May 2005, 10:29 AM
G'day Woody,

Why don't you try the jet 16/42 eletronic variable lathe heavy duty $2500 will walk all over the vicmarc 175 and has life time warranty.
Do you have a link to some vital stats, I am having trouble finding a Jet website.

And on that note, how crap in general are lathe manufacturer websites, IF you can find them the information is next to useless?!!

rsser
14th May 2005, 12:27 PM
Hmm, including the Teknatool site?

adrian
14th May 2005, 03:32 PM
Hello Toasty,

Can anyone tell me what a lifetime warranty is. If it's my life time it's a beauty but if it's the lifetime of the warrantied object then as soon as the object dies the warranty should become invalid. That could be the day after purchase.
I've never had a lifetime warranty on anything so if someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

rsser
14th May 2005, 03:41 PM
Had experience of this with top-brand bushwalking gear ... the manufacturer accepted that failure outside reasonable wear and tear was his to remedy. (In some cases the fine print tho says .... applies only to original purchaser).

So ask to see the warranty.

Any case, most faults show up within warranty period, and there's not a lot to go wrong with a lathe outside that excluding abuse or wear and tear. (see the thread about abstinence or protection ... avoid unwanted, um, consequences ;) ... )

Toasty
14th May 2005, 03:55 PM
Hmm, including the Teknatool site?

Teknatool is one of the better sites, so I was generalising :p

Found some info on the JET at a vendor's site. Having trouble finding out how powerful the motor is though. It also doesn't appear to have a swivel head, although you can/could slide the headstock to the end of the bed (but would need some form of remote tool rest I guess).

rsser
14th May 2005, 04:03 PM
Don't know where you are Toasty. Someone here in Melb. flogs the Jet. Woodworking warehouse? Anyway, sometimes you get better info from the retailer, esp. if you can find a counter-jumper who actually turns.

Toasty
14th May 2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks Ern,

I'm in Canberra and the Working With Wood show is hitting Syndey in June (I think) so I might have to take a drive and check things out.

few taps at the keyboard later

Confirmed, June 3rd 4th and 5th for the show in Sydney

http://www.workingwithwood.com

rsser
14th May 2005, 06:17 PM
Cool.

Good advice to join a club and pick pple's brains.

Your patch, ring the Richard Raffan, go out and take a few lessons, think about what you need to do what you want to do. Not ever wasted money.

The end-user really is the end-user.

Take your time.

Toasty
14th May 2005, 08:01 PM
I actually attended a weekend seminar with Richard Raffan a couple of years ago and got to watch him in action on a Vicmark 300 shortbed. Fantastic watching a master in action like that.

Just so you know, I was turning every night for about a year and then off and on for another couple of years until the shortcomings of my lathe really started to take the pleasure out of turning for me. At the time we had just moved into a new place which doubled our mortgage and although I knew a larger lathe would solve my problems the finances just didn't permit it.

So with my lathe not being up to snuff and then the pressures of everyday life encroaching on my time I was turning less and less until I just eventually stopped. The irony of it is doing woodturning actually helped reduce the amount of stress in my life because it is so relaxing, but here I am preaching to the choir.

So anyway, I had been showing a guy at work some of my stuff because he was looking for a hobby and I was telling him a lot is possible on a beginners lathe. Just talking about it and having people say, "Wow! Did you really make this?!!!" has got me psyched up and the wife is fully supportive that I should start turning again.

Wrapping this up (if you’re still reading) I figure I will go and buy some decent gear but I am going to take my time and do my research properly. Doesn't worry me if it takes months and months to make a decision, because in the end it will be the right one! ;)

Coldamus
14th May 2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Toasty]Found some info on the JET at a vendor's site. Having trouble finding out how powerful the motor is though./QUOTE]

It is 2 hp. according to Major Woodworking Equipment's web site. http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=412

regards
Coldamus

WOODY70
14th May 2005, 10:15 PM
Try gregmach.com that,s gregory machinery Brisbane.
I do know that s/e qld woodworking supplies had used them at Turn-fest and was selling on special for $2200-00
cheers
G'day Woody,

Do you have a link to some vital stats, I am having trouble finding a Jet website.

And on that note, how crap in general are lathe manufacturer websites, IF you can find them the information is next to useless?!!

Toasty
14th May 2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Guys, I've added those links into my favourites.

Fred in Tas, please accept my apologies for the utter hi-jack of your thread, was not my intention.

Fred in Tassie
15th May 2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks Team

No worries Toastie, I believe this forum is to help and assist all.

This thread has convinced me to redirect my purchase away from the Hegner, possibly towards the Vicmarc. For the moment I will keep my money in my sky rocket with a view to adding extra dollars for that important purchase.

From overcast Tassie
Cheers Fred.

TimberNut
16th May 2005, 11:33 AM
Toasty,

Beg, borrow or steal the money if you have to.

Alternatively just convince SWMBO to let you spend the money on the VL300ESVX.
Tell her it is the 'rolls royce' and there is nothing more you will need to spend money on (which is total rubbish - there are always more VM120 chucks and various jaws to buy!!!!)

Once you have that beauty in your shed, just keep wearing her down to get more funds allocated.

Might cost you a few favours and IOU's (and the odd nice present for her) but hey, worked for me! ;)

Toasty
16th May 2005, 11:49 AM
Alternatively just convince SWMBO to let you spend the money on the VL300ESVX.
I have lusted after the VL300 even before I started turning. Just a huge brute of a machine! Also I know someone like Richard Raffen could make turning using an old pole lathe look effortless, but seeing him use the VL300 is the best advertisement Vicmarc could hope for. Poetry in motion.

Still the realities of the situation do bite. But who knows, might have a windfall or something when I am ready to lay my cash down. :D

La truciolara
18th May 2005, 04:43 AM
I take this thread somewhat late but can’t resist to tell you that sure the Hegner Lathe is a good lathe…. but here in Europe</ST1:p we dream about the Vicmarc which is too costly for us because of transportation costs …
If the difference in price is 200$ JUMP on the Vicmarc.

I have recently turned on a Jet 1642, at a training program by Jean François Escoulen ( http://www.escoulen.com/ worth visiting). This lathe is beautifull, smooth to run, does not has a swivel head. I still turned a 60cm dish on it. Therefore in the price do not forget to account for the external support tool. That is a disadvantage as compared with the Vicmarc 175

Little Festo
18th May 2005, 10:01 AM
I checked out the specs on the Jet 1642. It dosen't look too bad. It's heavier than the Vicmak 175 and has a 2hp motor. They were using them at the turnfest at Mt Tambourine and they looked ok. Jean François Escoulen is one exceptional wood turner and seems to be a great person as well. I have a the Vicmarc 300EVSX, the only better locally produced lathe would be the Stubby.

I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that Vicmarc have called their new budget lathes "Beavers" not an Aussie name like Wombat, Platapus or mabe Echidna (spelling??).

Peter

adrian
18th May 2005, 11:35 AM
I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that Vicmarc have called their new budget lathes "Beavers" not an Aussie name like Wombat, Platapus or mabe Echidna (spelling??).

Peter
The word from our American members is not to wear thongs when turning on your Beaver.