PDA

View Full Version : Ring Tool

John Saxton
6th December 2000, 08:37 PM
Having been asked for ideas to fill my Christmas stocking I have opted for a ring tool for hollow turning to compliment my existing array of tools.
Is out there amongst the fraternity anybody with experience in these that can recommend a particular make or model.
I am given to understand that these are employed in a shear scraping style but have not tried them as yet,the finish off the tool in a hollow turning leaving to very little or no sanding required.
TIA
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
6th December 2000, 11:28 PM
There is only one good ring tool and that is the one that was made by Vin Smith from Tasmania. Unfortunately Vin passed away a year or so ago and no one is manufacturing his tool anymore. There were a number of copies of the tool on the market the most readily available of these being the Sorby one.

NONE of them worked as well as the original. There have been, to my knowlege, a couple of attempts to duplicate this tool since Vin's death. Unsuccessfully!!

The tool used correctly does not scrape, it gives a clean sheer cut the same as using a gouge or skew (CORRECTLY). It is designed to cut through end grain cutting from the centre outwards in a slight pulling action so as to always be cutting with the grain.

I have a number of these tools including a couple that were made specially for me by Vin. If there is someone out there who has good metalurgical skills and can take instruction I would like to hear from them. Then maybe they will make a long awaited comeback.

To my mind this tool is one of the best special purpose tools ever made for woodturning. In the hands of someone who knows what they are about, it can take the inside out of a goblet in about 4-5 cuts and leave a surface that is shining and clean cut ready for a fine sand and some Shellawax.

Thats all I have to say, apart from. Thanks Vin (wherever you are) for such a great tool.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

RFNK
7th December 2000, 07:41 PM
But... is a ring tool the best tool to use for hollowing? Isn't it a maintenance nightmare? I've read really good reports about the Kelton hollower and I'm just about to invest in a set. I want to be able to hollow out smoothly right under the lip of vases etc. so I think the Kelton system will give me the greatest flexibility. Opinions?

ubeaut
7th December 2000, 11:03 PM
The ring tool is not designed for deep lips under a vase but is easily up to the job of smaller ones. It is straight and will only cut where the tool can fit.

The major difference is in the price. Around $40 for a ring tool compared with $OUCH! for most others. However it is not available and that makes it pretty well worthless for now.

Have you had a good look at the new Teknatool hollowing tool. It is pretty good stuff. Well worth considering. (I think itis Teknatool) Maybe Jim Carroll can let us know.

Maintenence and sharpening of the ring tool is simplicity itself and can be done in a few seconds while you are working with the tool on a job. But again, it is not available for now, so not worth mentioning.

RFNK
7th December 2000, 11:32 PM
Neil, I don't think Teknatool make any turning chisels or similar tools. It might be the Kelton (McNaughton) hollower you're thinking of. It's actually a set of three tools; one straight one, one with a bit of a curve in it and one with quite a solid curve. They each have a similar shaped cutting tip. The set of three costs around $120, without handles. Check it out at www.kelton.co.nz (http://www.kelton.co.nz)

ubeaut
8th December 2000, 12:06 AM
I could be wrong but I think you will find that they do now. It is definitely not a Kelton I am thinking of. I think. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif

Can't think of the name of them but I'm sure that Jim will help out with that tomorrow as they were being demonstrated on his Teknatool stand at the Melb WWW Show.

RFNK
8th December 2000, 08:51 PM
Thanks Neil, I'll look forward to hearing about it.

Jim Carroll
8th December 2000, 10:51 PM
The tool Neil is refering to is the Munro Hollowing tool. There is three tools in the set comprising a straight shaft,short bent shaft and a long bent shaft. These are about the closest anybody has come to the ring tool as you have a ring shaped cutting peice which has a guard over the top to stop any chance of a dig in. If you put the tool directly into the wood you get a rough cut to take all the waste away then to clean up you tilt it to 45 degees and shear scrape and this gives a very fine finish.At the Melbourne wood show we were demonstrating how to use the tool on the Teknatool Nova 3000 lathe by turning from tree trunk to a vase and also doing bowls of varius sizes with undercut lips with various size openings to show how easy it was to use.The length of eac shaft is 16" with a useable length of 14" but you only have the shaft protruding from the handle enough to do the job required. The sharpening of the tool is where modern technology is needed, all that is required is a peice of 3/8 dowell you then drill a 3mm hole just of centre to hold the cutter just firm enough so it will spin when placed against the grinding wheel remembering you are only sharpening it not grinding it away. If and when you need new cutters they are only $11 a pair and a replacement guard is $30.
Handle $71.00
Any Shaft$130.00
1 handle and any shaft $180.90
1 handle and 2shafts $297.90
1 handle and 3 shafts $414.90
These are available from Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies 03 5251 3874 or [email protected]
I hope this answers your questions but if anybody has any more do not hesitate to call

------------------
Jim
Turn it up

RFNK
13th December 2000, 08:44 PM
Don't want to seem rude Jim but I think that Munro Hollower must be the $OUCH Neil was referring to! I bought the Kelton medium hollower set for $120. It has a straight shaft, slightly curved shaft and curved shaft . The handle is extra ($50 I think) but I already had one that suits. Sharpening is easy, although I'll need to be careful to retain the original shape.

John Saxton
13th December 2000, 10:44 PM
I have thought about all the above posts that you gentlemen have considerately offered ....and I thank you for that ...I will hold off until the Perth WWW show in March and see for my self the tools in question possibly being demonstrated.

I e-mailed Kelton but have not received a response from them so.............

Meanwhile it's back to a stale box of chockies as an option for a chrissie prezzie!!

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gifI appreciate your input ....take care.

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 13 December 2000).]

RFNK
14th December 2000, 09:15 PM
Hey Johnno, I know I must be beginning to sound like the marketing division for Kelton but, well, here I go again... I've emailed Kel Mc several times over the last year or so and he's always replied straight away. It might be an idea to just check your details, just in case.