PDA

View Full Version : time for a yarn....

michael_m
4th July 2013, 05:35 PM
...bowl, that is.

I had never heard of a yarn bowl before, but my mother wanted one for her birthday, so armed with some pictures courtesy of google, I gave it a go.

They seem to be relatively common made out of ceramics, but I made it out of Silky Oak instead. The hardest bit was intentionally drilling and cutting into bowl to make the 'hook' :o

Here is the obligatory "bottom shot" for those who like that kind of thing:

And here it is in use.

(Just don't tell mum you have seen it. She doesn't get it until Saturday)

artme
4th July 2013, 05:51 PM
Nice bitta wood, nice bitta turning. Lucky mum!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Uncle Al
4th July 2013, 09:27 PM
I've been dragged around to heaps of craft shops and sewing places over the years, and never seen or heard of such a thing, but can see them being well received by SWMBO knitters. One could expect quite a few brownie points from the grateful recipient.
Should sell well in craft shops etc.
Nice piece of timber in this one, and nicely turned.
I might have to think about the base, rounded as per yours has merit for sitting in a lap, but could incorporate a flat section for sitting on a table etc.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Keep up the good work,
Alan...

dr4g0nfly
5th July 2013, 07:20 AM
Here in the UK I've been asked if I make these a couple of times at various shows I do, but never been chased up for one despite promises to contact me. Maybe I'd best make and put one on my stand.

You've made a good job of this, the wood is stunning. :2tsup:

brendan stemp
5th July 2013, 09:47 AM
A great project and you have done an excellent job with it. My nose starts to run just looking at the silky oak. Unfortunaely I have developed a LOAR (Late Onset Allergic Reaction) to it which has my nose running like a tap. Its lovely timber though.

Gra
5th July 2013, 11:45 AM
Hmmm ideas for xmas pressie for mum... Idea stored away, thanks, and nice bowl

turnerted
5th July 2013, 05:08 PM
Good idea. Always nice to make something that not only looks good but is usefull.
I might have to make a couple of these and see if they sell at the club sales.
Ted

bassmansimon
5th July 2013, 08:17 PM
Great work. I'm sure she is going to love it.
I would also be scared of what would happen when making the hook cutout. One slip and it's all over

mick59wests
5th July 2013, 10:43 PM
what was it finished with? I love silky (and have a fair bit) but have never seen it looking so dark.

thanks

Mick

michael_m
5th July 2013, 10:49 PM
what was it finished with? I love silky (and have a fair bit) but have never seen it looking so dark.

thanks

Mick

Sanded to 600, and 3 coats of tung oil. I thought it was a fairly standard colour for silky oak, but all my silky oak wood comes from only 3 trees that have been "harvested" from the kerb, so my experience of it is fairly limited.

mick59wests
5th July 2013, 11:44 PM
Hi again,

showed it to SWMBO and she knew exactly what it was (she is a keen knitter) so now it is on my 'to do' list, so.......how did you do the 'cutout'? It looks like with a router but I can't get my head around any technique (I have a router and router table but am always very sus about using the router free-hand).

thanks

Mick

PS: My silky pieces do seem lighter

Cliff Rogers
6th July 2013, 08:51 AM
Better looking that a large zip lock bag. :2tsup:

The large zip lock bag is a little more portable for those who knit on the go. (In the car, train, plane, bus etc)

michael_m
6th July 2013, 09:46 AM
Hi again,

showed it to SWMBO and she knew exactly what it was (she is a keen knitter) so now it is on my 'to do' list, so.......how did you do the 'cutout'? It looks like with a router but I can't get my head around any technique (I have a router and router table but am always very sus about using the router free-hand).

thanks

Mick

PS: My silky pieces do seem lighter

I drew the cutout shape on, then drilled out the end hole with a 10mm bit. The curved line was done with a 5mm bit, just putting holes next to each other along the length. I joined the holes with a dremel tool, and pared away the top of the opening with a chisel, plenty of shaping with 80 grit paper, then through the grits to 600. It took about 1/2 hour all-up (but I think if I make some more, it will be quicker - do it on the lathe before finishing the bottom, don't bother trying to use the dremel, use a needle file instead - most of my extra sanding was trying to get dremel marks out of the inside of the curve).

mick59wests
6th July 2013, 08:53 PM
thanks for that......did you just use do it all while still on the chuck on the lathe (so free hand with an electric drill)? That is the picture I have in my mind.
thanks
Mick

michael_m
6th July 2013, 09:43 PM
I wish I had left it on the chuck! No, I stupidly turned the bottom and finished the bowl before making the hook. I hand drilled it with an electric drill, resting the bowl on some bundled cloth and then clamping it with variously my hand, knees, elbow and chest as I did the rest of the shaping, sanding and finishing.Leaving it in the chuck would have made life a lot easier. :doh:

turnerted
9th July 2013, 05:50 PM
G'day
I would suggest that it would be best to cut the hook out before the bowl is finally shaped. This would get rid of any surface filing marks from shaping the hook.
Ted

BamBam53
10th July 2013, 02:14 PM
I wish I had left it on the chuck! No, I stupidly turned the bottom and finished the bowl before making the hook. I hand drilled it with an electric drill, resting the bowl on some bundled cloth and then clamping it with variously my hand, knees, elbow and chest as I did the rest of the shaping, sanding and finishing.Leaving it in the chuck would have made life a lot easier. :doh:

We live and we learn.

It's a great looking piece and I now know what I am going to do a bit of Banksia I have had lying around the shed for a while.