PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Satisfaction Survey

Grunt
14th May 2005, 12:43 PM
After a recent discussion on which is the better first table saw the TSC-10HB or the Triton WC I thought I'd do a poll on user satisfaction.

Oops, the seconds last Option should read 'This poll is not applicable to me and I'm happy'.

zathras
14th May 2005, 12:51 PM
Since I bought your old Series 2000 workcentre, I felt compelled to vote!

I take it you have got your TSC10HB all sorted by now, it was still in pieces when I picked your triton up. :D

I had to say I'm happy with the triton. Don't get me wrong I'd love a job like yours, but with limited space, the triton at least can be moved out of the way when required.

The series 2000 has made me happy, the Mk3 made me sad with the crapola fence system it had.

E. maculata
14th May 2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry Grunt, How about I lived with a MkIII for years and bypassed a 10" cause they're too small :p

Bruce C.
(I have now offended 45.6% of all forum members) :D

Grunt
14th May 2005, 02:51 PM
I malign the Triton on some occasions but the truth is that I would never have gotten the work centre to be accurate with the crappy Ryobi circular saw that I own. I was faced with a choice of either spending $300+ on a Triton circular saw and getting the hight winder or sell the Triton and get a TSC-10HB. I went for the latter.

Grunt

Grunt
14th May 2005, 02:52 PM
bypassed a 10" cause they're too small

Precicely what Ms. Grunt says.

Gumby
14th May 2005, 02:55 PM
Where's the other option ?

Like : "I've just purchased a TS (not a TSC10 HB), still have my Triton which will be sold and haven't got the TS setup yet so i don't know - but was pretty happy with the Triton."

If you had that option, I could vote. :D

Groggy
14th May 2005, 03:03 PM
I had a Triton, looked at the TSC10 HB, but bought the TC-12.

With that thing I can cut up TSC10 HB's to make Tritons out of them.....

:D :D :D

Grunt
14th May 2005, 03:04 PM
Sorry Gumby, it was very short sighted of me to miss that one. Again my humblest apologies.

Grunt

Sir Stinkalot
14th May 2005, 03:21 PM
Why is there always so much bloody discussion on Triton vs tables saws?

They are two different options for cutting wood .... why is everybody continually trying to justify their purchase in one way or another?

Robert WA
14th May 2005, 03:44 PM
I voted the sad option because I have a TC 12 with an after-market fence and I love it.
Why am I sad?
Because you guys don't have what I have and you are suffering. I am a sympathetic sort of bloke.
Rob

Gumby
14th May 2005, 06:07 PM
:D :D Yeah robert. We big guys with 12" ones should sneer at those with a mere 10" :D

DPB
14th May 2005, 06:56 PM
I voted the sad option because I have a TC 12 with an after-market fence and I love it.
Why am I sad?
Because you guys don't have what I have and you are suffering. I am a sympathetic sort of bloke.
Rob
Me, too, Robert. Haven't look back since owning the TC12.:)

E. maculata
14th May 2005, 07:27 PM
Time for a new Poll......why the 12" saw is more useful than 10" ones :D (now that 45.6% had better respond)and why this is gospel :p

ozwinner
14th May 2005, 07:31 PM
Ive got a 12" one too.:o

I dont use it all the time though, which is a disapointment.:( :eek:

Al :p

Gumby
14th May 2005, 07:33 PM
Ive got a 12" on too.:o

You should learn to use it properly ;)

DanP
14th May 2005, 07:55 PM
With that thing I can cut up TSC10 HB's to make Tritons out of them.....

No you can't. Unless you've learned to convert Cast Iron to tin. :p :p

I said I own the 10HB and happy coz my saw is just a 10HB on 'roids. It was the closest thing to the truth and that's good enough for me. :cool:

Dan

Sturdee
14th May 2005, 08:22 PM
I can't find the option " I've kept my Triton and bought a TSC-10HB and Im happy so I voted under the " Sold my Triton etc....."

I've kept my MK3 as the parts are worth more than the resale value of the unit so I'm stripping it for parts. :D :D :D The cost of the switch units and D handles alone makes it worthwile to strip it. :D :D :D

Peter.

Groggy
14th May 2005, 09:49 PM
Time for a new Poll......why the 12" saw is more useful than 10" ones :D ...Well, first, I do like good tools - I won't kid anyone by trying to say otherwise. But why a 12" good tool over a 10" good tool?

Mass, 3hp vs 2, cooler blade, mass, can cut deeper (admittedly, rarely used), it weilds a mean dado blade, m a s s, very strong trunions - massive in fact, bigger table, it doesn't bog down in any cut (yet, anyway), did I say mass?

Finally, the last tool I wanted to undershoot on - performance wise - was the TS. I've made mistakes with being a cheap b*stard on the little stuff and knew I wouldn't forgive myself if I blew it on a machine I regretted. Please note this is not a negative comment on the TSC10 HB or its equivalent, just my personal view.

ozwinner
14th May 2005, 09:56 PM
did I say mass?

Hail Marry mother of grace, etc. etc. :p

No not yet, off you go.....................Hail Marry mother of grace.

Al :eek: :D

Groggy
14th May 2005, 09:59 PM
Hail Marry mother of grace, etc. etc. :p

No not yet, off you go.....................Hail Marry mother of grace.

Al :eek: :DNo, not that kind of mass, this mass makes a mess kinda mass. Got it fer Christ-mass tho' :D

Your turn if you're a massocist!

ozwinner
14th May 2005, 10:06 PM
No thanks, I went through that cr*p as a kid.:mad:
I was beaten religiously at school....................pun intended.:D
Ive since seen the light, or is that the darkness. :rolleyes:

Al :D

E. maculata
14th May 2005, 10:38 PM
Groggy, nothins wrong with the 250mm jobbies, just razin some of you fellas'
however personally I never considered a 10" as an option for my needs, if thats what I needed I would have stayed with the MkIII, I needed the depth for resawing some red mahogany and grey gum 4x4s' I had in stock, just 2 of the really soft nothern nsw/SE QLD hardwood groups, also the choice of blades is much greater in 305mm (part of my job is fettling these sorta things cept in an industrial configuration) . Then again I'm spoilt as this is just a weekend shed saw, in a former occupation the saws I operated were twin 72" with 400hp motors capable of cutting logs of up to 8' x near 60' in a single billet. :cool:

Groggy
14th May 2005, 11:16 PM
Not me, I mentioned earlier that I bought the TC-12 :)

craigb
14th May 2005, 11:20 PM
however personally I never considered a 10" as an option for my needs, if thats what I needed I would have stayed with the MkIII, I needed the depth for resawing some red mahogany and grey gum 4x4s' I had in stock, just 2 of the really soft nothern nsw/SE QLD hardwood groups, also the choice of blades is much greater in 305mm (part of my job is fettling these sorta things cept in an industrial configuration) . Then again I'm spoilt as this is just a weekend shed saw, in a former occupation the saws I operated were twin 72" with 400hp motors capable of cutting logs of up to 8' x near 60' in a single billet. :cool:

Bruce,

You are possibly the only member that actually uses your saw to it's true capacity.

Few of us have access to 4" thick boards I think.

Hell, the 10HB will cut 3" but it's pretty unlikley that I'll ever have acess to a 3" board.

(I'll probably find now that the rest of you twelve inchers cut four inch boards every day :rolleyes:}

Oh well, flame away :)

Sturdee
14th May 2005, 11:36 PM
Mass, 3hp vs 2, cooler blade, mass, can cut deeper (admittedly, rarely used), it weilds a mean dado blade, m a s s, very strong trunions - massive in fact, bigger table, it doesn't bog down in any cut (yet, anyway), did I say mass?

Groggy, the TSC10hb has a 3 hp motor not a 2hp one.

What mean dado blade do you have as mine is 8 " which I thought was the biggest. Doesn't an 8 " blade used in the 10 " or 12" still only cuts to the same depth. :confused:

Peter.

Groggy
14th May 2005, 11:38 PM
Few of us have access to 4" thick boards I think.

Hell, the 10HB will cut 3" but it's pretty unlikley that I'll ever have acess to a 3" board.

(I'll probably find now that the rest of you twelve inchers cut four inch boards every day :rolleyes:}

Oh well, flame away :)
Well Craig, it's no secret that I don't cut 4" boards all day, in fact I haven't cut a 4" board yet! Mind you, I haven't been in the shop for nearly two months.

I haven't used all the speeds available on my drill press, I rarely use the full 8" cut on my jointer, have only put 12" boards through my thicknesser a few times, I don't use all the power points in the garage at once and only sometimes get the full benefit of my compressor.

I also drive at 100kms in a ute that will do 140 and am known to put only two slices of toast in a four slice toaster.:D

My one saving grace is that I am not one of those people that drives a four wheel drive that never leaves the suburbs. :p

Sturdee
14th May 2005, 11:45 PM
My one saving grace is that I am not one of those people that drives a four wheel drive that never leaves the suburbs. :p

That makes up for all the other things you haven't done. :D

Peter.

Groggy
14th May 2005, 11:55 PM
Groggy, the TSC10hb has a 3 hp motor not a 2hp one.

What mean dado blade do you have as mine is 8 " which I thought was the biggest. Doesn't an 8 " blade used in the 10 " or 12" still only cuts to the same depth. :confused: Peter, I take your point about the TSC10 being a 3hp, but I was comparing a 12" saw to a 10", not necessarily the TC-12 to the TSC10 HB, I should have made myself clearer. When I was researching saws I looked at quite a few and they varied from 1.5hp to 3hp.

The reference to the dado blade was meant to indicate that you can hog out a huge amount of material without it slowing down at all. (My dado blade is an 8" also, and you are right, bigger dado blades would be a waste for 99.9% of work)

craigb
14th May 2005, 11:56 PM

Me either. :rolleyes:

E. maculata
15th May 2005, 09:47 AM
Not me, I mentioned earlier that I bought the TC-12 :)
Sorry Groggy I plain old misinterpreted where you where coming from
:o
Craig, Some of the best timber (species wise) was cut into 4x4 for fences, and many of these fences are now being replaced as the posts rot off at the groundline, probably shoulda put that in the thread from last week on timber acquisition, but I reckon I'm not qualified to give advice on that issue, timber comes too easy to me :cool:

Island Nomad
15th May 2005, 09:05 PM
I've got a Delta 10" Unisaw with sliding table, Beisermeyer fence and overhead guard, couldn't be more happy with it. I think that the TSC10 HB is a copy of it.

Tritons and GMC's are home handyman quality.

DanP
15th May 2005, 09:48 PM
Now dem's fightin words :eek: :eek:

Waldo
15th May 2005, 11:00 PM
G'day,

Haven't got a TSC-10HB yet, so I'm sad :( , that said by the time I get there it might be a 12 that I get instead. :)

Bruce Micheal
16th May 2005, 02:05 PM
Why is there always so much bloody discussion on Triton vs tables saws?

They are two different options for cutting wood .... why is everybody continually trying to justify their purchase in one way or another?

I don't understand? :confused:
Why question two totally different methods?
I have a mate (the only one I have) who has a Mark111 with the Triton circular saw attached.
He cannot get the accurate cuts that I can on my cheap CT-250!

Wongo
16th May 2005, 02:32 PM
Ive got a 12" one too.:o

Al mate, you need the Height Winder and Stabilising Bracket.