PDA

View Full Version : Turn a Bowl in Under 10 Minutes?

brendan stemp
9th July 2013, 08:22 PM
That was the challenge I set myself on the weekend. Watch this The 10 Minute Bowl - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxykdOzuB7o&feature=player_detailpage) to see if I did it.

ian thorn
9th July 2013, 09:37 PM
Very nice bowl in under 10 mins Brendan thanks for putting the video up.

Ian

SNAFU11
10th July 2013, 06:26 AM
Nice job there Brendan....The Camphor Laurel is great timber....cheers Mick!!!

delbs
10th July 2013, 09:34 AM
Thats impressive Brendan. You could stock up someone's kitchen in a day at that rate. :)

turnerted
10th July 2013, 05:19 PM
Well done Brendan. You were breathing a bit hard at the finish there.
Ted

pommyphil
10th July 2013, 06:04 PM
Great fun Brendan, Did I hear "80 grit" :oo: .....:D ......Phil

mick59wests
11th July 2013, 10:37 PM
Brendan,

as always, great stuff. I am always looking forward to anything you do. To be honest, you are an inspiration

Mick

brendan stemp
14th July 2013, 11:00 AM
Great fun Brendan, Did I hear "80 grit" :oo: .....:D ......Phil

Yep, you heard right Phil, I did use 80 grit. Love the stuff. In fact that's not the coarsest I have;Tim Skilton has said I am his best customer for 40 grit sanding discs.:D

brendan stemp
14th July 2013, 11:02 AM
Brendan,

as always, great stuff. I am always looking forward to anything you do. To be honest, you are an inspiration

Mick

Thanks Mick, a very generous sentiment but I do hope that my videos can help and inspire woodturners. That's why I do them.

brendan stemp
14th July 2013, 11:04 AM
Well done Brendan. You were breathing a bit hard at the finish there.
Ted
Thanks Ted. Yep, the sound effects were interesting towards the end. I'd like to blame it on the dust.

brendan stemp
14th July 2013, 11:07 AM
Nice job there Brendan....The Camphor Laurel is great timber....cheers Mick!!!

And it was out of the firewood heap too. I had so much of it that some was just dumped in a corner for burning. But having seen how it finishes I started rescueing some of the bigger pieces. Not a lot of colour but some nice figure.

DaveTTC
16th July 2013, 09:18 PM
that was good and inspirational

You started to mention why you switch to a power sander for the inside but got distracted by you paper coming off. I'm interested to know ....

I knew another turner from Dimboola, Max Chequer, do you know him by anychance?

brendan stemp
18th July 2013, 12:05 PM
Here's the bowl I turned for the YouTube video. I have now finished it and will be posting it to Ireland soon. It was made from camphor laurel, 200mm diam, sanded to 320 and sprayed with lacquer.

orificiam
18th July 2013, 01:50 PM
Well done Brendan, watched the video and found it very instructive.
Nice gesture on your part as well to send it to Ireland, I'm sure it will be appreciated.:2tsup:

Cheers Tony.:)

DaveTTC
18th July 2013, 02:09 PM
Looks great, enjoyed the video too

vtbao
19th July 2013, 01:32 PM
:2tsup: great for under 10 mins. Have you got anymore to give away? :D

Tim the Timber Turner
22nd July 2013, 08:25 PM
Brendan I recon you cheated a bit.

It had a hole in the back when you started.

Cheers

Your South Aussie mate Tim.:)

Mobyturns
24th July 2013, 09:29 AM
Nice one Brendan, 10 min for aussie hardwoods is pretty good! That dust seemed to be getting the better of you though ;-)

pommyphil
24th July 2013, 05:41 PM
Like so many things that " Aussie hardwood " is , I think, Chinese. :rolleyes: :D Phil

brendan stemp
24th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Brendan I recon you cheated a bit.

It had a hole in the back when you started.

Cheers

Your South Aussie mate Tim.:)

Where's the UNLIKE button when you need one.

With mates like you......!

Good to catch up at SATurn. Had a great time.

Timless Timber
24th July 2013, 10:35 PM
I reckon if you took out the center of that bowl with an arbortech pro wood carving chisel on a 4 inch grinder... you could make it in under 5 minutes! :D

Jus sayin - remember to credit me when you post the U tube Vid please! :wink:

brendan stemp
25th July 2013, 09:24 AM
I reckon if you took out the center of that bowl with an arbortech pro wood carving chisel on a 4 inch grinder... you could make it in under 5 minutes! :D

Jus sayin - remember to credit me when you post the U tube Vid please! :wink:

That challenge is all yours:D

tea lady
25th July 2013, 10:39 AM

Jus sayin - remember to credit me when you post the U tube Vid please! :wink:It might be a little more..... how you say....... :think: ... free form?

Doing it in Camphour is cheating a little :P But well done Brendon. :cool:

brendan stemp
25th July 2013, 10:58 AM
Doing it in Camphour is cheating a little :P But well done Brendon. :cool:

I aint silly:D

tea lady
25th July 2013, 12:23 PM
I aint silly:DSo how long in Buloak? :D

Timless Timber
25th July 2013, 01:17 PM
That challenge is all yours:D

Trust me - I am from the government, and I'm here to help you! :wink: :D

Would I lie to you? :p

Works a treat outboard turning lip over bowls in hardwoods with wild grain like Jarrah burl....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/Timber%20work/JarrahBurlDeepPlatter.jpg

Just have to make sure you use a rest to support the grinder, don't turn the bowl too fast, and ensure the direction of cut of the grinder wheel tungsten teeth is opposite to the direction of turn of the bowl... so they work into each other and cut and don't run away and just use small movements slowly....staying in the right half of the bowl and let the grinder and cutters do the work as the lathe turns your bowl for you.

Finnish it up the usual way...

Never say never... :wink:

Course paying up your health & life insurance first, clearing everyone out the way - is always a good idea before you start! :U

DaveTTC
25th July 2013, 01:36 PM

:U

Only if your lips are moving or if you put something in writing lol ;)

nice work on the burl btw

Timless Timber
25th July 2013, 02:21 PM
:wink:

Thanks! :2tsup:

robo hippy
26th July 2013, 06:47 AM
Interesting. I first thought 'what, it takes him that long to turn out a bowl that size?' Heck, I can do it under 5 minutes. Then you went and sanded it. I do prefer very wet wood as I like them to warp a lot, and mine have no detail in or on them.

Also interesting was the sanding. I have never used an inertial sander. Also, I prefer the slow speed sanding, very slow grinder/drill speeds, and very slow lathe speeds, even if my dry bowls were not warped. The abrasives just cut better and more efficiently. I think it is because at slow speeds, the abrasives get better traction and have a chance to dig in and cut better than at higher speeds.

robo hippy

brendan stemp
26th July 2013, 09:24 AM

Works a treat outboard turning lip over bowls in hardwoods with wild grain like Jarrah burl....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/Timber%20work/JarrahBurlDeepPlatter.jpg

Just have to make sure you use a rest to support the grinder, don't turn the bowl too fast, and ensure the direction of cut of the grinder wheel tungsten teeth is opposite to the direction of turn of the bowl... so they work into each other and cut and don't run away and just use small movements slowly....staying in the right half of the bowl and let the grinder and cutters do the work as the lathe turns your bowl for you.

Finnish it up the usual way...

Never say never... :wink:

Course paying up your health & life insurance first, clearing everyone out the way - is always a good idea before you start! :U

Wow, so you actually do do that:o Nice job, very nice. I think I will store that idea for another time. I must admit I have used a saburr disc to do some rough shaping but the bowl was 80% shaped by the time I introduced it.

brendan stemp
26th July 2013, 09:29 AM
Interesting. I first thought 'what, it takes him that long to turn out a bowl that size?' Heck, I can do it under 5 minutes. Then you went and sanded it. I do prefer very wet wood as I like them to warp a lot, and mine have no detail in or on them.

Also interesting was the sanding. I have never used an inertial sander. Also, I prefer the slow speed sanding, very slow grinder/drill speeds, and very slow lathe speeds, even if my dry bowls were not warped. The abrasives just cut better and more efficiently. I think it is because at slow speeds, the abrasives get better traction and have a chance to dig in and cut better than at higher speeds.

robo hippy
Interesting points you make about sanding speed RH. I agree. I like using the inertia sander as much as possible because I think it is the best way to sand. As long as you don't apply a lot of pressure to it you can sand efficiently at high speeds because the pad is rotating with the wood.