PDA

View Full Version : Jointers - Jet JJ-6CSX

woodsie50
28th September 2002, 10:44 PM
Looking at buying Jet JJ-6CSX jointer. Would like some feedback from someone who has used it.
I have compared it to Carbatec's, CTJ-196 and CTJ-150. To me it looks like a better built jointer.

Thank you

------------------

George
2nd October 2002, 12:52 PM
I own the Jet model you mention. I bought it about 3 years ago and haven't used it a huge amount. It is well built and solid. The tables can be adjusted easily. It certanly does what I need it to. No complaints.
George

woodsie50
4th October 2002, 04:19 PM
It does look like a well built machine, and I agree all the contols seem to move quite freely.

Mick4412
4th October 2002, 07:38 PM
Woodsie,
A point which may be a useful consideration.
I have a Carba-tec CTJ-350. Leaving aside that this model is 8", cf 6", what I find most important is the Table length.
This machine's table is 1943mm. My limited experience tells me that the extra table length is worth the money
Mick

DarrylF
4th October 2002, 08:28 PM
I like Jet a lot as a rule, but the CTJ-196 is a lot cheaper ($629 at the moment), and seems a good machine. It's sold in the US as the Delta Deluxe 6", and in that badging seems to get very good reviews. Only negative I've seen is the rack mechanism for the fence pokes out the back a fair way.

You might want to take a look at http://www.forums.woodnet.net and do a search - lots of people who have both.

I'm not convinced yet that the extra 400mm of bed length is worth paying double the price for - but hey, I've been wrong before http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DarrylF (edited 04 October 2002).]

Mick4412
4th October 2002, 09:03 PM
Daryll
You have missed my point completely.
I am only saying that it is worthwhile paying extra for additional table length.
eg CTJ-196 has 1168mm table - costs $749
cf CTJ-150 with 1410mm table costs $995.
Is extra $250 worth it - in my opinion , yes.
My CTJ-350 costs $1595 - yes, twice the price, but as a machine, has more than just extra table length.
Woodsie , I stil advise you to think about table length

DarrylF
4th October 2002, 10:48 PM
Depends on the difference in price I guess - all 3 models from Carbatec are on special at the moment (see the current Wood Review). If I remember correctly the Jet is around $900 odd. The CTJ-350 is $1,289 at the moment - so for $300 or so extra over the Jet you get 8" width & the extra table length - not much extra and probably worthwhile, assuming the build quality is as good.

The CTJ-196 is $629 right now, which is a very nice price. The CTJ-150 is $789 at the moment - so the difference is even smaller, and as you say might well be worthwhile.

Just depends on how much extra money you want to/can pay for the extra features. Also depends on how much space you've got to spare. Personally I'd be devoting a big chunk of my workshop to put in an 8" jointer - and as much as I love my hobby, it's still a hobby, and spending $1,289 on a jointer is real tough to justify. $789 is a lot easier to swallow, and half a metre less space taken up is nice too.

This is why it usually takes me forever to make a decision on a new machine - lots and lots of options to weigh up http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

woodsie50
23rd October 2002, 02:19 PM
Just back from holidays

Thanks for all the advice.

woodsie

Little Festo
24th October 2002, 09:59 AM
I have just bought a Carba-tec CTJ-150. The build seems to be quite good, certainly solid. Assembly was pretty straight forward and the machine runs with little vibration, planes nice and smooth.

The power swich is a bit iffy. It's a flip type and seems to overextend and cut out but is still useable but annoying. The outfeed table height adjuster is not quite right either, so I'll have to have a look at that also, dosen't raise up and down smoothly. Once set up it squares up the timber nicely. I used the rabbiting feature also.

Must say I'm impressed with carba-tecs sales service. I ordered it in Thursday and it was delivered on Monday, in Darwin.

All the Best - Peter