PDA

View Full Version : Sorby spindle master chisels

Bluegum
20th July 2013, 12:45 PM
Just wondering what the opinion was on the Sorby spindle master chisel is. Is it worth buying? I had a look at it on the web the other day and it looks ok. I was after some feed back from anyone that may own one or used one.

robo hippy
20th July 2013, 04:50 PM
I bought a set years ago. Not bad for opening paint cans. Never could get them to work like the Sorby Demonstrator did. They are too thin, and just don't feel right in my big paws.

robo hippy

Pat
20th July 2013, 06:32 PM
I had one, worked ok for small soft stuff only. I ended up giving it away as a gag gift to another turner.

Mobyturns
20th July 2013, 11:06 PM
Great tools for some spindle applications & I agree with the soft woods comment above. They don't like hard abrasive timbers. A little more forgiving than a skew, but then I had learned to use the skew first. I prefer the original 1/2" with the longer fingernail profile - fantastic for difficult soft woods like crapiarta (as thge kiwis call it).

Ross
21st July 2013, 09:00 AM
I have the Hamlet version and find it great. For spindle work I now only use a German spindle gouge for roughing and the spindlemaster for the rest of the job.

Ross

Bluegum
21st July 2013, 06:16 PM
I bought a set years ago. Not bad for opening paint cans. Never could get them to work like the Sorby Demonstrator did. They are too thin, and just don't feel right in my big paws.

robo hippy

Thanks for the replies and robo I agree as demonstrators tend to make some things sing. I saw the clip on the spindle master I think on you tube and it looked OK. Hence my question about what people thought of them. I was tempted to buy one but not now. I will need to master spindles with the tools I own.

artme
21st July 2013, 06:47 PM
I have the Hamlet version - Sorenson Spindle tool.
It's OK but I would now spend the money elsewhere.

Another tool not worth the spend is an oval skew.

RETIRED
21st July 2013, 06:52 PM
Too true.

issatree
21st July 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi All,
What is wrong with the Aussie P&N Gouges.
I have a the 10 - 12 - 16mm. Gouges, & although I'm better with a Skew, I think the P&N are quite OK.
I'm on my 2nd. 10mm - 12mm. & I can't fault them.
They do all I want to do.
My 2sense worth.