PDA

View Full Version : Where to put cable in lamp?

bassmansimon
21st July 2013, 12:05 AM
I purchased some lamp bits from my local lighting store today, with a view to creating some bedside lamps.

For those that have done this before, how do you deal with the power cable coming out the base? I am looking to create a simple classic vase shape lamp, so I do not want to add feet to the base and lift the main section above the table surface in order to get rid of the cable.

I am wondering - I could either do a recess in the base of the lamp (this would help to turn the lamp anyway) and then cut a small groove for the cable (red example in diagram), or I could cut a hole on an angle in the side of the lamp blank sothat it exits through the side not the base (blue example in diagram).

What do people recommend, and if curing a recess in the base for the cable, what methods? I have a Dremel but never used it. If the drilling to exit out the side, I presume this is easier to do before turning?
Thanks, Simon.

China
21st July 2013, 01:16 AM
You could do either If I were doing it I would cut a channel/ groove in the base it would be more proffesional, This is how I do my Lamps

I use a laminate trimmer with straight cutter to produce the channel

DavidG
21st July 2013, 01:28 AM
DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Wood Working Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.

WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk

turnerted
21st July 2013, 05:51 PM
I usually cut a tennon on the top end. Mount that in the chuck,then bore a recess with a forstner bit in the bottom and while still on the chuck, bore your hole for the wire about halfway.Now mount in the recess and bore through to meet the hole from the top.Turn your lamp between centers.Before sanding, bore a hole in from the side to meet the central hole.It's best if this hole is angled up slightly, but does not need to be to the extent shown in your diagram. When you feed the wire in, you will probably need to poke something up the hole from the bottom to ease the wire round the corner.I have at times put a plug in the hole in the bottom but don't do this now as it would make it virtually impossible if someone wanted to change the wire.
I have also done it without boring a hole all the way through and just drilled in from the side and hope to hit the central hole .If doing it this way, the hole needs to be at more of an angle.
Hope this helps.
Ted