PDA

View Full Version : Tool Sharpening!!

surge82
27th July 2013, 06:09 PM
Hello all!
I am very new to turning wood, and I went to the Sydney timber and working with wood show today and bought a new set of GPW tools, they said they have to be sharpened before use, as I don't want to mess up the tools I am wondering if there is a sharpening service or someone that would sharpen them for me for the first time then I would "try" maintain the grind, any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks Sergio :)

pommyphil
27th July 2013, 06:24 PM
The short answer to the sharpening service is " no " If you mention your suburb one of the Sydney people will point you to a club or mens shed for instruction.Turning tools have to be sharpened very frequently so you must learn. Search this forum and check Utube.
Lots of jigs and methods out there.

Enjoy yourself, and stay sharp. Phil

dai sensei
27th July 2013, 06:41 PM
There should have been someone doing demo's of sharpening at the show. Try your local turning club, someone should be able to help you out, although it is Sydney :rolleyes::U:U:U

Brett Hammond
28th July 2013, 07:54 PM
If you are near Mortdale will put edge on them and give advice how to grind.

Brett

delbs
28th July 2013, 09:10 PM
For those without a grinder does anyone do it by hand? Sharpen turning tools that is :)

Colin62
29th July 2013, 12:48 AM
For those without a grinder does anyone do it by hand? Sharpen turning tools that is :)

I've been doing it by hand for a few years now. I've been using DMT diamond plates (the small ones), but I've found it too time consuming if you're doing more than very occasional turning...

Paul39
29th July 2013, 10:02 AM

Skews are easy, a few strokes on each side on used sandpaper held on a flat surface. Hold bevel flat and pull away from the point.

Spindle gouges, the same but twisting the tool and pulling away from the point, then fold sandpaper around a piece of cardboard and gently hone off any burr on the inside.

Square end scrapers, hold tip flat against sandpaper and pull away from tip. Turn over and lay top flat and one or two gentle pulling strokes.

Curved end scrapers, as above but swinging tool.

Bowl gouges, Same as spindle gouges. If you are doing a fingernail / Irish grind, It would work better to put the gouge in a vise and use a stone or sandpaper glued to a board.

Much better to use a grinder and jigs.

The 1970s Peter Child book The Craftsman Woodturner has a section of hand sharpening. The later edition may not.

If you have a chuck you can turn a flat plate to be grabbed in it and glue a piece of 120 grit sand paper on the front. Same for a face plate which can sometimes go on the outboard end.

If you are at all serious about turning you need a decent grinder. If you do bowls and use a bowl gouge, jigs make life much easier.

A belt or disc sander will do as well as a grinder.

I save my diamond sharpening plate for my carbide bits. A grindstone or sandpaper does the high speed steel just fine.

delbs
29th July 2013, 12:23 PM
Skews are easy, a few strokes on each side on used sandpaper held on a flat surface. Hold bevel flat and pull away from the point.

Spindle gouges, the same but twisting the tool and pulling away from the point, then fold sandpaper around a piece of cardboard and gently hone off any burr on the inside.

Square end scrapers, hold tip flat against sandpaper and pull away from tip. Turn over and lay top flat and one or two gentle pulling strokes.

Curved end scrapers, as above but swinging tool.

Bowl gouges, Same as spindle gouges. If you are doing a fingernail / Irish grind, It would work better to put the gouge in a vise and use a stone or sandpaper glued to a board.

Much better to use a grinder and jigs.

The 1970s Peter Child book The Craftsman Woodturner has a section of hand sharpening. The later edition may not.

If you have a chuck you can turn a flat plate to be grabbed in it and glue a piece of 120 grit sand paper on the front. Same for a face plate which can sometimes go on the outboard end.

If you are at all serious about turning you need a decent grinder. If you do bowls and use a bowl gouge, jigs make life much easier.

A belt or disc sander will do as well as a grinder.

I save my diamond sharpening plate for my carbide bits. A grindstone or sandpaper does the high speed steel just fine.

Thanks Paul, yeah i am serious about it and i do intend on getting a wetstone grinder absolutely. I just wanted to check if people still sharpen their turning tools by hand at all ,obviously a grinder with jigs is the way to go and a lot quicker.

Plan on getting the Scheppach Tiger 2500 grinder with a Tormek accessory id say.

surge82
30th July 2013, 09:00 AM
If you are near Mortdale will put edge on them and give advice how to grind.

Brett

hey Brett im just in Engadine, not too far away if you could do that it would be fantastic!!
when would you be free to do this?

mick59wests
30th July 2013, 09:52 AM
I have the Scheppach 2500 and Tormek turning accessories and this works well. I would have preferred the Tormek sharpening system but the cost difference was very high
cheers
Mick

delbs
30th July 2013, 10:33 AM
I have the Scheppach 2500 and Tormek turning accessories and this works well. I would have preferred the Tormek sharpening system but the cost difference was very high
cheers
Mick

Great to hear. That's my plan also. The extra $500 roughly to get just the tormek system by itself is a lot. That could buy a really nice set of chisels or timber etc etc. I'll pickup the scheppach shortly

Brett Hammond
30th July 2013, 04:27 PM
I'm home by 3pm most week days. Give me a call on 0407 378 611 rather than keep posting here.

Brett

turnerted
30th July 2013, 04:58 PM
Surge82
I suggest you Google up Sydney Woodturners Guild and there you will find a couple of branches not far from you. Pick the closest and go along and visit. You will get all the advice you need and save yourself a heap of learning time.
Ted

NeilS
30th July 2013, 07:57 PM

+1

surge82
30th July 2013, 10:21 PM
I'm home by 3pm most week days. Give me a call on 0407 378 611 (tel:0407 378 611) rather than keep posting here.

Brett

Hey mate thanks for today ! I really appreciate all the tips on sharpening and for the sharpening, all the turning advice, and all the pen blanks!!!!!

Thanks

sergio!!

Brett Hammond
31st July 2013, 04:15 PM
Sergio

Not a problem. Don't forget to go to Oyster Bay woodturners shed. They will be more than happy to show you the basics of turning and sharpening tools.

Brett