PDA

View Full Version : Pestle

cjvs
28th July 2013, 08:32 PM
Hi there,
in January myhouse burned in Dunalley bushfire; one of the most missed items is my pestlemade from an old olive tree. I'm half French, where food and traditions in preparationare deeply rooted.
Is there anychance someone there can replicate one?

Please findattached images with measurements of one I had... I'll be waiting with ananticipation.

I asked two wood-turnersat the Salamanca Market in Hobart, one send an email with "thank you forthe design", and the other had his Chihuahua attacked by the possum... itwas 6 month ago. Can someone help? I'll pay of course.
cheers,
cj

Maurizio1955
28th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Hi I can make you one in African olive. I might have to glue two slabs to get the height of the mortar but I can do that.
Are you interested?
Cheers
Maurizio

cjvs
6th August 2013, 04:11 PM
Hi Maurizio,

and thank you. It is a small pestle, still if you have to glue two pieces... I know nothing about it:)
Just hope that glue would not leak into the food, or it would not split into two? :)
Otherwise yes, I'm interested.
Kind regards,
christopher

Maurizio1955
6th August 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi Christophe,
Do you really want the Mortar and pestle in Olive wood?
What if I make it with a solid and hard block of Jarrah?
It would certainly be a more suitable type of wood for that purpose.
Olive is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) wood in Europe, but here we have much harder timber.
Anyhow, it's up to you.
Confimr the wood and the measurements and I will give you a price.

cjvs
6th August 2013, 04:56 PM
No, just said that one I had was made from the olive Tree.
Only measurements I have are on the images.
If I'm not happy I give it to someone for Christmas;)

coffenup
6th August 2013, 10:09 PM
nice job
is the olive not to soft for the mortar & pistle
regards michel

cjvs
14th August 2013, 04:31 PM
It's not for grinding black pepper, however chilies, garlic, and all fresh herbs are fine; just what you use every day in the kitchen?
Still not sure if I’m getting one?

cjvs
15th September 2013, 08:25 PM
Hi Christophe,
Do you really want the Mortar and pestle in Olive wood?
What if I make it with a solid and hard block of Jarrah?
It would certainly be a more suitable type of wood for that purpose.
Olive is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) wood in Europe, but here we have much harder timber.
Anyhow, it's up to you.
Confimr the wood and the measurements and I will give you a price.

it was 6 weeks ago... am I getting one?
regards,
cjvs

Rod Gilbert
16th September 2013, 08:30 PM
Hi do you still need a pestle if so I would be glad to turn you one could you please send me details of where to send it .
Regards Rod.

cjvs
16th September 2013, 08:53 PM
absolutely!
I sent contact details by private email.
Kind Regards,
cj

Rod Gilbert
27th September 2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Cj,
I have had a couple of pieces of timber that I thought would do for your mortar and pestle but they had checks that went in to far to be any good for what we want, but I now have a piece in the lathe that will be great for what we want so I will get to it over the weekend and hope to have it done in the next few day's as soon as it's ready I will send it off to you. Are the sizes in the photos ok for you it appears to be about 120mm inside and about 80mm deep will that suit you if not can you give me the sizes that would suit you. The blank I have I can get a bit more out of if necessary please let me know and I will get it done. The piece I have is narrow leaf Iornbark very tight grain and solid.( and I suppose the rest of you lot want photos.)
Regards Rod.

cjvs
27th September 2013, 09:45 PM
Dimensions you have are from the mortar I'm using back in France; it'sgreat for 2-4 people dinner, so it's "big enough" :)
However most important is "the look", and a feel - I'm a visualperson.. esthetics are very important in everyday life. If you decide thatslightly bigger is better, it's your decision...I'll learn to love whatever youmake :)<o:p></o:p>
Regards,
Christopher

Hermit
28th September 2013, 12:57 PM
( and I suppose the rest of you lot want photos.)
Regards Rod.

Yes please.

Rod Gilbert
28th September 2013, 02:17 PM
Here are a few photos of the start of the mortar.
Regards Rod.

cjvs
28th September 2013, 03:34 PM
If possible, keepthe proportions of the original one please? <o:p></o:p>
I think I’mwhinging, sorry L<o:p></o:p>

Rod Gilbert
28th September 2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Christopher,
How does this look for you.
regards Rod.

cjvs
28th September 2013, 07:19 PM
Looks almosttoo prettyJ can you keep that “V” shape a little? Likean upside-down bell? That look of being made by an armature (uneven edges)J But if too much trouble, don’t even thinkabout it. When one lives with something almost whole life then one’s opinion isnever objectiveJ Thank you again for the effort.<o:p></o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
cj

Rod Gilbert
28th September 2013, 07:48 PM
Yes I left a bit of meat to work with so I can get a bit more shape in to it if that is what you want,that's why I asked to start with so we get what you want you're the one who has to live with it. The wavey edge is most likely due to being natural edge of the outside of the round of the log I can replicate that if that's what you want my only concern is to get this to be how you want it (a bit difficult from a distance) so I am glad of you're input.
Regard's Rod.

cjvs
28th September 2013, 08:11 PM
You are anartist, so asking you to “copy” someone else’s work is rude to start with. Howeverthe closer you get to an original one the more happy I’ll be J <o:p></o:p>
Every time,back in France, when I have the old one in my hands is like …holding my wife inmy arms like she was 20 againJ
On the other hand it is always nice to putyour hands on something new?
cj

Rod Gilbert
29th September 2013, 12:08 PM
Hi Christopher,
I have changed the shape and the edge is this more to you're liking.
Regards Rod.

cjvs
29th September 2013, 01:26 PM
You are making me excited J Might be bed for my heart ;) ...To die happy...;)
Thanks,
cj

rsser
29th September 2013, 03:05 PM
V. generous of you Rod.

The timber should do the job.

Bottom of pestle should be just a little tighter in radius than mortar bottom.

Rod Gilbert
30th September 2013, 02:38 PM
Hi Christopher,
Hope you like the finished article I will get in the post for you in the next couple of days when I next go to town. I have just given it a coat of olive oil hope you enjoy using it for many years to come.
Regards Rod.

cjvs
30th September 2013, 07:56 PM
I'm on the boat to Melbourne, shopping for a new house.
It looks sooooooooooooooo, just want to start cooking!!!!!
I know that you are in Qld. One day I might cook something for you?
Thanks
cj

Rod Gilbert
3rd October 2013, 02:42 PM
Hi Christopher,
I posted the mortar and pestle of Wednesday morning so hopefully Australia post will get it to you soon.
Regards Rod.

issatree
3rd October 2013, 06:38 PM
Hi All,
Please excuse me for this.
I have never used Red Gum or Jarrah as they tend to Bleed pink into the Food.
The Olive wood have been the one for me.
Not the greatest idea of using Olive Oil as it will go Rancid after awhile.
Canola is about the worst.
Neils' Ubeaut Food Safe Oil wood have been a better choice, also Grapeseed is not bad either.
What's done is done. Just trying to help.
It was still a nice job, & I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Hermit
3rd October 2013, 06:48 PM
What's done is done. Just trying to help.

No, it would have been helping if it was mentioned in time to prevent these problems. Now it's just knocking. (Think how Rod must now feel.)

Rod Gilbert
3rd October 2013, 08:22 PM
Cheers Hermit,
Why do I feel the need to defend myself well here we go my choice of the narrow leaf iron bark was because it was very old growth very dry and I have never had any trouble with it bleeding into anything I realize having only been in the cabinet making furniture industry for 40 years my knowledge is limited. My use of olive oil which I used to lubricate the 1000 grit wet and dry sand that I finished these items with before polishing the remaining residue off to provide a basic surface to which Christopher will build on over the years with the natural oils of what ever he grinds in it. Yes soaking it in olive oil and leaving it unused it would go off but with constant use it will benefit from the absorption of the natural oils from the vegetable matter it will last for many years and hopefully give great service to him.
Regards Rod.

issatree
3rd October 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi All,
Like I thought I had said, I was not criticizing what was done, & as I said I was just trying to help.
Regarding the R/G & J Bleeding, that is a fact.
A chap made a rather large Rolling Pin, made the pastry go pink. True Story.

cjvs
4th October 2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks Rod,
I'll be back in Hobart probably on Tuesday, so it will be waiting for me:)
Olive oil will be added to the "things" I'll be grinding, so discussion about what's good or not looks like old woman bittering, but...
I will let you all know how it works, if it bleeds or not; I have no knowledge of wood, I knew that the old ones were made from old (OLD) olive trees.
Cannot wait to have it in my hands TBC.
cj<o:p></o>

rsser
4th October 2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, Olive oil as a final finish wouldn't be my choice either but for a functional piece it'll get wiped down after each use and if cjvs is doing pesto in the traditional manner it's going to get lashings of olive and pine nut oil anyway.

I'm not a fan of wood for M&Ps (but have made one for the fun of it) and use Asian grocer granite jobs instead. There's less cross-contamination of flavours.

Rod's done a great job and I applaud his generosity. It's a great way of welcoming a newcomer to our country.

cjvs
9th October 2013, 02:10 PM
Hardly a "newcomer", still a nice thought.
BEAUTIFUL, strong fragrance coming from the wood but I guess all the "new things" will have that.
I'll let you know how it behaves, I would expect some bleeding in the beginning form any wood; for now BIG thank you,
Regards,

Rod Gilbert
9th October 2013, 05:35 PM
Cheers Christopher,
Enjoy. Hopefully we will get to Tassie again one day and you can cook us that meal all the best.
Regards Rod.

cjvs
1st January 2014, 02:45 PM
"All good", thanks again.
Graeme Young from Wood on Salamnca and Adrian Hunt Wood Turner are the guys who "promised", took the photos with details...said "thanks for the design" and never lift their fingers:(
Just in case one of you gets involved in "business" with them.

You have no idea how small things in hard times lift one's spirit...
Have roof, but no walls yet;
cheers,
cj