PDA

View Full Version : Kelton McNaughton bowl saver

espo
1st August 2013, 08:05 PM
Hi

I want to core large dry burls using the Kelton McNaughton bowl saver. Are there any DVDs anyone can recommend.

cheers

Ross

WOODbTURNER
1st August 2013, 09:30 PM
Mike Mahoney sells a DVD on the use of the McNaughton Centre saver. Also look up the Dale Bonertz demo on Youtube.

robo hippy
2nd August 2013, 02:22 PM
I will have mine up on You Tube shortly. Best advice, start on smaller pieces, 10 to 12 inch diameter, and medium soft/hard woods. Save the bigger pieces for when you are experienced. The harder the wood, the more difficult to core, and well to turn as well. Dale's video is good as well.

robo hippy

cava
2nd August 2013, 03:59 PM
I will have mine up on You Tube shortly. Best advice, start on smaller pieces, 10 to 12 inch diameter, and medium soft/hard woods. Save the bigger pieces for when you are experienced. The harder the wood, the more difficult to core, and well to turn as well. Dale's video is good as well.

robo hippy

I am interested as well. Can you supply a link when it has been uploaded?

Thanks

Willy Nelson
2nd August 2013, 09:50 PM
Gents
In my opinion, hard dry burls will kill a bowl saver. I reckon bowlsavers are really only good for soft dry timbers, or wet Aussie timbers.

Willy
Jarrahland

NeilS
3rd August 2013, 04:15 PM
Gents
In my opinion, hard dry burls will kill a bowl saver. I reckon bowlsavers are really only good for soft dry timbers, or wet Aussie timbers.

+1

and, +1 on Robo Hippy's Coring DVD. I found it very useful when I began coring.

Woodturnerjosh
3rd August 2013, 05:15 PM
I've cored wet burls (mallee) with my Kelton, even they were a struggle, but I'd be surprised if it handles dry ones well.

mkypenturner
3rd August 2013, 07:32 PM

robo hippy

I am interested as well. Can you supply a link when it has been uploaded?

Thanks
yes please that would be good for all of us oh and thanks

robo hippy
4th August 2013, 05:47 AM
I hope to have it up on You Tube by the end of next week. Waiting on the camera guy to get it ready.

Really hard woods can be cored on the McNaughton, but the harder it is, the more 'professional' your touch has to be. This means very light cuts, and I do like the cutter to be slightly above center line, just like when using a bowl scraper.

robo hippy

NeilS
10th August 2013, 11:32 AM
I have unearthed my copy of RH's DVD on using the McNaughton bowl corer.

As he is going to make the contents available free online, I expect he won't mind a plastic copy of it circulating among forum members?

The advantage of the plastic version is that it won't kill your download quota if you run it multiple times, as I have.

Anyone like to borrow it?

I think Hughie indicated he was interested some time ago, so if still interested he gets first go.

robo hippy
10th August 2013, 11:40 AM
No problem with that. I did find out that it doesn't play well on all computer video programs. Some not at all, and others you have to go to media player, and it comes up, but no chapter list by names. Should have it up soon.

robo hippy

NeilS
18th December 2013, 09:49 AM
I will have mine up on You Tube shortly.

Here it is:

Bowl Coring with the McNaughton by Reed Gray aka robo hippy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk-Z-scS84w)

It's 1hr 8mins long, but I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about getting or just starting out with the Kelton/McNaughton coring rig.

Old Croc
19th December 2013, 10:21 PM
While this thread is still open, i will be selling my Kelton set sometime around March 14 if anyone wants one. Only selling as my lathe is homemade and is all steel and there is too much flexing of the tool post for the Kelton tools. I was thinking of an upgrade to a cast iron lathe, but just cant justify the expense at present.
Rgds,
Crocy.

NeilS
20th December 2013, 08:45 AM
While this thread is still open, i will be selling my Kelton set sometime around March 14 if anyone wants one.

Sorry to hear that you have to give up your Kelton set, Old Croc,

You are going to make somebody happy.

hughie
24th December 2013, 10:25 PM
I have unearthed my copy of RH's DVD on using the McNaughton bowl corer.

As he is going to make the contents available free online, I expect he won't mind a plastic copy of it circulating among forum members?

The advantage of the plastic version is that it won't kill your download quota if you run it multiple times, as I have.

Anyone like to borrow it?

I think Hughie indicated he was interested some time ago, so if still interested he gets first go.

Yep still interested, over seas for Christmas at the moment.

robo hippy
24th December 2013, 10:34 PM
I don't mind at all. I did find out that it doesn't play on some computers, or the title page comes up but isn't active. You can bring up the media player, and it plays, but the chapters aren't listed by title.

robo hippy