PDA

View Full Version : Crack Filler

torchwood
4th August 2013, 01:24 PM
G’day all, just wondering if there is a readymade crack wood filler paste in a tube or tub that’s fastdrying and preferred for woodturning? Anybody got a favourite? Thanks Harry.

pommyphil
4th August 2013, 02:16 PM
I've tried a few and they tend to look like body filler or they are too soft and absorbent

I keep coming back to CA for fine cracks and two part epoxy (Araldite ) with filler

for bigger ones. Sanding dust or coffee for filler.

Phil

chuck1
4th August 2013, 03:22 PM
the last Big fix I did was a post I had a dig in on, so I cut out the piece 80 mm by 40mm like a dovetail and then cut a new bit to slide in and glued it in . got a good colour match .
Boss was happy I did not go get more 4 by 4 and waste a post!
Sellys has a 2 pack epoxy Crystal clear that turns ok but have not tried mixing it with Saw dust!

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 04:18 PM
Bowls or real turning? Clear or painted finish?

torchwood
4th August 2013, 07:45 PM
Bowls or real turning? Clear or painted finish?

Bowls or real turning? Err, is this a trick question? There's usually cracks in everything I make. And they are all clear finished.

powderpost
4th August 2013, 07:58 PM
Bowls or real turning?

Bowl turning is real turning. Ever tried putting a mango in a chair leg?

:spyme:

Jim

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 09:16 PM
:p

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 09:17 PM
Or..... Have you tried to hold up verandah with bowl?:wink:

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 09:23 PM
Bowls or real turning? Err, is this a trick question? There's usually cracks in everything I make. And they are all clear finished.

Nah, not a trick question. If it was big work like a table leg (i.e. real turning:D) and going to be painted, you can fill with body filler or pretty much anything you liked. If it was being oiled or lacquered then you either have to highlight it or camoflage it.

If on the other hand, if you were doing a bowl (not real turning:wink:) there are a number of options available that have been discussed before.

powderpost
4th August 2013, 10:02 PM
Or..... Have you tried to hold up verandah with bowl?:wink:

I know this is a bit off topic, but, just before Christmas I had to re-stump my house. I needed some packing pieces for under the jack. In the shed there was some old bowl blanks about 350mm diameter and bigger also they were up to 150mm thick. They did the trick. Today I did turn one of those blanks, which incidentally was a piece of mango.

So there, I did actually hold up my verandah with a bowl.... :p

Pictures tomorrow night.
Jim :D

Matador
4th August 2013, 11:00 PM
Hi torchwood,

I just saw you had crack filler and I thought G sting.:doh: I'm sorry then I saw
what you were really after. I have this one hardware fella sold me its
Polyfilla painters putty repair all wooden surfaces. You have to wear
gloves to mix it. It in around tube to stop it from drying out I've had
mine for about 15 years and it still good. You just cut enough that you
need to fill a crack or holes. It set very hard. I hope that helps.

Cheers Graham.

cookie48
4th August 2013, 11:44 PM
Well folks here is one for you. I have used metal filler. Just keep playing with it till its soft and plug it in. Yep it is black but I rekon it gives the fault some feature.
Just my two bob's worth.

Tim the Timber Turner
5th August 2013, 02:08 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but, just before Christmas I had to re-stump my house. I needed some packing pieces for under the jack. In the shed there was some old bowl blanks about 350mm diameter and bigger also they were up to 150mm thick. They did the trick. Today I did turn one of those blanks, which incidentally was a piece of mango.

So there, I did actually hold up my verandah with a bowl....:D

Yeah :p

There you go Jim was right.

Now you show us how to keep fruit in a verandah pole:U

Come on , money up or-----

Cheers

Tim:)

Paul39
6th August 2013, 12:51 PM
G’day all, just wondering if there is a readymade crack wood filler paste in a tube or tub that’s fastdrying and preferred for woodturning? Anybody got a favourite? Thanks Harry.

We have plastic Wood on this side of the pond. On bowls and tool handles I prefer running in some CA (cyanoacrylate, sp?) glue then packing in some fine shavings and / or dust of what I'm turning, or sometimes contrasting color, or coffee grounds.

Then add more CA and pack in some more material above the surface. Let dry overnight and resume. In addition to filling, the repair is somewhat structural.

I have also used two part clear epoxy and yellow carpenters glue with filler. They all work.

A deep wide crack or knot hole eilled with yellow glue and sawdust took a week or two to get hard.

There is lots of comment on crack filling, do a search here and on the internet.

torchwood
6th August 2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks Paul, yes I've been using the CA glue and sawdust and yes it works a treat. I just thought there might be a quicker ready made solution. Oh well back to glue sniffing. :wink:
PS. Maybe it's time for uBeaut to invent a crack filler for woodturning, they'll make a killing.