PDA

View Full Version : Magic Wands

Gra
4th August 2013, 05:57 PM
My kids are going to a Harry Potter based cub camp next weekend, so I thought they should have some good wands for it.

SO I started with some basic pine I had lying around.

It was a good prototype, lets see if we can do better.

I grabbed an old broomstick (I liked the irony)

Lets see, what else have I got laying around, how about some Red Gum

Two happy kids, one happy wife, and I had some fun. Good all round

Neil

smiife
4th August 2013, 06:28 PM
hi neal
thats a great job for the kids,well done
hope the kids have a great time,and i think you may
get a few more orders to come:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

pommyphil
4th August 2013, 06:34 PM
But do they work ??

Gra
4th August 2013, 06:43 PM
But do they work ??

well my kids think they are magic

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 06:51 PM
Last Christmas we had all the relos round for dinner (lunch).

With about 10 kids under 16 they decided that Grandad, Uncle Ian could make a magic wand.

They did. If they wanted a wand then they had to make them with a little help from me.

They thoroughly enjoyed it, got them off their I-whatevers, they learnt something and they made something with their own hands.

Great day all round.

Mulgabill
4th August 2013, 07:09 PM
A couple of years ago at the height of the HP craze I made may of the wands. Several different styles and gave each style a HP character name. All where accepted with great pleasure. The only magic I saw was the faces of the kids.:2tsup:

SNAFU11
5th August 2013, 07:30 AM
Great job there Gra,i was watching some tube stuff the other day on turning wands,thinking of having a go myself....be good seeing the kids thinking they were HP....

Mick!!!

Syd Sellers
5th August 2013, 10:19 AM
My kids are going to a Harry Potter based cub camp next weekend, so I thought they should have some good wands for it.

SO I started with some basic pine I had lying around.

It was a good prototype, lets see if we can do better.

I grabbed an old broomstick (I liked the irony)

Lets see, what else have I got laying around, how about some Red Gum

Two happy kids, one happy wife, and I had some fun. Good all round

Neil
Neil, can you give us a few dimensions on these, I have done a few of these too, but always had problems getting them to fit the kids hands...

DonIncognito
5th August 2013, 12:15 PM
Predrill a center hole, glue in a spring, add some sort of mini trigger, and load up on glitter.

Then they could really be magic.

Gra
5th August 2013, 12:29 PM
Predrill a center hole, glue in a spring, add some sort of mini trigger, and load up on glitter.

Then they could really be magic.

I was considering adding a hidden compartment to the handle to hold a feather, to pretend it was a Phoenix feather, your option sounds more like trouble :)

DonIncognito
5th August 2013, 06:17 PM
I was considering adding a hidden compartment to the handle to hold a feather, to pretend it was a Phoenix feather, your option sounds more like trouble :)
i dont know what you are talking about. Giving kids a thing designed to spread around glitter is never a bad idea. Unless you dont like glitter ending up everywhere, I suppose.

Gra
5th August 2013, 09:03 PM
Neil, can you give us a few dimensions on these, I have done a few of these too, but always had problems getting them to fit the kids hands...

All up its about a foot long, the handle is about 90mm long. The handle is about 25mm thick

hope that helps. They were sized for my kids and the sizes were determined by the kids playing with the prototype

one thing I did find was the handle worked better with a concave as opposed to being straight