PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi thicknesser

Don Nethercott
17th November 2002, 10:31 PM
I am looking for a thicknesser, something that does the job but won't break the bank.
The job is planing slabs of various types of timber such as camphor laurel to a thickness suitable for items such as breadboards, trays, etc. Use is purely as a hobby.

Ryobi had a thicknesser for around $1000 (model 12), but have recently released a model 13 for around $488.

Seems heaps cheaper than anything else on the market. Does anyone know anything about these machines?

Thanks
Don

Robert WA
18th November 2002, 12:16 AM
Don.
There was a long discussion here on the Ryobi and other thicknessers. It started on 31/8/02 and you could locate it by doing a search using "Ryobi thicknesser" as your string. The result was not all that good for the Ryobi.
I have, and had then, a DeWalt and am very happy with it. It is 3 times the price of the Ryobi, mind you.
I have seen the new Ryobi in a store and was happy to observe that is now a 4 post unit.

TOMARTOM
18th November 2002, 02:24 PM
I spoke to a rep at Bunnings on Saturday, and he advised that there was a problem in that a component inside the thicknesser stripped and there was a recall of thicknessers. He seemed confident that the problem was corrected and therefore should be no problems.....

I did not buy one I will wait a little longer I thinks.

Regards

Tony

Dennis Hill
19th November 2002, 07:57 PM
I have a Rexon thicknesser and it is OK for hobby use. Get a machine that has cutters/knives that can be re-sharpened. The Rexon (which seems to be a clone /badge enginered copy etc of a number of other machines) has pinned, throw away blades that cost about $70 a set, but they are double sided and do OK in softer timbers. 80 year old tallowwood tries them out though!