PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Window

Hootsmon
20th May 2005, 01:08 PM
Thought of another problem while I was here. We are replacing the old fixed anlge louvres in the bathroom with a wind out awning type in aluminum,. We've got a quote from one lot for 538 bucks and still waiting for another from 2 leading suppliers in our area. Now I have a mate who has done a few houses over and he reckons this is exorbitant. Any thoughts about the price or suggestions from those who have had a job well done?

seriph1
21st May 2005, 11:57 AM
how big's the bloody thing? Sounds outrageous

have fun

jackiew
22nd May 2005, 12:12 PM
They sell windout awning windows at bunnings so go along and get an idea of how much labour you might be being charged.

Ask them how long it will take and how many installers.

I had 2 louvre windows replaced about a year ago with WRC custom made windows - I wanted a casement window half the opening size and an awning window about 1/3 of the other half and the rest a fixed pane. Perfectly normal window in UK but here you'd have thought I was some kind of nut for even proposing it. In case you're wondering you can leave the little window open for ventilation without someone climbing through it and the big window can be angled to catch the breeze in summer.

so we have two specially made windows each 900 x 1200 including priming installation, locks and fly screens - came to about 2000 including installation which took two guys the best part of a day as it turned out to be a total pig of a job ( I'm so glad I didn't decide to install them myself!!!! )

And this was the best price I could get ( and I'm not easily parted with my money). I suspect a lot depends on your suburb. I am convinced that living in a supposedly posh area they stick a bit on top.

I'm still asking myself was it worth the money but I hate awning windows with a passion. And I laugh every time I see someone go out leaving their window wound out enough for someone to use a stubby screw driver to undo the plate holding the chain and just climb in, or just use a chain splitter come to that.

Hootsmon
23rd May 2005, 09:55 AM
It's not a big window only 700mm x 300mm. My mates builder friends gonna get me a trade quote.