PDA

View Full Version : Balusters

artful bodger
16th August 2013, 08:06 PM
Can't honestly say that turning balusters is the most enjoyable job. The previous lot of 50 I'd done a while ago went particularly sour as the joinery I did them for went bust before they paid me, then they miraculously started up business shortly afterwards under a different name with the same people working there! Gotta hate that!
Anyway this lot of 30 is for someone else. A builder who had a brochure of turnings available from a renovation shop here in Hobart. He had the design picked out from the brochure. I told him I could not match that price per unit (see pic) so why don't you buy them from the shop? Because I want them in baltic pine was the answer and they don't supply them in that timber.
I guess the best part of turning these is doing the last one...end of job, although I guess there is a bit of a challenge along the way trying to keep them all as uniform as possible.
Sometimes its a battle to get the balusters to fit between centers on my trusty old woodfast lathe so I have to use a dead centre on the tailstock to steal a few more cms. Note the burning on the end of the knotty bits, its amazing these ones dont catch on fire!

Rod Gilbert
16th August 2013, 09:13 PM
The usual thing when you get a job they just don't fit in the lathe so we do whats necessary to get the job done. Well done I am sure you got them as good as a copy lathe it is surprising how much variation you get from multiples done on a professional copy turned job.
Regards Rod.

Timless Timber
16th August 2013, 09:23 PM
You missed a bit on the 17th one! :D :p

Dontcha hate people like that? :doh:

Good effort... places like that joinery joint, who do things like close and not pay their bills, then re open...seem to have a habit of also catching fire occasionally. :wink: Funny coincidence that! :)

Scott
16th August 2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for sharing, you've done a great job. As a matter of interest, do you use a copying attachment or turn them freehand with a template?

chuck1
16th August 2013, 10:24 PM
well done! makes me laugh that mass produced auto Lathe won't use different Timber! keeps us at the Lathe which is a great thing! people that don't pay need a attitude adjustment

artful bodger
16th August 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing, you've done a great job. As a matter of interest, do you use a copying attachment or turn them freehand with a template?
Freehand.but with a pencil gauge(the template in one of pics).as per photo.

Scott
16th August 2013, 10:48 PM
Freehand.but with a pencil gauge(the template in one of pics).as per photo.

Oooh, well done. Lots of respect from me doing it that way.

Mobyturns
17th August 2013, 07:06 AM
Nice spindle work. We know that feeling 36" lathe 40" job??? :?