PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Thicknesser

DarrylF
31st August 2002, 02:48 PM
I've been looking for a thicknesser - fairly serious weekend home/hobby use. I need some advice.

I think I've ruled out going for a 15" or a combo, so that basically leaves me with one of the various 12.5" bench units. So now to choose.

Budget is not a big deal, but I always love a bargain http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I've looked at the DeWalt, the Delta & their own brand from Carbatec, the Jet. I just called in to Bunnings (I know, I know http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif), and they have the Ryobi on special at $488, which seems like a real bargain.

The unit has 4 posts and all the basic features. No dust extraction included, but I guess I could order that - or probably make a hood fairly easily. Ryobi is Ryobi, but at at least $300 cheaper than the no-name Taiwanese units, with a 1 year warranty & 30 day money back performance guarantee it seems like more of a bargain the more I think about it.

I like to buy quality tools, but is the extra $400 for a Delta or Jet, or $600 for a DeWalt worth it?

Should I hang back & buy a bigger name brand, or give the Ryobi a shot? Anyone out there own one? Any thoughts?

philige
31st August 2002, 08:06 PM
I love http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif my delta portable. six months of trouble free hard work.

Kev Y.
31st August 2002, 08:57 PM
Darryl.. $600.00 for a Dewalt!! LAst time I priced that model/brand, it was $950.00

TAKE IT!

OOOOPPS, just re-read your post, forget the Dewalt, RYOBI MAYBE a good choice, but dont discount the other imported brands.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 31 August 2002).]

DarrylF
31st August 2002, 09:36 PM
Where did you find a DeWalt for $950? Bunnings & Gasweld are around $1,100.

The DeWalt does seem like a very nice machine - the finish is brilliant and it seems to have all the features.

I do like the Delta as well - not quite the features of the DeWalt, but seems very solid and the reviews are of course very good.

Question is, are either of them twice as good as the Ryobi? 'cause they're twice the price http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Iain
1st September 2002, 08:52 AM
Isn't the Ryobi only 10" and are you sure it has 4 posts, I believe that someone said they only have two.
I checked out a lot before getting my 12 1/2" and it is a Taiwan made unit, just like the rest, even Delta is Taiwan as is DeWalt.
I thought they seemed a lot more robust and had bigger infeed and out feed tables.
Dust extraction is also a must as these thing generate more shavings than you thought possible.

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 01 September 2002).]

DarrylF
1st September 2002, 11:52 AM
The old model Ryobi is only a 10" with two posts. The one Bunnies have at the moment is 12.5" and 4 post - very new model apparently. No cutter lock that I could see, but there seem to be various opinions on whether that makes any difference to snipe.

I'm pretty sure all of them in this size are Taiwanese. Comes down to features I guess - plus warranty. I like the idea of being able to take it back in 30 days if I don't like the machine. Did that with a GMC biscuit joiner I couldn't get aligned properly - upgraded to a DeWalt.

Dust extraction is OK in the workshop - I've just finished running 4" PVC throughout. Only have a 550cfm extractor at the moment, but it seems to do the job fine. I'll have to buy or rig a dust extraction hood, but I don't think that should be too much of a problem.

Iain
1st September 2002, 12:14 PM
Snipe, I posted this before and I will do it again, worth a read..... http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm
Or just allow a couple of inches extra.

------------------

DarrylF
1st September 2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks - I've seen it before. Makes a lot of sense - apparently helps the board feed smoothly, and stops snipe caused by the board tilting off level on the in or out feed stages.

I guess the main thing I'm worried about with the Ryobi is snipe caused by the cutter head assembly moving/tilting on the posts as the board moves in & out. I'm not sure how solid the assembly is - I guess a loose fit on the 4 posts would lead to movement?

Like you say, if it's a problem I can just allow for the wastage - but there's always that situation where you only have just enough timber to finish the project http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I need a bigger workshop. And a separate timber storage shed. And a separate area for finishing. And more time to spend in it. Don't we all....

Iain
2nd September 2002, 08:15 AM
Ideal workshop size is what you already have plus 200%, cost of living is your income plus 40%.
Thats my situation anyway, probably applies to most of us.
Back to snipe, if Bunnies have one on display, grab the cutterhead assembly (carefully, dem blades dem is sharp) and give it a wobble, mine won't budge. Could be indicative of how solid it is.
Problem of course with 'Best Brand' is that every dealer will bag the brand they don't stock, except Bunnies who wouldn't have a clue whats out there anyway. Most seem to be good quality and appear to be badge engineered. Mine is a Geetech and is of very solid construction, even the gears and alignment parts are all well finished metal.
Make sure that a dust port is available too as making one could probably be a pain.
Incidentally, Geetech is a Taiwan manufacturer and I suspect the source of DeWalt, Delta,Carbatec and others. I had a look at their web site and they manufacture a range of WW power tools.

------------------

Pete
2nd September 2002, 02:25 PM
So, does anybody out there have a Dewalt thicknesser? I too am looking for a thicknesser. I liked the Jet but can't see $1600 value in it. Dewalt seems to receive rave reviews but how does it perform?
Thansk,
Peter

Mick4412
2nd September 2002, 05:47 PM
Darryl
For what it's worth.
When I was looking for a thicknesser some months ago, one of the better Bunnings assistants in whom I have a lot of faith, told me about this new Ryobi model, and advised me to wait. I was talking to her today. They sold out of their first delivery of the new Ryobi within days - didn't even unpack them for display. Have had no complaints, and have a large number of back orders to fill
Mick

DarrylF
2nd September 2002, 08:55 PM
Iain: I'll do that. So far I've not been able to get real hands on with it - tough to get hold of the one guy in each store who seems to know what day it is http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I've been trying to stay away from salesmen this time around - they all bag each other. I've been hunting around the bulletin boards, review sites etc. - trying to learn as much as I can and get a good range of opinions.

DarrylF
2nd September 2002, 08:58 PM
Pete: I like the look of the DeWalt too - just seems like they've employed some really good designers. If the look & ergonomics are anything to go by, it should be a nice machine. The reviews on the US forums basically put it on a par with the Delta performance wise.

Mick: I've occasionally found good help at Bunnings too - varies a hell of a lot though. One guy in particular at a store 1/2 hour North of me is a cabinetmaker and seems to really know his stuff.

You normally expect Ryobi to be really lightweight and cheap - but this unit surprised me. Seems at least as good as the no-name Taiwanese units, but with a large company warranty - and at half the price. I'm not surprised they are selling a lot of them. From hunting around the various wood sites, it seems this unit is part of a new range they are releasing. Certainly here in Aus the competition from GMC & others has really got to be eating their market share. The tool market seems to be getting very, very crowded.

As much as we all bag Ryobi, I've had a small bench drill from them for 15 years now, and it's still going strong, despite being treated incredibly badly http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif I finally bought myself a larger, better quality unit a couple of weeks ago, but the old one is still going to get some use.

Assuming a closer inspection checks out, I'm going to go see if I can pick up the thicknesser this weekend I think.

DPB
3rd September 2002, 10:36 AM
Darryl, it looks like you've made a decision. Hope the Ryobi meets your expectations.

Do us a favour after you've used it for a few months - give us a critique of it's pros and cons - it's strenghts and weaknesses.

I suspect many of us have a thicknesser on their shopping list also.

------------------
Woodchuck Canuck
Good luck is the residue of good planning!

Robert WA
3rd September 2002, 07:21 PM
I have a Dewalt and am very happy with it. I bought it about 15 months ago from a small builder's supply store for $950. At the time the same router was selling for a bit over $1050 at Bunnings etc. I buy a lot of stuff from this store and he gave me a discount.
If you can get one for less than $1000 then you will be doing OK.
I won't comment on the relative merits of other brand products as I have not seen them in operation, except for a brief look at a Ryobi in another home workshop. I have to say that the Ryobi did the job on a piece of sheoak and produced a nice finish.

DarrylF
3rd September 2002, 10:30 PM
I think I'll pick it up one night this week - seems there is a Bunnings near work that's open late. Saturday morning might be the occasion to go get some timber to make up a bench for it, and give it the first run http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

The reports I've read on the older Ryobi have been pretty good - and the construction seems nowhere near the standard of this new unit. Nobody seems to have any reports anywhere on the new unit though. Seems the warranty is two years, not 1 - so that definitely helps.

I'll let you guys know how the setup & first runs go.

DarrylF
3rd September 2002, 10:56 PM
Robert - one thing I've noticed looking around the US boards for reviews etc is that the DeWalt seems to go in the US for around US$400 - but here it's up around $1,100 most places. Theoretically it should be around $800 - and at that price I'd definitely ditch the Ryobi and pay the extra. The DeWalt seems like a very nicely built machine.

Maybe the new Ryobi hitting the market will prompt a bit more realistic pricing.

Darryn
3rd September 2002, 11:52 PM
I had a look at the Ryobi thicknesser at a show the other day. It looked reasonably solid with four columns and not a great deal different in its basic design the the much lauded Dewalt unit.

If I hadn't just bought the Scheppach combination a few days earlier I most likely would have bought the ryobi which was on display and had a bit of a ding in it which they were willing to negotiate over and then looked out for a big old wide buzzer

Just my 2 cents worth
Darryn

DarrylF
7th September 2002, 06:43 PM
Well, I bit the bullet last night and picked up the new Ryobi thicknesser.

Set it up this morning and started testing. First impressions were reasonable - heavy, quite solid, reasonable finish and all seemed OK. The infeed & outfeed tables needed adjusting, but I was expecting that.

I used half a dozen lengths around 500 - 600mm of various timbers for the test. I started with radiata pine, tassie oak, jarrah - all around 40 x 70mm, plus a 250mm x 19mm pine board.

The first problem I hit was that it is physically impossible to cut more than 1mm at a time - the casting that holds the motor & cutter head is in the way. Cutting 1mm was not fun either - it sounded like it was working way too hard.

Snipe was bad - very bad, both leading & trailing ends. I tried the trick with the melamine board, but that didn't really help either.

Removing the board after the cut was way too hard - the outfeed roller is not driven, so you wind up with the board jammed under it. Holding the housing & pulling the board out results in scratches over the last 60mm or so.

Running timber under one section of the cutter head (the left) results in ridges along the length of the board - seems the blades needed resharpening out of the box. Out of the box it produced a difference in thickness across the width of the 250mm board of around 0.5mm.

I found out that Ryobi are not importing any dust collection fittings into Australia. Making one wouldn't be too bad - except that there are not really any proper mountings for one. These things make a hell of a lot of sawdust - I need to hook up dust collection. I also found out that Ryobi are not expecting any stock of blades for a month or more.

I guess if you're prepared to deal with the bad snipe, and you can adjust the machine well enough, and you don't mind only cutting 1mm max at a time, then the Ryobi is OK. Certainly a lot better than the old model, and at $488 dirt cheap.

Me, I wasn't impressed at all. It was worth a shot - and if it had have been good enough, would have been a bargain. I took it back to Bunnings this afternoon and bought a DeWalt.

I noticed the DeWalt in the latest Gasweld catalogue for $1,135 and Bunnings had it for $1,189. True to their price match guarantee, Bunnings dropped the price 10% below Gasweld and I got it for $1,021.

Night and day is the best description of the difference. I set it up & ran some boards through it this afternoon. The fit & finish of the machine is much better.

Like the Ryobi, I had to adjust the tables, but that wasn't a big deal. Again, no dust collector fitting, but one is available apparently, and there are decent mountings for it. It's larger & heavier than the Ryobi - mostly a result of the heavier base casting.

I ran the same boards through the machine and all worked very well. Zero difference in thickness across a 250mm wide board, and a brilliant finish. A rough piece of tassie oak comes up beautifully smooth. I ran a 70mm wide piece of jarrah down to 5mm thick and it did a great job of it. The results are so smooth that you'd barely have to sand.

I ran a couple of lenghts of radiata pine 2 x 3 framing timber through to make a start on a roll around stand for the machine. It's the usual hardware store rubbish - full of big, open knots & so on. The DeWalt did a nice job of it, dealt with the knots fine. They both came up very well.

I'm getting a little snipe most of the time - enough to feel, but not enough to measure with a dial caliper - and only on the leading edge. It seems to be worst with the short lengths, and I think it's me not holding the board down as I feed it in. I expect I'll have to improve my setup & technique to minimise it.

The machine has a thickness preset dial - 6, 12 & 19mm - and best of all a depth of cut indicator, which is very handy. They include a spare belt in the box. There was also a sheet of 24(!) grit glass paper in the box as well. I still have to work out what that's for - I think for dressing the rubber coated rollers.

Seems I proved to myself (again), you get what you pay for http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Now I just have to build the stand for it, and ring DeWalt on Monday and order the dust collection hood.

JackG
9th September 2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the report Darryl this are the kind of reviews we need and once again the price matches the performance.

I already asked a while ago but perhaps someone went shopping since. Anyone has used the Taiwan planers/thicknessers sold by Carbatec Timbecon and others at $1000-$1200 range ? Do they also match the price ? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Jack

DarrylF
10th September 2002, 07:02 AM
Jack: From the shopping I did, I wouldn't touch the one from Timbecon - they tend to sell some kinda nasty stuff from what I've seen http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

For the money, I'd shy away from the own-brand 12.5 & 13" Taiwanese thicknessers from Carbatec too - you can get a Delta for basically the same price, or pay a little more and get the DeWalt (I got mine for $1,021). The 15" own brand unit that Carbatec sell is nice - if you have the space to dedicate to it, and you're willing to pay around $1,600 for it.

craigb
10th September 2002, 10:34 AM
Yes, thanks for the reviews Darryl.
From what I've seen on this board and elsewhere on the web it seems to be that they rank in the following order?

1. DeWalt
2. Delta
3. Jet
4. Carbatec
5. Timbecon / Ryobi

With the Jet and the Delta being about $200
cheaper that the DeWalt. I guess the question is is the DeWalt a $200 better machine?

Cheers
Craig

JackG
10th September 2002, 01:25 PM
I am looking a a combined planer/thicknesser unfortunately the new shed will not have enough room for separate machines (9.5m x 3.6m).
Regarding the brands we already went trough it on other threads and it seems we should talk about particular models and not brands.

The Carbatec P/T 260 seems to be identical to the one from Hare & forbes which is identical to the Timbecon one, I did not see the ledacraft irl but it seems to be identical again from the photos, Elecktra Beckum also has a model from the same base but with a much better finish for over double the price. That PT 260 as sold by almost everyone seems to be fairly popular but I cant get the opinion of anyone who has used it.

I dont have a set budget but like everyone I want to pay the least ammount possible for a suitable product, lets say that I would like to (must ?) keep it under $ 2500 for the P/T combo, I saw some second hand more robust equipment at affordable price in the paper but it seems that due to the power needed they always come in 3 phase.

Anyway I still have a few month to make up my mind and perhaps if a nice bonus comes up (but I doubt) I will reconsider the complete combination machine like a Minimax Lab300 or Hammer C3-31.

Jack

DarrylF
10th September 2002, 08:42 PM
Craig:
From what I've seen, the position of DeWalt & Delta seem to be interchangable - some think one is better than the other. For what it's worth, I liked the DeWalt for several reasons:
* The finish of the machine seems better to me - nicer machining, heavier base, blade setters & other tools on board etc.
* DeWalt have a local office, and their own service centres. Delta is distributed by Carbatec, and I like dealing with them, but I can't take a Delta back to a store 15 minutes away and swap it over if it dies.
* DeWalt have the 30 day money back guarantee - figured I couldn't lose if I didn't like it.

And I wound up paying $122 more for the DeWalt than the Delta. For me it was worth it.

I like Jet machinery, and I will probably buy a Jet cabinet saw fairly soon, but I decided against a Jet thicknesser for the same reasons I didn't buy the Delta.

BTW - I have a chisel mortiser & bandsaw from Delta, mitre saw & biscuit joiner from DeWalt, and an air cleaner from Jet - I like all of them.

Oh yeah - came across something today that made me wish I'd held off a little longer http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif DeWalt have a service centre at Homebush, and sell scratched & recon tools at good prices apparently. Might be worth giving them a call since you're in Sydney - I'm going to go see if I can pick up the dust extraction fitting for my thicknesser.

DarrylF
10th September 2002, 09:16 PM
Jack:
I thought about a combo machine for quite a while, but finally decided I didn't want to pay the extra, I wanted the extra capacity, I could deal with the space issues. Plus I don't have to spend all the money at once.

My workshop is a standard 2 car garage. I've built a roll around cabinet for the thicknesser with lockable 75mm dia wheels. I've built the cabinet so that I can add in some drawers for extra storage when I get to it. At the moment it sits in some kinda dead space at the back of my table saw.

When I get the jointer I'll need to rearrange a bit, but the shop needs that anyway - and it won't really be a problem to fit it in.

Just make sure you think about the working space required when you're looking at a machine - remember that for it to be usable you'll need at least 2m (preferably 3m) of open space either end of the thicknesser. Most of the time the jointer won't need that much - assuming you use it mostly for edge jointing.

The jointer table is around 800mm high, so I should be able to place it between 2 workbenches without a problem. The thicknesser can just be pushed out of the way most of the time and only rolled out into my working area when I need to use it.

Darryn
10th September 2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JackG:
I am looking a a combined planer/thicknesser unfortunately the new shed will not have enough room for separate machines (9.5m x 3.6m).
Elecktra Beckum also has a model from the same base but with a much better finish for over double the price.
Jack

The Electra beckum is the one the others copied!!!

Darryn
Who reckons Scheppach are not too shabby!

craigb
11th September 2002, 11:02 AM
Darryl,
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I might have
to jump on a train one lunchtime and check them out.

Craig

DarrylF
11th September 2002, 08:39 PM
Craig: You might want to give them a call first. I rang them today to sort out the accessories I need for the thicknesser and asked about what scratched/recon gear they had in stock. Word is apparently that they always have some stock - especially cordless drills etc - but that it varies a lot, and they currently don't have much in the way of the larger machines.

It sounded to me like they tend to shift a lot of it to dealers, not so much retail. Definitely worth a call though.

John Saxton
12th September 2002, 04:46 PM
Metabo have a nice over& under unit available in a couple of different sizes.
Whilst I don't have the model No's for them a cursory glance and the recommendation by one of my local blokes who has not put me crook so far was good enough for me to point out to a fellow woodworker living some distance away.

This may also be an option fot you to check out!

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

JackG
13th September 2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info John, I believe you refer to this unit http://www.woodworking.com.au/Planer/ADH1630index.htm

In fact it is the unit I was lookin as the next step from the pt260 it costs about $2500 I havent seen it irl yet but will soon, I am glad it gets favorable feed back.

Thanks

Jack

John Saxton
13th September 2002, 09:03 PM
G'day Jack,I believe there was also another smaller model going for around $1499. but he had it cheaper as a W/Work show special still on.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

rocket
14th September 2002, 11:28 PM
I recently purchased the Combination Planer Thickneser PT260 from Carba-Tec. I too wanted a combination machine to save on space so it seemed a good idea.
Pros:
The planer is 10 inch and you would pay more for a cast iron 8 inch.
The full bed of the Thicknesser is machined alloy rather than pressed steel.
The thicknesser has four posts.
It has a 3 HP single phase motor
As mentioned it does reduce floor space due to it being a combination machine.
There are a number of micro switches to stop you starting the machine if you haven't set it up properly.
Cons:
Cast alloy rather than cast iron.
Disposable Blades - expensive at $67 a pair however they are double sided.
This is a light duty machine that shouldn't be considered for serious production runs.
Summary
I am reasonably happy with the machine for the occasional use it gets. I would prefer a cast iron unit but that would cost another $2,000. It is handy to have in the workshop.

BrianT
15th September 2002, 11:06 AM
Greeting folks, I'm unable to add any expertise to any of the above but pass this on for what it's worth/comment as I am in the early stages of buying a thicknesser having just picked up a JET table saw. Anyway, when picking up the saw, I was shown a new model JET 12-1/2" thicknesser with larger in-feed/out-feed extension table area and two adjustable anti snipe gizmos and to be sold at a price a bit below the $963 quoted for the current model. Someone out there who knows what they are talking about (certainly not me) may have seen and or purchased this unit but the staff at David Trembath Agencies in SA were impressed and they aren't prone to going overboard in their quest to flog you something.
Regards
Brian

[This message has been edited by BrianT (edited 15 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by BrianT (edited 15 September 2002).]

JackG
16th September 2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info John, I think the smaller one is again derived from the PT260.

Rocket,I am glad finally someone says something about that model http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif I have a few questions about it if you have time to answer.

Is it the type of machine you spend more time adjusting than using it ?
Does the thicknesser snipe much?
I expect it to be pretty noisy, is it like a circular saw or much worse ?
You have to completely remove one of the tables to use the thicknesser is it a quick operation or more like 5 10 min job ?
You wouldnt use it for production runs, do you feel that feeding like 30 lm a week through it is too much for that machine ?

Thanks

Jack

craigb
16th September 2002, 05:24 PM
Darryl,
I did end up calling DeWalt and as you mentioned, they didn't have any "factory seconds" available. However, the quoted me only $907 for a new in the box one. A couple of calls around to the dealers showed that this was nearly $250 less than anybody else was selling them for. Unfortunately Bunnings don't carry them in Sydney ( I rang three separate stores) so wasn't able to get their 10%. I picked up one from DeWalt today. I can only echo your comments. It is a fine machine and I think at that price an absolute bargain. So I'll definitely be calling DeWalt next time I'm shopping for a tool!

Cheers
Craig

DarrylF
16th September 2002, 08:09 PM
Craig
Why is it as soon as you buy anything you find someone else just bought it cheaper?? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif I wish I'd called DeWalt first. Ahh well, life's like that sometimes.

I ran another 15m or so of pine through the machine on the weekend - still very happy. I ran 2.5m lengths this time, and got absolutely no snipe I could see or measure. I got the dust extractor cowling on Friday (about $65 from DeWalt including delivery and I got it the morning after I ordered it), so I was using that. It picked up 99% of the chips - still had a little to clean up afterwards, but didn't take more than half a minute.

I guess the reason why DeWalt didn't have any factory seconds is either they've not sold enough to get many back, or just that very few of them come back - I think more the latter. They told me when I rang they get a lot of cordless drills - which is a good enough reason for me to stay away from their drills http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I know Bunnings at Artarmon stock the thicknessers, and I gather that it's a relatively new product to Bunnings - at least the stores that used to be BBC. My local had only just got them in, and I was the first to buy one there.

Definitely a good machine.

[This message has been edited by DarrylF (edited 16 September 2002).]

rocket
22nd September 2002, 01:08 PM
Hi Jack,
Sorrry for the delay in responding

Is it the type of machine you spend more time adjusting than using it ?
Compared to dedicated machines there is an overhead to the combined planer/thicknesser. To thickness you have to remove the infeed table and dust shoot. The dust shoots are plastic and hard to position correctly - if you get it wrong it doesn't activate the micro switch and the unit will not operate. It is a pain.

Does the thicknesser snipe much?
Very little snipe which I think comes from a reasonable length bed on the thicknesser. The thicknesser does have a tendancy to clog so make sure you have a good dust extraction system or just let the chips fly around in the workshop.

I expect it to be pretty noisy, is it like a circular saw or much worse ?
I was surprised at the noise level. It is noisy especially with a wide board but so is any thicknesser. It is not as noisy as the Dewalt/CarbaTec/etc thicknessers. Obviously hearing protection should be worn but not too bad and the neighbours haven't complained - yet.

You have to completely remove one of the tables to use the thicknesser is it a quick operation or more like 5 10 min job ?
More like the 5-10 minutes. The infeed table comes off easily but positioning the dust shoots and winding the table up adds to the overhead. The machine has to be set up properly otherwise the micro switches don't work. Good safety feature but if you get it wrong it takes a while to find.

You wouldnt use it for production runs, do you feel that feeding like 30 lm a week through it is too much for that machine ?
Yes I do and added to this having fairly soft cast alloy tables it will not be long before there is some ware marks on the tables. I buy dressed timber and only need to resize the occassional bit so I can get by. If money wasn't a driving force then I would buy a cast iron Kity or equivalent. The additional $1500 over the cost of the PT260 was not justified for me.

hope this helps

rocket

Rod Smith
23rd September 2002, 12:20 AM
Jack
If your interested in a combination buzzer/thicknesser I would suggest you have a look at the metabo. I have had one for a few years (actually an emco, now bought out by metabo) and its a good machine in this catagory imho. Dust shoot works well in both modes, change over is simple and takes less than 30 secs.
Now sold as ASH 1630
cheers
Rod

JackG
24th September 2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys, great to have feedback from the 2 machines I had selected. I'll try to see the metabo irl and as far as so far I have had 100% satisfaction with metabo tools it already has a head start.

Thanks

Jacques

Pete
20th November 2002, 10:38 PM
Craig,
You were the lucky one! I called Dewalt about the same time you did and was quoted $960 for the unit. Called there today to check if they had one in stock before driving down to purchase my long awaited toy. The girl quoted a price closer to $1500! When questioned about the former price I was informed that previously they had an incorrect price in the computer and after selling a couple head office informed her of the mistake. Nothing quite like being in the right place at the right time eh?

Are you enjoying the use of your Dewalt?

Cheers,
Peter

soundman
20th November 2002, 10:52 PM
I was in carbatec Brisbane) the other day and noticed a new thicknesser model under the carbatec brand.
Looked verrry suspiciously like the delta 12 1/2 inch machine

could be worth a look for those interested.

can't quote the price but it was a lot less than the delta sitting next to it.

check it out chaps & lets hear what you think.

DarrylF
21st November 2002, 06:03 AM
Pete,

Do as I did and pick up a catalogue from Gasweld - they may still have their special on. I took that to Bunnies and did the 10% thing and wound up with a Dewalt for a little over $1,000. Great machine, still very happy with it.

craigb
21st November 2002, 09:20 AM
Pete,

Yep still very happy with the DeWalt, although I haven't had much time to do any serious woodwork lately - got some projects planned though. Believe me it's unusual for me to get the bargain - the opposite is usually the case. Thing is though, now that I have the thicknesser, I think I really need a jointer as well - I guess that's the thing with this hobby - there's always another tool/toy to buy http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif.

Have you thought about the Delta thicknesser? I beleive it's rated just as highly as the DeWalt but is a fair bit cheaper than $1500.

Craig

Pete
21st November 2002, 07:07 PM
I'll probably buy it from Gasweld. They have quoted $1025. I HATE bunnies predatory pricing, I'd rather give my business to the guy that is willing to offer a good deal.

Cheers,
Peter

DarrylF
21st November 2002, 08:01 PM
Go for it Pete - especially if you've got a decent Gasweld store locally. See if they still have offer on of a spare set of blades free - will work out about the same as buying the Dewalt from Bunnies and buying the blades later.

I bought the Ryobi from Bunnies first, and I didn't leave myself enough time that day to go get my refund & get back to Gasweld - plus I've never really had good service from my local Gasweld.