PDA

View Full Version : Mango Bowl

Scott
23rd August 2013, 11:39 PM
This is a bit of Mapleman's Mango root ball turned into a bowl. I enjoyed turning this one but Im' not entirely happy with the foot and maybe the rim. It's about 150mm in diameter at the rim and about 70mm high. It's been friction polished and finished with Nitrocellulose lacquer.

This is the first photo taken with a new setup which I made today, I'll post more on the setup on the weekend. I had to touch it up a bit in photoshop.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/282227-mango-bowl.jpg

tea lady
24th August 2013, 12:38 AM
Not bad. (as in really nice . I like understatemnt. ) Can't see the foot from here, but I like the shadow from it. :cool:

(Just quietly, is the pic a little out of focus? :pi: It could just be that I need to clean my glasses. A macro shot of the figure would be nice.)

Maybe the slight outward angle of the rim upsets the line of the form. But I wouldn't refuse that a place in my house. :D

Kidbee
24th August 2013, 08:54 AM
Looks utilitarian in design and I like the simplicity of the form. What a shame so much mango goes into woodchippers.

Scott
24th August 2013, 11:56 AM
Not bad. (as in really nice . I like understatemnt. ) Can't see the foot from here, but I like the shadow from it. :cool:

(Just quietly, is the pic a little out of focus? :pi: It could just be that I need to clean my glasses. A macro shot of the figure would be nice.)

Maybe the slight outward angle of the rim upsets the line of the form. But I wouldn't refuse that a place in my house. :D

Thanks for your input Tea Lady. Photography is insanely hard to get right. I think that it looks out of focus because the image is over-exposed. I'm using the photo setup that Jamie Donaldson (http://www.jamiedonaldsonwoodturner.com) uses and need to refine the setup a little. I also need to learn how to use the manual settings on my camera properly :)

The piece looks a whole lot better than the image suggests though. I need to get some lessons me thinks :)

tea lady
24th August 2013, 12:42 PM
Focal length and deciding exactly which spot on the bowl you are focussing on is my tip. :cool: Short focul length- focus on the front rim, or some detail and then the rest is out of focus. Long focul length you have to make sure ALL of the object is within the focal range. Sometimes the auto focus can't focus on the curved edge of an object if it is curving away to sharply. Set the focus on another object that distance if you particularly want that part in focus (by half depressing shutter and hold) , and then re-frame the pic.

tea lady
24th August 2013, 12:45 PM
I reckon a photography workshop would be good. At Grumpies house.:cool: If we set it up right we can have the images going straight to the 'puter. Get immediate results. :cool:

That's it. Our next "turn-around" won't have a lathe in sight. :D

Scott
24th August 2013, 12:47 PM
I reckon a photography workshop would be good. At Grumpies house.:cool: If we set it up right we can have the images going straight to the 'puter. Get immediate results. :cool:

That's it. Our next "turn-around" won't have a lathe in sight. :D

Great idea!

Scott
24th August 2013, 12:49 PM
Focal length and deciding exactly which spot on the bowl you are focussing on is my tip. :cool: Short focul length- focus on the front rim, or some detail and then the rest is out of focus. Long focul length you have to make sure ALL of the object is within the focal range. Sometimes the auto focus can't focus on the curved edge of an object if it is curving away to sharply. Set the focus on another object that distance if you particularly want that part in focus (by half depressing shutter and hold) , and then re-frame the pic.

Thanks Tea Lady, you've given me an idea. I've got some time this afternoon and I think I'll have a play around with HDR imaging. That might solve the issue of multiple points to focus on.

tea lady
24th August 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks Tea Lady, you've given me an idea. I've got some time this afternoon and I think I'll have a play around with HDR imaging. That might solve the issue of multiple points to focus on.And a pic of this foot you don't like? :D

Scott
24th August 2013, 01:00 PM
And a pic of this foot you don't like? :D

No probs :)

Scott
25th August 2013, 01:08 PM
Okay, I reshot the bowl and played around in photoshop. I think these images are a little better.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/282395-0002-1-wwf.jpg

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/282396-0002-2-wwf.jpg

And here's the foot, as requested by Tea Lady :)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/282399-foot-wwf.jpg

ian thorn
25th August 2013, 02:16 PM
those 2 shots are far better and really show off the wood nice bowl Scot.

Ian

Scott
25th August 2013, 02:22 PM
those 2 shots are far better and really show off the wood nice bowl Scot.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

rsser
25th August 2013, 06:41 PM
Lovely figure in the wood Scott.

Is it just the pics? The foot looks relieved from the inside out; I'd do it the other way.

Foot/body junction could have done with a bit of cleaning up; a small spindle gouge is good for that.

The body/rim junction ... hmm. My choice would have been to go with a flowing line, as per an Ogee form, given the proportions of the blank.

Just my 2 cents worth.

tea lady
26th August 2013, 05:24 PM
Hmm. Better. :pi: I would have made the rim more in focus. Looks like the most in focus bit is near the base. Next we also need to fiddle with the flash and defuse it so you don't get a shiny spot right in the middle. :U Are you using a separate light? Or flash on the camera?

And then we get REALLY fussy and get a little mirror or even a piece of card and reflect some light under the bowl so its not so dead black under there.

:pi: The foot ring seems a little small In diameter. But might work better if it wasn't so tall. And as Ern says you have the "highest" spot on the ring near the middle not the outside. (Getting REALLY fussy now.... ) I like the hollowed center of the foot to be the same level as the body of the bowl.

So when are we having that photography workshop? :D

(Sorry I'm in a critical mood. But would really like a photo workshop too. :) )